Low Ferritin - 15 years post-op

sweetpotato1959
on 4/10/21 9:57 pm

Yep

, Mine was so low they would not tell me what it was until i had received 2 units of blood,( i also had an intestinal twist.at the same time...still did not tell me what blood counts were before infusions...were afraid i would go into shock....even post event. Before discharge He explained... i was not absorbing any iron from any food source, i had a lack of the Gastric Intrinsic factor in my body- he said it was the result of my particular hybrid surgery. The surgery impaired my already limited ability to produce. (Before surgery my blood counts were low normal ranges)

.My severe anemia was found....between 4 and 5 years post op. when they were working my admission up-They asked what i did, told them .." physically unloaded 18 wheelers placing boxes on pallets, securing them and putting on dock with a hand truck. reply oh you run a fork lift... no i hand unload. Q don't you get tired? A. when you work 12-14 hour day don't you get tired? Dr could not believe i was physically working with blood count as low as mine was.

. The body has an enormous ability to adjust to low blood counts- until it can no longer adjust.

. Get this treated.. there are Rx's pills that include all things needed to absorb the iron. One is named Foltrin, (now available as generic)it is a small capsule-generally given 2x a day.. Walgreens makes one for pregnant women,..it is a horse pill. i could not swallow it. Even tho it would go down -it felt like it was stuck for hours after i took it.

I would urge you to make sure your calcium, magnesium levels are also optimal.and maintained.. . one of the results of my surgery is I have lost almost every tooth.. they have not been repairable.

Today there are magnesium oils, Epsom salt foot soaks to bring magnesium levels up to normal without a oral intake of it.. D3, zinc, need to be taken regularly and with any minerals at night. they work together and balance each other... and Vitamin K2 ( helps with the regulation of minerals in the human body) ..according to information i digested, one would need to eat 30 lbs of broccoli daily to get this Vitamin( K2) by diet..They are also researching use and availability of the other K vitamins in the body K1 is the one that thickens the blood. K2 moves minerals. K3-9 have been identified

.i went home with a HGB- what they followed then- 8.9, I felt like a new woman! and 6 weeks later was 9.2, in between i ate the only form of iron that is fully absorb able in food - liver 2 oz - 2x a day every day for 6 days a week.for that 6 weeks.

I went back to the same Dr..because i developed a sinus infection , knowing my history he needed to make sure my body could utilize the meds he was going to give me...when Iron levels had gone up./ability to carry iron...Internist wanted to know what i was eating.. when i told him he said " Liver is the perfect food, for someone with low iron. . Liver has every thing needed to absorb and utilize the iron in a serving. and enables the absorption of iron from other sources." Now i use an organic desiccated liver product.. is available from carlton labs as buffalo or calf liver in capsules. directions call for 6 day/ i use 3-4 .

after i get mine up and leveled off.. i can take these liver supplements every other day and maintain. to a level where have no symptoms.

there is a pharma fix and a natural fix.. find something you are comfortable taking and available. get your labs rechecked after a few months to determine if you are responding approprately. You can do this and every bad side effect from surgery mal absorption issues, can be treated naturally. every singe supplement i require i can get without a rx.. find what works for you and get stocked up for a year or more. this need will not go away.

(deactivated member)
on 4/12/21 9:34 am - Carrollton, TX
RNY on 11/26/07 with

Yes I had bypass in 2007 and never had any problems. My story is the exact same as yours. I just had two iron infusions ( covered by my insurance) and I did not know how weak I was!! What a difference it has made in my life!! Be adamant and insistent. You can get really sick!

Jennifer K.
on 4/12/21 4:21 pm - Phoenix , AZ

Thank you! I am looking forward to getting my frost this Thursday and seeing the difference. I am super active and it's been a struggle pushing thru being exhausted!

