8 years out and suddenly can't tolerate carbs

shygirlxoxo
on 9/12/21 1:48 pm - savannah, GA
RNY on 12/04/12

So I'm 8 years out. I used to dump a lot the first few years and it gradually went away but over the last year I have been havingajor problems with carbs, especially anything with flour. It makes me a have a panic attack, heart races so high and I feel terrible and usually tired afterwards. It seems to be a lot worse when I am stressed and gives me anxiety to the point that I hardly want to eat. It seems like even many foods that are not fatty/carby make me feel slightly off but carbs really get to me. Has anyone else had problems like these so far out?

-Anna  HW: 401 | SW: 377 (12/04/12) Blog: http://notfattabulous.blogspot.com

White Dove
on 9/12/21 3:23 pm

It is not related to your surgery. Many people who never had weight loss surgery have this reaction to flour and other refined carbs.

Carbs cause your insulin to spike. Then adrenaline and cortisol, the stress hormones, rush in to keep your blood sugar from crashing. Those hormones cause the panic attacks. The best solution is to eat as little as possible of things made with flour, sugar, and other carbs.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

cheapskate
on 9/13/21 4:43 am
RNY on 03/30/15

Thank you for this explanation! I see a PCP only and have this problem. I just eat SUPER Clean. I never chance it unless I'm home because Mine ends with an "accidental" Nap

sweetpotato1959
on 9/13/21 1:08 pm

White Dove is on the money!

It is the type of carb, must be limited and any high carb foods... peas, potatoes,beans, butterbeans, corn.

.. if you need a little for balance when you are home begin w/ trial of 1/4 of the portion you would normally eat. The gastric symptoms come before the blood sugar changes... all of those responses are connected to the vagal nerve..

This condition. used to be called relative hypoglycemia..(relative to food ingested, and your body's individual response to the amount you consume.It s now called prediabetes.

.I have had it over 40 years.WLS was 26 years ago/Oct. I am giving you the same warning i was given when my post paradial blood sugar of 19 was found....( this is a blood sugar taken after a -10 hour fast, followed by a heavy carb meal, wait is 2 hours...then blood draw.Make sure you have adequate supervision for this test-are not alone when it is done, loss of consciousness can occur.and is dangerous.)

..Control it now or you will become insulin dependent within 1-5 years... I was a nurse active for 20 years and personally don't want any size needle coming at me.

I eat high protein and max of 30-50 grams carbs a day. every other month take a 20 day round of bitter melon...have been doing this for several years..( this is my maintainence schedule)...it is taken half the time 1x daily, for 3-4 months to initiate and get sugars stable. There s no majic pill to take to stabilize your sugar.. must be dietary... yes meds like glucophage will, for the short term... they also have side effects . Take care of yourself. You can do this.

Recent Topics
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 7 replies · 81 views
Whats on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 375 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 418 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 495 views