Starting my 3rd week and it's a bit of a struggle

TheWombat
on 11/7/20 5:11 pm
VSG on 06/11/18

I had a whole team; the surgeon did the cutting, the endocrinologist dealt with other medical stuff, and the dietitian advised me on my diet. Are you working with a dietitian? They usually have loads of *practical* advice on how to cope while your stomach is healing. It would probably help to discuss this issue with a dietitian who is experienced with WLS.

My dietitian did not expect WLS patients to meet their protein requirements until perhaps 3 months after surgery. Her focus was on fluids, fluids, fluids, and avoiding certain foods and textures until my stomach healed. Protein shakes are difficult to digest, and some people simply can't tolerate them at first.

If adding protein shakes into your diet makes it more difficult for you to drink enough water, I suggest you explain that to your surgeon. Also, you might try watering down the shake. Or make your own protein drinks, adding in half a serving of protein powder instead of a full serving. That's one of the best suggestions I got from my dietitian. With less of the powder, the drink was easier on my stomach and better-tasting. I ended up drinking more of it, so I got more protein than I would have if I had tried it full-strength.

Lina_Ando
on 11/9/20 11:42 am

That's a great suggestion. I will ask about that (I may just try it, because it won't hurt anything"

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 42 replies · 320 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 374 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 466 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 380 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 42 replies · 320 views