Myelography

Melody P.
on 9/27/21 12:43 pm - Amarillo, TX

So I went to the neurosurgeon and know about as much as I did going in.

He mentioned he would rather see me get a pain pump. He also wants me to get a myelography. Oh joy.

Does anyone have experience with this? Since I can't get an mri locally this was the only other choice. Just curious as to experiences of others. I know they'll inject my spinal area with a contrast(kind of like a spinal tap he said) then do a CT scan.

I'm in a pretty dark place as I now know I'll have some pain for probably forever. That's sobering as heck.

H.A.L.A B.
on 9/27/21 1:18 pm

Hi love, Its not fun, and often when the person has a pain pump, they stay on it.

I know some PM doctors don't want to deal with with pain pump meds.

One person with MS has that and I know he drove 2 hours each way to get to "his doctor"

Good luck love.

On another side - you mentioned A1C at 6.7. That is really not good. I really hope you understand that the sugar in your body can cause a severe damage to the nerves and small capillaries.

I have known people with diabetic neuropathy and from what they told me, nothing would touch that pain. There is also your eyesight. And other stuff.

If nothing else - I hope you really get the motivation going to get better.

BTW: if you get more motivation that you need, send it my way? OK?

I'm far from perfect myself. I have been trying to get off sugar and carbs, and I do good for a 2-3 weeks then relapse. My major issues is when I eat grains and carbs is pain -gut pain, fibromyalgia pain, increased lower back pain and sciatica due to increased inflammation. And last but not least - arthritis pain - that can go from low or mild to severe in just 24 hrs, and it take me over a week, often longer, for the inflammation to drop drop and for me to start feeling better. I don't know how to "remember" how badly I feel when I don't follow good for me diet. Because as soon as I start feeling better, I start "cheating" on my diet...

so pass on the extra motivation, ok? lets do it together... you your way, and I my way. OK?

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Melody P.
on 9/27/21 4:36 pm - Amarillo, TX

I need to find my motivation. So far I just seem to fall deeper into the abyss. I try to be positive and I'll start the day off great then it goes to hell.

I need to do some research some stuff heavily. And to start giving a dam.

I will be sure to share if I find it

lmfontana4
on 9/28/21 9:05 am
RNY on 03/24/21

Melody,

I am sorry for the bad news about your pain. Have you thought about a support group for chronic pain?

Lana

HW 296 SW 267.8 GW 130 LW 128.2 CW 131.6

Age 55 5 ft 4 inches

Roux-en-Y 3/24/21

Internal Hernia 1/14/22

Gallbladder 3/22

Volvulus 10/7/23-Reversal of RNY 11/19/23

The last of the human freedoms, to choose one's attitude in any given set of circumstances. (Frankl, 1946)

Melody P.
on 9/28/21 1:00 pm - Amarillo, TX

I have tried a few online places. I'm kind of socially awkward and have a hard time fitting in sometimes. I'd make posts and no one responded so I gave up on those. I need to find something else. I hate hate HATE feeling so downtrodden all the time. Like a dark cloud that brings everyone down.

thank you!

KalesD
on 9/28/21 3:31 am
RNY on 09/30/20

Mel,

I've never HAD the procedure done, but I have assisted in the procedure and scanned the patients probably a hundred times..

You'll start out on your side, you'll be prepped in a sterile fashion, then some freezing.. they will then access your spinal canal (exactly the same as a lumbar puncture) and then inject the contrast dye. It shouldn't hurt but may be uncomfortable. You'll then have your CT .. after that you usually have to stick around for a bit and then you're done and can leave.

Sending you positive vibes!

Surgery 09/30/20

CW: 147.6 |SW: 221.6 |HW: 255

Learning my new normal, one day at a time.

Melody P.
on 9/28/21 1:01 pm - Amarillo, TX

Thank you, it's appreciated!

(deactivated member)
on 9/30/21 2:40 pm, edited 9/30/21 7:44 am
RNY on 01/01/14

I told you about my elderly ex runner ( and severe car accident victim) friend who got that electronic pain intervention built-in . Years ago ... still working.

He exercises every single morning for several hours and though he still can?t run ( which he *****es about every day at eighty plus ! ) he seems extremely happy - he and his hot younger second wife travel all the time to Europe... have enough energy to play around with local politics ( she?s a Councilwoman) .... and most importantly he doesn?t have to take any pain meds . Yes he enjoys his martinis in the afternoon....and great restaurants but nothing ridiculous. Seems super healthy.

During the car accident his back and neck were broken in several places . He used to have a lopsided stride and has had very serious major neck surgeries to correct that . And no pain .

If you saw the scars ... they literally cut his throat wide open .... and a few weeks later he's out and about walking an hour ( fast ) and then weight lifting. You DO have to figure out how to manage the pain or it will wear you down and rob you of your happiness and probably shorten your life .

(((())) hugs and wishing you the best making this very important decision.

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 539 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 525 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 413 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 277 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 127 views
Recent Topics