Feeling overwhelmed....

beechie46
on 2/22/21 1:22 pm

Hi, I am 8 years out from my RNY, and I can eat whatever I want in MODERATION!!! I have a few things that I just can't eat. I have food rituals ( this is what I call them) I eat like 1 thing all the time and then I can't eat it again for a while. At first I had a very hard time with eating. Also, I ate oatmeal so much and it took me forever to eat oatmeal again. I had problems with Strictures. This as part of my problem. My Dr. had me go to a Nutrition and she told me to eat every 1/2 hour that I was awake. You don't tell a WLS patient to eat like that. One of the things they warn you about is becoming grazer. It is a real thing. You will be ok, it just takes time to get use to our new way of life. Good Luck

hollykim
on 2/21/21 5:41 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On February 18, 2021 at 6:07 PM Pacific Time, Ferf45 wrote:

Hello! I'm new here. I'm a 42 year old female. I had my RNY on February 1st. I'm not sure if what I'm feeling is regret or what? I'm starting to freak out a little. Please be kind when responding and don't judge. First let me say, I'm committed to a life style change. But will I ever be able to enjoy food again? I've never been one to say I can give things up forever or entirely during a diet. Which may be why I'm here in the first place. But for me a life style change means all things in moderation. Will I ever be able to enjoy my favorite foods again? Will I ever be able to go to a Mexican restaurant and have a few chips with salsa or a margarita? Will I ever be able to eat a piece of pizza forget about the four or five slices I used to have... but just a piece. Will I ever be able to enjoy a regular piece of bread? French fires? Now, even though I'm asking I have no plans to while I'm in the losing phase or frequently at all, but one in awhile/ special occasions. The thought of NEVER scares me. Did I make the wrong decision? Believe me, I'm committed. I'm morbidly obese at 331lbs and I'm tired of living my life on the sidelines and I plan to kick a$$ at this, but I'm overwhelmed. I'm hoping the responses to this will be kind and not ypu should've done your research more or blah, blah, blah. Thanks in advance to those of you who take the time to respond. I look forward to getting to know you all.

you have gotten great snd correct answers. All I would add is about that margarita.

im not saying you can't have one. I do on occasion. But be VERY aware of what you are doing.

wr have seen many on this site who developed a " transfer addiction" to alcohol. You can google that term.

Some of those ppl ended up with DUI and ruined their whole lives.

Alcohol hits post WLS folks HARD. You will be drunk before you k ow what hit you. A half a margarita and I will have a spinning head and need help to walk.

Plus, alcohol and margarita mix are pure sugar so there is that component also. We absorb 100% of the calories we eaten of carbs. Sugar is a carb and liquid sugar goes straight into being absorbed which means calories which means Wright stoppage and/or weight gain. A margarita might make you dump.

put you all into this for the first 28 months of your "honeymoon" period. Lose all the weight you possibly can cause some will come back as is normal. After you lose all your excess weight, you will have developed better ha it's snd be more prepared to experiment a little. It is not forever, I promise. It is for right now.

if you don't cheat, food, especially the ones you mentioned will stop being important and desirable. You will be happy with protein. If you heat, you will put yourself right back to square one with cravings snd head hunger. Try really hard not to do that to yourself.

Deb366
on 2/22/21 12:53 pm
In the future.....in a smaller portions....after you have lost your weight and stabilize and have a new more active lifestyle. I think you need to switch your focus off of the foods you loved in the past....to the things you will be able to enjoy in the future....like walking and being in nature and bending over and guess what....you may even live a bunch longer and will develop new foods that you love. There is no food that is equal to the other stuff for me. Now in regards to alcohol.....maybe a few sips. It hits your body differently than before, I feel it with a sip or too. So , be careful because it impacts your body more. Had a friend who switched to sex and alcohol after instead of food and she died in her 40s.....I couldn't believe it. So start thinking about what you will gain and not what you may have exchanged for your health. If you really do watch it....you will find changes... I started eating and loving things I never liked before. Still can have some nachos or a small slice of pizza....if I chew it well. But you can choose a bunch of carbs or your possible life of being slimmer. Time to get your head in the game! best of luck! It is worth it!
ChangedLife
on 2/23/21 5:41 pm

I think everyone has provided you with some great ideas and how to look towards the future! This is the 10th year anniversary of my surgery this July and one of the things I wish someone would have told me at the beginning was talking freely about your sense of loss. For me and for several I know that also had WLS had a loving relationship with food and to have that suddenly removed can cause a bit of a grieving period. I remember that the first week after my surgery was full of different emotions, thoughts, and concerns about what was happening to my body. Do take it one day at a time and talk about those emotions as it will help you in the long run rather than bottling it up inside or transferring it to something else. You can do this! You can be successful! Early on is an amazing time of rapid weight loss and self-discovery. Once you start feeling the weight coming off and you feel the difference in your body it will help motivate you to keep going. Even with all of the things that have resulted from my surgery the good has been great. Food in moderation is helpful and surprising or not sometimes I miss those early days of rapid loss. Best of luck to you in your journey and embrace it!

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 481 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 441 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 443 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 394 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 110 views
Forum Search Error & 404