First visit to surgeon - 288 ~ bmi 45.1
2 week pre-op 252 ~ bmi 39.5
Total lost - 153 Since surgery - 117!
Goal weight - 155 (mine) 180 (surgeons)
Current weight - 135 (2020 I lost 10lbs due to dedicating myself to working out more and being in better shape)

Extended TT, lipo, fat injections - 11/2011

BA/BL/Arm Lift - 7/2014

Scar revision on arms - 3/2015

HALO laser on arms/neck 9/2016

Thigh lift 10/2020

Scsot
on 4/12/21 9:50 am

Hi! I am 20 years out of RNY gastric bypass and have had low ferritin levels. I did have IV Iron transfusions several times and they were very helpful. My insurance did cover them. Have you tried the iron topical skin patches?

Good luck!

Barb S.
on 4/12/21 10:00 am - New Westminster, BC, Canada

I have had ferritin issues since my surgery in 2008. I can't take oral iron as it makes me extremely nauseous.

one thing I have learned is that anytime you eat anything g high in iron make sure you have a swallow of orange juice or some other concentrated vitamin c. Increase your natural protein, eggs are a good source, cheese, some nuts.

Always have Vit c with salads and dark green veggies or you won't get the benefit of the iron!

Barb
Post OP, RNY, Virginia Mason
June 17, 2008
SW 335
CW - June 17, 2009  193
GW  160        
Deb366
on 4/12/21 10:54 am
Me too. I had iron transfusions....they were pretty expensive. Even with insurance cost me over $1000 for one bag. I am taking a bariatric multi with iron now. I have tried the iron patches from Patch MD, I haven't used them enough to say if they work. I also tried enzymes to help digest. Best of luck to you!!

Currently 125  pounds
Deb366
on 4/12/21 10:59 am
Oh, the infusions did fix the problem. I haven't done my labs yet this year, so I don't know how I am doing right now, but I was fine in 2020.

Currently 125  pounds
Ms_Janelle
on 4/12/21 5:21 pm

Hello Jennifer,

I have needed iron infusions since my 7th year post RNY. And yet I continue to take oral iron 3 times weekly My health insurance has always covered them with a diagnosis specific to post RNY and malabsorption.

I agree a visit with Hematology may be very helpful to getting you exactly what you need and feeling much more energetic 100%.

Good Luck!! I hope you continue to have success and get the help and coverage you need.

Blessings to you

Janelle

blong
on 4/12/21 5:55 pm - Yuma, CO

Hi Jennifer,

Had the same issue's with low ferritan starting 3 years ago, 18 years after my RNY. Had 3 Iv's which brought it back up to normal. But after 6 months or so, it was too low again. Dr. ordered extra iron but no improvement.

Then I ran across an ad for Iron Patches and tried them. No problem with my levels since. You can get them thru this site's links at PatchMD. About $10-12/month. Worked wonders.

Bev

sweetpotato1959
on 4/12/21 6:15 pm

Jennifer,

I just re -read your note... When you ingest - take iron with any calcium/magnesium product they both interfere with absorption of iron.

Minerals , including calcium, magnesium, zinc, selenium, and iodine and copper-(make sure your MVI includes 100% or more of required copper- or you are subject to varicose veins and stroke.) all should be taken at night.

Iron should be taken well away from it in the morning with all water soluble ,including B complex and vitamin C.....You need an iron that has all needed to absorb.. feso4 does not...is cheap -so the form many Dr's will rx. There are several forms in the note i wrote a couple days ago.. the foltrin is rx'd, (comes in a generic now..),but is probably your cheapest route, It is easy to swallow.and is generally covered by insurances.

.Desiccated liver is the easiest to absorb- and has all one needs to absorb.. If i chose to go that route would start with 2- 2x a day.. and if tolerated do that for 8-10 weeks. then cut to one 2 x a day...the one i got came in 180 count bottle. so has lasted a long time.. on days i eat liver i skip taking the capsule. chicken, pork or calf liver, liver cheese, and goose liver and liver pate' all count as liver. If one likes any of these they also help.. to stretch medication supplies..

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 566 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 345 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 457 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 370 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 7 replies · 35 views
Recent Topics