Keto after RNY(5+yrs post op)

Back_on_track
on 11/16/20 6:30 am
RNY on 03/23/12

Hey gang! Was a memeber early days post op.. now 8.5 yrs later..I'm BAACCKK!! lol

Any pros out there that have had some regain and tried other methods? Thoughts on Keto or a version of?

Thanks in advance!

Dee_Caprini
on 11/16/20 3:25 pm

I tried the keto thing and I guess I am sensitive to fats so it didn't work well for me. I was told that I can do a modified keto, which is typically the bariatric diet to begin with but nix the "keto bread" type of foods since it makes us fell icky (at least my pouch it does).

(deactivated member)
on 11/16/20 4:20 pm, edited 11/16/20 8:21 am
RNY on 01/01/14

I read an interesting article that hormonal changes particularly after 40 in ladies make keto diets NOT work 75% of the time.

I know eating Keto often works Great for guys ... not so much for the ladies .

Its also risky long term kidney wise ... personally I wouldn't do it even if I Could ..but since I pretty much get sick from fat and also dislike it its an absolute no-go for me .

I DO think that the Suzanne Somers diet ... which was either eating fatty protein with only salad ( no carbs) or fat free carbs and always two whole hours apart DOES work.

I ate this way in Europe for two months while maintaining a camera-friendly modeling weight ( which is VERY VERY hard for me NOW ... was practically IMPOSSIBLE then pre WLS) ... and I didn't gain an OUNCE despite eating delicious Italian and French restaurant food ( so def not fat free or even low-fat ) once or even twice a day.

Yes , I DID walk around a LOT.

And cardio exercised like two hours a day which was pretty normal for me even pre WLS when I was trying to control my weight ( which was most of the time )

But I did eat the homemade gelato on every corner , drank local delicious wines, and ate fresh bread with impunity ...I was actually AMAZED at the results .

I still try to eat like that .. if I eat a meal with " real" full fat cheese I Try to avoid bread ...if I eat a steak, ditto.

And then I wait a few hours before attempting dessert ... which is easy in good company.

Queen JB
on 11/17/20 1:53 am
RNY on 07/20/15

I had really good luck with Keto... at first! Here is what happened.

I had gained about 7 pounds and decided that I was going to go hard on Keto to help get it off. I read a few books, went nuts throwing out all carbs in the house and replaced them with keto friendly foods. I was super motivated.

I dropped 5 of my 7 pounds so fast! But man, it was really hard to stay on such a strict diet. And the problem with keto is that it will convert fat into energy if the only thing you give your body is fat... but if you add in any carbs, your body will use the carbs for energy, first, and then the fat just sits on your body. I was like 90% compliant, but with keto--that's not nearly good enough, and I started to regain. I was really frustrated.

Long story short--I highly recommend it for a 2 week crash to get some weight off, but unless you are a total superhero, you will struggle to keep up the compliance you need to keep up with it. I changed from Keto over to Weigh****chers to learn how to add back some carbs and balanced diet. It was really helpful to learn from, and now I am back to chipping away at the regain on my own.

Good luck! Feel free to join is every day on the menu thread to share your menu and see what others are eating. We range from people who are many years post op and battling regain to newbies who are just starting to eat solid foods and everyone in between. Plus we are a fun group :)

• High Weight before LapBand: 200 (2008)
  • High Weight before RNY: 160 (2015)
  • Lowest post-op weight: 110 (2016)
  • Maintenance Weight: 120 (2017-2019)
  • Battling Regain Weight: 135 (current)

H.A.L.A B.
on 11/18/20 10:51 am

That: you

And the problem with keto is that it will convert fat into energy if the only thing you give your body is fat... but if you add in any carbs, your body will use the carbs for energy, first, and then the fat just sits on your body. I was like 90% compliant, but with keto--that's not nearly good enough, and I started to regain. I was really frustrated.

Some people think they ca cheat on keto not realizing that not only that would prevent them from become fat adapted and start losing weight. It could take a 7-10 days eating keto for our body to stop using stored glycogen and start using fat for energy. "Cheating" would prevent that.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Erin T.
on 11/17/20 3:07 am
VSG on 01/17/17

The problem with keto is that it's really effective for the short term, but not very sustainable for the long term. When you 'fall off the wagon' the weight comes back on quick.

I have good luck maintaining on a low-carb diet (I have diabetes, so don't really have a choice if I want to be healthy). I eat 75-120g of carbs with my 2,000 calorie diet. The SAD is around 250g, so that's quite low compared to "average". Because my carbs are low, my fat is naturally on the higher end.

In my case I don't eat breakfast, but have coffee with real cream. Then I eat lunch/dinner and tend my carbs more towards dinner and my late snack as that's when I can personally tolerate carbs.

VSG: 1/17/17

5'7" HW: 283 SW: 229 CW: 135-140 GW: 145

Pre-op: 53 M1: 22 M2: 12 M3: 12 M4: 8 M5: 10 M6: 11 M7: 5 M8: 6 M9-M13: 15-ish

LBL/BL w/ Fat Transfer 1/29/18

White Dove
on 11/17/20 5:54 am - Warren, OH

I never did Keto, but I did Atkins off and on since the 1970's. I followed Atkins recipes, and ate very high fat. I used a lot of cream, butter, eggs, bacon, and cheeses. I found a bakery that specialized in low carb and got any bread from them. Low carb bread was an very occasional treat. I made really good tasting desserts with flaxseed, coconut flour, or almond meal. I made ice cream several times a week with heavy whipping cream. For holidays, I made low carb cheesecakes and fudges.

I kept my weight under control that way for many years. When I became diabetic my doctor recommended RNY. I was 160 at 5'2" and did not think insurance would pay. I also thought it was too drastic. At the end of five years on insulin, I found myself much heavier and did qualify for the surgery at 208. After surgery, I stopped the high fat and ate low carb and low fat. I got down to 127.

I started having regain at 30 months after surgery. I went to Weigh****chers and learned to eat a variety of foods. I added back bread and real sugar. It was still in very limited amounts, but I did learn to maintain my weight at 136 without having any forbidden foods. I still kept it mostly low carb.

Any diet plan will work for a while. Long term you need to find what you can really live with and still keep your weight under control. For me, that is Weigh****chers.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 50 replies · 514 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 473 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 424 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 427 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 301 views