RNY vets are you OK? Life sucks sometimes (vets = 5+ years in my mind, but not set in...

aesposito
on 1/28/21 10:31 pm, edited 1/29/21 1:30 pm

I drop in and out of this place periodically, but it occurred to me today (yes, I am that stupid and ignorant) that as awful as the past year was for me, it could have been even worse for you.

Not hating on the newbies at all, I promise. But vets, are we OK? And if not, can I help?

I still have a job and family, including an adorable grandson (below, look at his long legs!) now 7 years old, but Covid sucks, and some other stuff sucks, and my students' lives suck, and my body sucks. Weight is creeping. At a steady 170+ now and while that doesn't seem like a lot to many, it has me in panic-mode. Cracking down, or trying too --- I know all the right things to do of course, as do we all. If you respond with a post telling me what to do, I will find you, and I will kill you.

But when life sucks, hard to remember that part. Food and sleep and wine sound a lot more appealing than it used to. And of course ALWAYS the f*cking anemia/dehydration/IBS/etc, darn it..... especially anemia. I have my heme guy on speedy-dial.

Talk to me vets, please. We can help each other. And no need to worry about me much. I am OK and have my job and family still.... but a lot of you don't have the same security, I know.

Audrey

Highest weight: 340
Surgery weight: 313
Surgery date: 10/24/11
Current weight 170... 170 pounds lost!!!!

I am not a doctor, but I play one at work.

Emiepie
on 1/29/21 5:45 am
RNY on 08/11/14

Good Morning! I can't see the pic of your grandson but I'm sure he's a cutie. I've been struggling with snacking but that's a whole story in its own. I agree that this past year has been challenging for everyone, each in our own way.

if I can support you in anyway let me know.

RNY 8/11/14 with Dr. Kelvin Higa PS Lipectomy 4/12/17 with Dr. John Burnett HW291.4/CW165/GW150

Lindainnature
on 2/2/21 6:39 am

I agree! Tough year. At the beginning of Covid, working from home and riding my bike 20 plus miles a few days a week helped. Im back up to 180 lbs and freaking out because it won't seem to drop but I'm also really struggling with consistency of healthy eating. Divorce, an unwelcome, temporary move and having to move again in a few months is stressful. So I snack. I also know all the right things to do but consistency is my issue. Sorry this wasn't any help for you. Just sharing.

Emiepie
on 2/2/21 9:26 am
RNY on 08/11/14

Thank you for sharing. Helps knowing we aren't alone.

RNY 8/11/14 with Dr. Kelvin Higa PS Lipectomy 4/12/17 with Dr. John Burnett HW291.4/CW165/GW150

catwoman7
on 1/29/21 6:28 am
RNY on 06/03/15

I was able to manage my weight pretty well this summer because I was biking pretty much every day for 1-2 hours (not only was it burning up a truckload of calories, but it was keeping me away from my kitchen during that time), but it's definitely become more of a struggle since the weather turned cold and I'm trapped in my house again. UGH.

aesposito
on 1/29/21 7:19 am

Ironic since I also love biking, but having to teach from home for 10 months took me away from the wonderful paths near my work that I love. DH and I take a LOT of walks though, that helps...

Audrey

Mahalo F.
on 1/30/21 3:52 pm

Hello

I remember you from my PRE/POST RNY DAYS!

You were a great support! I also did a ridiculous about of walking & cycling this past summer!

Now gearing up for my tummy tuck in three weeks!

Can't wait. Good to see that you are still a great support system.

Thank you

Roux En Y - Jan. 4, 2017

HW 283 SW 260 CW 165

IN THE END WE ONLY REGRET CHANCES WE DIDN'T TAKE.

catwoman7
on 1/30/21 4:00 pm
RNY on 06/03/15

I remember you as well! You should drop by more often - I miss so many of the "old" folks, including you!!

Christina135
on 1/29/21 7:18 am

Morning!

I'm almost 12 years out. I would say that I put myself through the wringer, but I finally have managed to figure things out. I went through a transfer addiction, but have worked through it and continue to work at it every single day. I have come to realize that every day is a gift.

My weight has crept up and down and up and down over the past 12 years. Surprisingly, it is now at the lowest it has been (even my lowest after surgery weight) and my mental health is the best it's been. This has been through a lot of work and talking and reading and self acceptance, none of which was easy.

I do yoga. I meditate. I eat plant based. I forgive (a lot). Myself, and people around me.

I mean I could probably type for days and days and still not get everything out of my head and into this post with the amount of work I'm putting in on a daily basis.

Everyone has to find what works for them, especially right now during a pandemic. I can't change the world, I can only control what is within my control. For me, that means maintaining a job to support my family, continue to give to charity, support locally owned BIPOC businesses (because that is important to me), support other causes that are important like animal welfare, continue to do things that support my mental and physical health (I'm no good to anyone if I can't function), etc.

Part of that is coming and checking in here daily. It's not about the menus or seeing what people are doing for exercise, although it's nice to see! It's about having some structure and just saying hello and seeing pictures and engaging.

I hope you're doing well. And I hope to see you more. Come talk to us as you can.

Christina

Let it begin with me.

03/2009 - SW:261 GW 135 (CW:131)

aesposito
on 1/29/21 1:54 pm

***I went through a transfer addiction, but have worked through it and continue to work at it every single day. I have come to realize that every day is a gift.

I have always been a big advocate of alcohol in moderation post RNY. I still am. But honestly this past year tested that opinion. After so many years of a glass of wine a week or so, I found myself drinking much more... mostly because I needed it, and less because I wanted it. So I worked with various resources to get a handle on that. I am back to moderation, and I have personal and professional "safety valves" set up that will signal me if I ever get to that point again, because I am not sure I can trust myself to really know. We over-ate for a reason. And when we can't over-eat anymore, we look for something else to replace food. I am glad you are working on it every day. I am too.

****Part of that is coming and checking in here daily. It's not about the menus or seeing what people are doing for exercise, although it's nice to see! It's about having some structure and just saying hello and seeing pictures and engaging.

Honestly I wish I could. I have no idea what even brought me here this week..... the level of busy I currently face is mind-bending. But the thing is, I am complaining about being busy while the root cause of that is a good job, a good life, and a mostly healthy family. So like you said, I have found things that work for me and I try to complain less, and help others more (usually my students). It makes me less self-centered, I hope anyway.

So while I can't promise anything, I will continue to try to drop in from time to time. I started coming here in 2010 and it saved my life. If I can save another one, that works for me. Thank you so much Christina for helping me articulate all of this.

Audrey

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 566 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 351 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 29 replies · 169 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 457 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 370 views
Recent Topics