Vitamin HELP

Alexpope
on 5/27/21 10:19 am
RNY on 10/21/20

I know I don't post here as often as I should and it seems to only be when I need help but I am so confused on my vitamin routine because of the nutritionist at my program. I was given some information sheets that outline what I must take on a daily basis but many people in my program take a totally different vitamin than suggested by the surgeon (he sells them) I have spent a lot of money and with my hours being cut at work I need to find a more affordable routine. Can anyone please help me in suggesting some vitamins that are more affordable and will be sufficient to meet my needs as a gastric bypass patient?

Partlypollyanna
on 5/27/21 12:30 pm
RNY on 02/14/18

I take centrum silver multi, along with iron, b12 and calcium chews. As long as you are meeting the ASMBS guidelines, you don't have to take any fancy ones. I would have concerns taking vitamins my surgeon was trying to sell me (same with all providers).

HW: 306 SW: 282 GW: 145 (reached 2/6/19) CW:150

Jen

Alexpope
on 5/28/21 7:55 am
RNY on 10/21/20

Is there a place where I can get the asmbs guidelines? The paper I was given was suggested by the surgeon so maybe he is going by those guidelines but it is so many vitamins and so costly. I am going to do the centrum silver for sure.

Partlypollyanna
on 5/28/21 8:22 am
RNY on 02/14/18

Funnily enough, the easiest place to find them is onthe celebrate vitamins site. They have them split out by surgery type so really easy to use. I use the celebrate calcium chews because they are tasty.

The centrum silver a double dose = the 200% recommendation for RNY. It is good to check how many make up a dose, I have seen a "one a day" that required multiple pills to get to the 100% which just made me laugh.

HW: 306 SW: 282 GW: 145 (reached 2/6/19) CW:150

Jen

sweetpotato1959
on 5/31/21 11:16 am

A good one a day with minerals and vitamins should get you well on your way... i am currently using a genric of one a day type.. my main deficiency was in copper so look for one that has 200% plus.. of it...and take extra magnesium calcium and zinc D3 and K2 at night..

I can't take Centrum,( they have something in them that make me so hungry i hurt.) What ever you use, make sure you get something you tolerated before surgery.

sweetpotato1959
on 5/31/21 11:18 am

Addum i also use dessicated iron at a different time , as can not absorb what is in the multi's - per instructions from an internsist post surgery several years...

Teenie
on 5/27/21 1:14 pm - Pittsburgh , PA
RNY on 12/19/17

I use bariatric advantage and it runs $51.95 for a 3 month supply it is there Ultra solo with Iron and you only take 1 a day. I use there calcium chews also and they are $33.95 a little pricey but they taste good. I also do there B12 but not sure what that one cost. They do have incentives for free shipping if you set up automatic ship.

HW 299 SW 290 CW 139 GW 140 2/08/2019 OPERATION: Surgical Hernia with excision of total surface area of 55 x 29 cm of abdominal skin.

catwoman7
on 5/27/21 4:36 pm
RNY on 06/03/15

I also take Centrum Silver as my multi (or the generic equivalent, which the Walgreens and CVSs around here carry). You have to take two of those a day to meet the multivitamin requirements.

My K, D, and B12 are by Superior Source and are sublingual - but house brands would work (B12 is the only one that really has to be sublingual - I just got the other two in sublingual form because it cuts down on the number of pills I have to swallow).

I get Integrative Theraupetics B-complex because I read somewhere around the time I had my surgery that they were among the best B-complex, but I suppose I could get some house brand or generic thing. I just never have...

I take Vitron-C iron along with generic chewable vitamin C

My endocrinologist took me off all calcium, but before that I was usually taking generic mini-calcium citrate tablets from places like Walgreens, and I had chewables I carried around in my purse (or just had once in awhile because I liked them...)

Alexpope
on 5/28/21 7:54 am
RNY on 10/21/20

Wow so many options to look into but I do think I will do the centrum silver for the multi. The iron one you take do you take one a day or two? My current brand has me on two a day.

catwoman7
on 5/28/21 8:16 am, edited 5/28/21 1:17 am
RNY on 06/03/15

that's going to depend on the type of iron (carbonyl iron is 100% elemental iron (and elemental iron is the type you count because that's the part that's absorbable). Some of the other types of iron have a much lower percentage of elemental iron) - and also on the brand. With Vitron-C, I alternate two tabs one day, one tab the next, since ideally I need 1.5 tabs, but since there's a light coating on them, I don't want to split any. I used to use another brand of carbonyl iron which has since been discontinued, and I think I took three of those a day - so again, it depends on the brand, too.

suffice it to say, I need about 85 mg of iron a day, and the Vitron-C tabs contain 65 mg (and again, this is elemental iron). If you take something like ferrous sulfate, you need a lot more mg of it (I'm thinking it's 325 mg, but don't quote me on that as I can't remember for sure), because only about 30% of ferrous sulfate is elemental iron.

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 533 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 519 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 402 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 257 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 126 views
Recent Topics