Losing Regain weight

want2bsmall
on 7/23/21 10:14 pm - NC

So after RNY I have had a few surgeries and was in a bad wreck. I have gained most of my weight back . Any help on losing the weight or what I should do! I haven't been able to exercise due to pain management with Dr. Please help!

Partlypollyanna
on 7/24/21 7:43 am
RNY on 02/14/18

Weigh measure and track everything you eat and then determine what calorie range helps you lose. It sucks that you can't exercise because I find it so good for my mental health but the good news is the real work is in your head and the kitchen! Come join us on the daily menu thread, great place for meal ideas and support!

HW: 306 SW: 282 GW: 145 (reached 2/6/19) CW:150

Jen

White Dove
on 7/24/21 7:53 am - Warren, OH

The number of calories per day is your goal weight multiplied by ten. Example, my goal weight is 136 and my calories per day have to stay around 1360 to maintain that. Exercise lets me eat more, but not very much more and I can lose weight with controlled calorie intake and no exercise at all. My Fitness Pal is a great and free tool to use for calorie counting. If I want to lose a pound a week, I go 500 calories less a day. I have to stay at about 800 - 900 calories a day until I am back to my goal.

I have had surgeries, accidents, illness, and many other crisis situations in the almost 14 years since my RNY. They did not cause any weight gain, unless I allowed myself to eat too many calories.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

H.A.L.A B.
on 7/24/21 7:14 pm, edited 7/24/21 12:15 pm

I responded to your post because you mentioned multiple surgeries and a wreck. I assume you deal now with chronic pain. And I'm hoping I'm wrong. But...

I had a few accidents that contributed to damage to my back and SI joints. And as I'm getting older, the old injuries started showing up as an increase in pain the those areas. Plus genetics. My parents had arthritis, my sister has it, and I have it. But, reducing inflammation in my body plus losing weight, can help my joints, and it gives me more chances to remain mobile and active.

I gain when I exercise. I gain muscles, but even muscles weight more than not having much of them. I always get more hungry, get appetite and cravings when I exercise. And even when I try to control what and how much I eat, exercise can make my BS drop really low and literally force me to eat carbs and proteins to stabilize that.

Diet is responsible for a app 90% of weight loss, exercises, maybe 10%, if not less. Unless you exercises are very challenging, and you exercise for hours every day.

I deal with chronic pain and I'm limited what and how much I can exercise. I can lose weight by following proper for me diet, dense proteins, good fat, some non starchy veggies. Basically keto-paleo type diet. With AIP protocol (autoimmune type diet that may limit inflammation in the body).

What do I eat in a day?

I.e. today I had lots a liquids including electrolyte drink (without a sugar), I had a few slices of salami, ham, 1/2 avocado and sliced cucumber. Some nuts, and a protein drink as snacks. Dinner was some meatloaf, and a smoked turkey, with some avocado and pickles. As a dessert, after dinner I had some nuts, and a NoSuga KetoCup, a dark chocolate dessert I found in Costco. They are keto-paleo, and I like it.

I eliminated alcohol, sugar, grains, dairy (allergies), and most starches, as well as nightshade vegetables, and foods high in FODMAP (they can cause gas and IBS flare).

I also try to avoid most artificial sweeteners, like aspartame, Splenda, etc.

In natural sweeteners I tolerate stevia, monkfruit,and allouose. I try to limit sugar alcohols, because even erythritol can affect my IBS.

My diet may seems very strict, but I have spine stenosis, DDD, arthritis and fibromyalgia. When I follow my diet very well,without cheating, my arthritis pain and fibromyalgia gets down to 1-3 level of pain. Quite manageable. But when I eat sugars, or grains, or drink alcohol, etc, my pain can be up to 8-9 level, and stay there for days. After eating "whatever" for over 12 months, it took me 3 weeks of strict diet to reduce the pain and inflammation to a manageable level.

But one slip, having a dessert, a large ice cream, after my dinner, knocked me back into 8-9 level of pain. Thankfully, after cursing about my stupidity, and returning to eating "clean", the pain only lasted 5 days, and the worst inflammation and pain started diminishing after 3 days of good for me eating.

( I reserve "pain at level 10" as a pain that makes me unable to speak, or even afraid to breathe too deeply, the "trip to ER pain level")

I personally believe that some of us, who deal with chronic pain, can benefit by eliminating foods that can increase inflammation in our bodies.

Unfortunately, it may be challenging to find out what to eliminate, and what we can eat. Sometimes small amounts of some foods may be relatively harmless, but if that is eaten in larger quantities, or very often (i.e. daily), it can cause an inflammatory reaction. Plus as times goes and we change, what we are allergic or sensitive to can also change.

How much do you hate the extra weight you are carrying? What are you willing to give up to lose the weight and ...Hopefully decrease inflammation in your body?

How badly do you want to lose the regain ? And why is it important to you?

Write it down. Every one reason you can think off. Even small things. Make a list. Then take action.

My main motto is "one day at a time, one meal at a time ".

No matter how many times I "fail" my desire to stay on plan.

"Failure" is not getting up when you fell. So... I practice making sure I do my best at every meal, and every snack, learning from my own mistakes. "One day at a time, one meal a time". I know I can't undo what was done, but I can do better the very next time.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

ecm1109
on 7/26/21 7:20 am

Thanks Hala! I needed to read this today!

Melody P.
on 7/27/21 2:05 am - Amarillo, TX

I'm so glad that I checked out this post as I needed to read this too. Time to buckle up and do what I need to do. Thank you so much for this response!

sor09
on 7/26/21 1:37 pm

What ever you choose, consult with your PCP or Bariatrics staff since here we do not have your medical history. There is no one fits all for success, and we joust got opinions. The have tests and treatments, tools, and prescriptions to help you back on track. There is no magic for WLS post op success. Coping skills and back to basics can help a lot. Journaling day-to-day is a start. Best wishes.

sweetpotato1959
on 7/26/21 10:22 pm

want2bsmall ,

These other ladies have covered your possible actions fairly well. You have made the first step in acknowledging where you are and where you need to go..

yes.. anti-inflammatory diet does indeed help. I have not gotten mine truly refined yet, but can really tell it if i mess up,really bad..LOL

I use a natural anti inflammatory herbal/natural.. called Moringa Oleifera.Ask your pain doctor for permission to try it.... so he/she can check it out before... i pick it up in spring valley selection at wally world. it is a ground leaf from plant and has no bad side effects i have found. My intestines are very sensitive and this and willow bark are my "pain Control". I have Lyme arthritis, and osteoarthritis.many symptoms of fibromyalgia...(think from lyme- i have had more than 30 years).Moringa gives No gastric distress/ and has nothing that picks up on any screen.No physical symptom except eases stiffness and pain. i take 2000mg- 2 capules, in morning only... it is safe to take on q 4-6 hour schedule. I fell this last week and have used it 2 x a day for wrist injury. ..explanation... I had a SURPRISE face to face encounter with large rat snake and i fell over my OWN feet trying to get away! LOL

For me i find a total activity log..with foods, and reaction is what i needed to find what causes my increase in symptoms of pain and dietary intolerance. My diet is very tight ... no milk, cheese, very limited nightshades, no /little w/ sulfa compounds..( 1 oz-cooked serving)limited carbs,limited fats,heavy protein..i eat a lot of eggs.. my goal is 30 grams minimum for morning and i often eat them poached.

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 474 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 433 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 433 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 365 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 103 views
Forum Search Error & 404