Intermittent Fasting

Christina135
on 4/9/21 1:32 pm

Hey y'all! If you visit the daily "What's on your menu" thread, then you may have noticed that I intermittent fast. Or not. Today I got the shock of my life when I opened up my April newsletter from my bariatric surgeon's office and they have an entire page dedicated to INTERMITTENT FASTING! I am so excited!

So, have you heard of it? Are you curious? Would you like to talk about it? I have been doing IF for almost 2 years now, with the blessing of my surgeon's office, my internist and RD, and maintaining my lowest weight ever.

It's free. You don't have to do keto. You don't have to eat vegan (as I try to do most of the time). There's no special recipes, no special shakes.

I'm happy to talk about it, to anyone!

One caveat. I am 12 years out from RNY, I can eat almost a cup of food at a time. If you are a newbie, or within your honeymoon losing phase, this way life probably isn't the right thing for you yet.

Other than that, let's talk!

Christina

Let it begin with me.

03/2009 - SW:261 GW 135 (CW:131)

White Dove
on 4/9/21 6:23 pm - Warren, OH

I tend to graze all day and would love to know more about IF. One of my friends has been doing it and she looks great.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Maddymoe2
on 4/10/21 6:21 am
RNY on 11/22/16

Christina,

I would be interested in the plan that you follow and how it all works. I am almost 5 years out.

KalesD
on 4/10/21 7:48 am
RNY on 09/30/20

I'd also be interested in learning about it!

Surgery 09/30/20

CW: 147.6 |SW: 221.6 |HW: 255

Learning my new normal, one day at a time.

Greateight
on 4/10/21 8:09 am
RNY on 08/29/18

Christina, I would be interested. I have heard that it helps with blood sugar levels.

Jim Age 58 Height 6 Feet Consult Weight 344 SW 289 Pre-Surgery -55, M1 -25, M2 -16, M3 -21, M4 -10, M5 -5, M6 -1, M7 -4, M8 0, M9 +4, M10 -4

sweetpotato1959
on 4/11/21 11:15 pm

There is a series of video's on this process by physician to you tube.. go to u tube and put in it's search bar...Dr Berg has several informative video's on rules and tells how to do it for different purposes and via different methods He tells how to begin and what one needs to know before they begin.. Very good tool for learning..

MrsStrait
on 4/21/21 7:43 am
On April 12, 2021 at 6:15 AM Pacific Time, sweetpotato1959 wrote:

There is a series of video's on this process by physician to you tube.. go to u tube and put in it's search bar...Dr Berg has several informative video's on rules and tells how to do it for different purposes and via different methods He tells how to begin and what one needs to know before they begin.. Very good tool for learning..

Is Dr Berg's vids bari* approved.

sweetpotato1959
on 4/10/21 8:35 pm

Christina135,

Yes i have heard of IF, there are several ways to do it.. varying it by # of hours- or doing it by days... My brother and wife uses it and has had some success. His problem diet required health issue #1 is totally opposite of diet for #2. , and then calorie control... There is no reconciling them. Dieticians and a couple of physicians have tried to help.... so he was describing what he had found and was doing to try to control his diet and maintain 3 different diets. I told him there was a name for that and he was totally floored. He has been able to loose 45 lbs.over a few months. I am post op and a couple decades plus.. My capacity is 5-7 oz depending on the foods consumed. I can not do IF, my blood sugars drop if i skip a meal.. must eat within 30 min of getting up,and something every 4 hr. usually high protein.. no legumes, or nuts.. lactose.. yep it's interesting. LOL.. Much success to you.. You are right to be excited if this works for you.

Christina135
on 4/12/21 5:50 am

Good morning everyone! I didn't mean to post and run! This past week was weird, especially with the car accident. Here's hoping this week starts to get exponentially better!

A little background about me. I am 12 years out from my RNY, and I do have reactive hypoglycemia. I am a foodie, I'm that friend that as soon as I eat breakfast, I am wondering what's for lunch, and when I eat lunch, I'm wondering what's for dinner, and so on and so forth. I love food. That never changed. Not with surgery, not with IF, I don't think it ever will.

I started IF on my own. I was about to turn 45, and a friend at work (who is naturally thin) and much younger just sort of eats that way. He never eats breakfast, and he just kind of told me about it. He was nowhere near as dedicated to it as I am. His mom is an RD, so he was aware of it, and he recommended I start reading about it, etc. I'm definitely a reader, so I did. As I mentioned I was about to turn 45 and I wasn't feeling all that great. I was having a lot of joint inflammation. I was really questioning why we had bought this huge two story home, because stairs HURT my hips and knees. I was weighing in at almost 190lbs. I was feeling pretty crappy to be honest.

I read The Obesity Code by Dr. Jason Fung. I also read Delay, Don't Deny by Gin Stephens. That second one was my favorite. It's literally what I do on a daily basis. I do eat pizza, and tacos, and donuts (not every day, not every meal). I don't deny myself. I just delay it until my eating window. I don't buy in to the BS diet mentality. That is what got me to 260lbs in the first place.

I am at 129lbs. For the first time ever in my adult life. My RH is under control. I very rarely have episodes, which is amazing. I don't feel deprived, not even a little bit.

I am no longer trying to lose weight. At this point, I still do my fast (and I fluctuate now between doing an 18 hour fast, with a 6 hour feeding window, and a 16 hour fast with an 8 hour feeding window) because the autophagy is really important to me. There's a lot of science to it, that I won't do justice to. I am going to include a picture below of what my dr office included in their monthly newsletter.

When I talked to my internist about it, (at the bariatric center) for the first time almost two years ago I remember I cried. I told her I wish I had found it years ago because I felt like it would have saved me decades of dieting, and feeling bad about myself. She is one of those naturally thin people, and she told me she has always just kind of eaten that way, maybe one-two meals a day, and it never really occurred to her what she was doing. Fast forward two years and here we are!

Let's continue to talk. This isn't a diet. You can change your hours around. You don't count your calories. It works with what is best for you. Did I mention it's free?

Happy Monday y'all!

Christina

Let it begin with me.

03/2009 - SW:261 GW 135 (CW:131)

Maddymoe2
on 4/13/21 5:50 am
RNY on 11/22/16

Christina,

Thank you so much for sharing with us. I am excited to try!!

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 415 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 362 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 420 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 407 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 8 replies · 51 views
Recent Topics