Do you make your own broths?

SuMari
on 12/28/20 10:45 am

I am one week out from surgery and trying to add some variety since chicken broth is starting to be unappealing to me. I am mixing it up with my protein shakes but want to know what other options you can recommend for broths? any recipes? or tips?

hollykim
on 12/28/20 11:13 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On December 28, 2020 at 6:45 PM Pacific Time, SuMari wrote:

I am one week out from surgery and trying to add some variety since chicken broth is starting to be unappealing to me. I am mixing it up with my protein shakes but want to know what other options you can recommend for broths? any recipes? or tips?

there are y many options, really, for broth. There is beef broth snd vegetable broth.
Broth is bland for a reason. It is gentle on a healing system.
you can make you own broth by boiling any of these ingredients for a long time. Be careful of too much spice right now.

SuMari
on 1/14/21 10:41 am

Thank you. I recently got (I think they are swanson) bone broth cups and I really like the ginger tumeric flavor. I hate spicey things, so I am steering clear

Dcgirl
on 12/28/20 3:01 pm - DC
RNY on 12/16/13

I just made my first batch of homemade broth and it's magical! I took the two carcasses (bones, leftover meat, skin) from Costco rotisserie chickens, put them in my crockpot with salt, pepper, onions, carrots, celery, and bay leaves, plus one tbsp of red wine vinegar. And left on low for 24 hours. Then I strained it through a sieve and put the huge Tupperware in the fridge. Once it was there a few hours, I scooped off the top layer of fat. The rest is a dark and rich chicken broth. I froze in separate containers and used some to make my gravy and my stuffing. Delicious!

One week out from surgery I was using Unjury chicken soup flavored protein powder, but you have to mix it with lukewarm water or it clumps. I also use Miner's chicken base with ho****er (can get it on Amazon, refrigerate it).

Melody P.
on 12/28/20 3:11 pm - Amarillo, TX

With my revision I made my own mostly. Like mentioned it's best not to get to adventurous this close to surgery. It is so much better though!

I used my pressure cooker to make big batches and freeze them in smaller containers.

SuMari
on 1/14/21 10:43 am

I will have to see about getting a pressure cooker, too. I have a crock pot so I will have to start there.

SuMari
on 1/14/21 10:42 am

Oh my goodness, that sounds magical! I will have to try that! How to you get how many grams of protein you are taking in?

Dcgirl
on 1/14/21 12:05 pm - DC
RNY on 12/16/13

It really is! I don't count how many protein grams it adds because I have no way of knowing. I know it's protein and not carbs so I just use it with abandon!

Teenie
on 12/30/20 11:03 am - Pittsburgh , PA
RNY on 12/19/17

Here is my go-to for broth. So easy . I would freeze the chicken and save it till you can eat soft foods and grind it in the food processor and make chicken salad.

HW 299 SW 290 CW 139 GW 140 2/08/2019 OPERATION: Surgical Hernia with excision of total surface area of 55 x 29 cm of abdominal skin.

SuMari
on 1/14/21 10:44 am

OOH, I never thought about doing that for later. I start mushy in a few days, kinda scared but really happy to actually (sort of) chew my food

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 532 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 514 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 393 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 25 replies · 231 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 17 replies · 328 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?