What's on your THANKSGIVING Thursday Menu?

MadisonRose
on 11/26/20 7:28 am
RNY on 01/23/19

Happy thanksgiving all! Quick post as I have got to get my butt moving! Accountability was really good.....probably the best day yet yesterday. I am finally down two pounds of the wretched regain. Still got a ways to go so I am going to try not to overdo it with the thanksgiving feast today while not denying myself completely of a bit of overindulging. We shall see how that goes. Stomach still hurts as it's that lovely time of month again. So maybe that will prevent me from eating more than I should....fingers crossed!

QOTD: That first year I was super strict! I would not even allow myself a taste of something I shouldn't have. Oh how I wish I had that willpower now! Now I allow myself a bite or two on holidays, but it's a very slippery slope for me as well. I really have to be conscious of it or I will overdo it. I kind of wish I had never allowed myself the pleasure of overindulging because now it's as if I can no longer resist temptation now that I've gotten a taste of it again.....sigh.

B: coffee w/Splenda & sf creamer x 2

B2: protein shake

L/D: (we normally have a late lunch early dinner combo) smoked and baked turkey, a bite of stuffing, cranberry sauce, green beans, mashed potatoes, corn pie and SF sweet potato soufflé. Maybe a super small bite of pie if there is any room left!

Have a wonderful day everyone!

Surgery: RNY on 1/23/19

Emiepie
on 11/26/20 8:21 am
RNY on 08/11/14
On November 26, 2020 at 9:39 AM Pacific Time, JuniperBerry wrote:

Happy Thanksgiving, my friends!

Not sure if anyone will come on to post today, but for some unknown reason I have been up all night and so I decided to start us off out of sheer boredom.

We have no real plans today, but I am insisting that we serve our dinner on nice china, even though it is just the two of us :) Then we have a Zoom call with the entire Thanksgiving Gang at 5pm. Some of the kids have put together a family game to play together. No idea what that will entail but it should be fun. Hopefully I can get a nap in first, because I am already exhausted.

I'm going to try to eat relatively normally today, and not overdo it. It would have been next to impossible to eat on plan if we were hosting, but with just us, I think I can make this work. I have been on a roll with staying under my calorie limit and I may as well stick to it.

QOTD: Post-op, do you let yourself over-indulge on holidays? I didn't at all for the first two years, but since then I really let myself get back into the mindset that I am allowed to overeat on "special days" which was a slippery slope for me. It might be fine if it was just 3 or 4 major national holidays a year, but there have been too many days that I started to deem "special". Hopefully this year of solitary holidays will be a reminder that food does not need to equal fun.

Yesterday was on track with food but I didn't end up exercising... :( But I will get on the treadmill right after I finish this post!

Have a Happy Thanksgiving!

Happy Thanksgiving and Friday-Eve! I slept in but am now getting my workout done. It looks like this afternoon should be gorgeous so might try and talk John and Em into skating.

Accountability: I had PB on my toast and added some mixed nuts in the evening but it was much better than I've been doing.

QOTD: Not really. I pretty much stick to stuff I normally eat.

I haven't plugged my plan into MFP yet but it'll be something close to this. Latte, oatmeal, sausage, turkey and veggies for lunch and dinner, yogurt and not sure what else for snacks.

I am thankful for each of you and hope you all have a great day.

RNY 8/11/14 with Dr. Kelvin Higa PS Lipectomy 4/12/17 with Dr. John Burnett HW291.4/CW165/GW150

(deactivated member)
on 11/26/20 9:24 am
RNY on 01/01/14

I think actually I might be able to answer my own question to a certain degree.

Not nearly everyone comes to WLS because of an overeating addiction . Some folks just have a genetic tendency to gain, others have hormonal imbalances or lifestyle issues .

Or chronic illnesses drive them to seek to lose a large amount of weight - like diabetes or heart issues.

hugs

White Dove
on 11/26/20 10:29 am - Warren, OH

I have a bottle of wine and a bottle of margarita mix in the refrigerator and both will last me longer than one year. But I have never been addicted to alcohol. I also have gotten past the point of binge eating or a certain food that I cannot stop eating.

Part of that is because I can still get very full very quickly and one extra bite can cause all kinds of problems. I am making all my traditional Thanksgiving dishes and it is the same meal that I have probably made 100 or more times in my life. For Thanksgiving, Easter, Mother's Day, Christmas, or just a big get together.

I talked with my boyfriend once about AA. I meet him after he was in AA. He stopped drinking on Christmas Day in 2008 and has never touched a drop of alcohol since. But he stays away from bars and even parties with lots of drinking. He told me that the first times he quit, he would think it should not hurt to have one beer after work. And for three days, he would stop and do that. But on the fourth day he would keep drinking until he could not stand up anymore.

So some people, like me, can drink one drink and forget about it for many months, and others cannot. There is also Overeaters Anonymous that works like AA for people with food addiction. They mostly do three meals a day with no snacking of any kind. Because that is what they need to do to stay in control. Being addicted to food is much harder than to alcohol, because you cannot completely avoid food.

If it were at all possible, then OA would say to stop eating entirely, just like AA says to stop drinking entirely.

I will have a small serving of mashed potatoes with gravy today. I will have a larger amount of stuffing. I enjoy both. I have gotten over any cravings for mashed potatoes by having perogies for lunch some days. I buy them frozen and boil three of them to eat with a little butter. For many years, I did not even allow potatoes into the house. Certain foods are not necessary for life and can be completely avoided if that is what you have to do.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

catwoman7
on 11/26/20 11:08 am
RNY on 06/03/15

behavioral addictions and substance addictions are different in some ways. I used to be a smoker. I quit smoking i***** The first few months were horrible, and I would have started back right away if I even had one cigarette, but I don't even think about them anymore. Overeating is more of a behavioral addiction (like gambling) - I think those can be just as hard to deal with, but it's different. With food, you always have to eat, so there's that trigger. Changing my eating habits was easier than quitting smoking in the short term. But long term, I think it's harder to live with the food thing. I've never stopped thinking about food - or battling my urge to overeat - because there's always that trigger.

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 540 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 525 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 413 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 288 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 127 views
Recent Topics