Feeling overwhelmed....

Ferf45
on 2/18/21 10:07 am
RNY on 02/01/21

Hello! I'm new here. I'm a 42 year old female. I had my RNY on February 1st. I'm not sure if what I'm feeling is regret or what? I'm starting to freak out a little. Please be kind when responding and don't judge. First let me say, I'm committed to a life style change. But will I ever be able to enjoy food again? I've never been one to say I can give things up forever or entirely during a diet. Which may be why I'm here in the first place. But for me a life style change means all things in moderation. Will I ever be able to enjoy my favorite foods again? Will I ever be able to go to a Mexican restaurant and have a few chips with salsa or a margarita? Will I ever be able to eat a piece of pizza forget about the four or five slices I used to have... but just a piece. Will I ever be able to enjoy a regular piece of bread? French fires? Now, even though I'm asking I have no plans to while I'm in the losing phase or frequently at all, but one in awhile/ special occasions. The thought of NEVER scares me. Did I make the wrong decision? Believe me, I'm committed. I'm morbidly obese at 331lbs and I'm tired of living my life on the sidelines and I plan to kick a$$ at this, but I'm overwhelmed. I'm hoping the responses to this will be kind and not ypu should've done your research more or blah, blah, blah. Thanks in advance to those of you who take the time to respond. I look forward to getting to know you all.

catwoman7
on 2/18/21 4:40 pm, edited 2/18/21 9:52 pm
RNY on 06/03/15

I can eat all of those things. I don't eat much of them, but I eat them occasionally. It's really the first few months when you're dealing with a lot of restrictions. But do it. This is your one big chance in your life to lose a ton of weight if you're committed. Don't blow it. There'll be time to add in some of your favorite foods later. Good luck!! I know buyer's remorse is common early on, but soon you'll start feeling a lot more positive emotionally and physically, and you'll be glad you did this!

RNY 06/03/15 by Michael Garren (Madison, WI)

HW: 373 SW: 316 GW: 150 LW: 138 CW: 163

Ferf45
on 2/19/21 12:06 pm
RNY on 02/01/21

Nice to know that you can eat them eventually once in awhile. Think since I'm only a few weeks out and my diet is so restricted that I'm feeling overwhelmed. Thanks for responding!

catwoman7
on 2/18/21 4:43 pm
RNY on 06/03/15

P.S. if you're curious about what we eat, check out the daily RNY menu thread. There are people on there who are in all different stages - from early pre-op to several years out. It'll give you a good idea of what people eat - and when.

Lucile777
on 2/18/21 6:30 pm, edited 2/18/21 10:32 am

A week after I had my RNY I remember hiding behind a door and just sobbing. I had this immense feeling of "What have I done?". So yes, this is normal. There are days that, three years later, I still regret having my surgery because I've had 40 lbs of regain, but this is due to my own actions and choices. If you follow high protein and low carbs you will do well and not end up like me.

I can't eat veggies like broccoli, bread and pizza are difficult to eat and sometimes they just come up. Other times they stay down. Depends on the pouch day. Chips are fairly easy to eat afterwards, thus my regain. French fries are fibrous so not easy to eat. Even veggie burgers that I LOVED beforehand can't be eaten because of the texture. Everyone is different and you will get to know what works for you and what doesn't.

But at the end of the day, you will be lighter and a few months from now you will be much healthier. RNY is indeed a mind ****

RNY Oct. 27/17. HW 289; SW 285; GW 144; LW: 161 CW: 196 FML: Fighting regain :(

Ferf45
on 2/19/21 12:05 pm
RNY on 02/01/21

Thank you for responding and being "real" with me. Glad what I'm feeling is normal.

Liz WantsHealthForAll
on 2/19/21 5:00 am - Cape Cod, MA
VSG on 03/28/16

Ultimately after WLS, you can eat whatever you want. As Catwoman suggests, read the "What's on your menu" posts to get a better idea. The first few months of restricted eating while we are healing and getting used to our new anatomy help retrain us a bit on what we can eat and how much. In the end, WLS is just a tool which restricts the amount we can eat especially if protein based (meat, fish, etc). But we do have to watch how many carbs (cookies, crackers, pasta) we eat as it tends to go down really easily (unlike protein). So we try to use our tool wisely by eating protein rich meals keeping us full and away from carbs. But yes, most of us can eat whatever we chose, just in a smaller quantity.

Liz 5'3" HW: 219 SW: 185 GW: 125 LW: 113 Desired maintenance range: 120-123 CW: 120 (after losing 20 lb. regain)!

Ferf45
on 2/19/21 12:04 pm
RNY on 02/01/21

Thank you for responding. I will definitely check out those menus. Think I'm just overwhelmed right now.

Teenie
on 2/19/21 11:36 am - Pittsburgh , PA
RNY on 12/19/17

I think we all have had that What did I do moment. Your health will out weigh your regrets in about 8 months. I am a little over 3 years out and I try to follow the Protein first vegie second then if your still hungry go to berries however there are food hacks that help me with my cravings. I use veggie tots and Keto Pizza and I am now used to it. It does get easier and following the menu tread has helped me through a lot of struggles. I wish you the best on your journey and if you need some recipe swaps to keep you in check let us know we are always helpful.

HW 299 SW 290 CW 139 GW 140 2/08/2019 OPERATION: Surgical Hernia with excision of total surface area of 55 x 29 cm of abdominal skin.

Ferf45
on 2/19/21 12:03 pm
RNY on 02/01/21

Thank you so very much for taking the time to respond. I appreciate it and I'm overwhelmed so just taking it day by day right now.

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 488 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 453 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 458 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 411 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 114 views
Forum Search Error & 404