Weight stalling after a month

agif2u
on 12/19/21 7:16 pm
RNY on 11/10/21

Hi everyone, I'm new here. Has anyone stalled after 1 month? I try to stay away from the scale but went to the doctor for a check up and found out that I haven't lost a pound in weeks.

I converted the sleeve to the bypass and in the first 1-2 weeks i lost 29lbs and then it stop. I don't know if I'm doing anything wrong but I'm also in a wheelchair so that slows the process. Any advice? Thanks!

(deactivated member)
on 12/20/21 4:37 am, edited 12/19/21 9:06 pm
RNY on 09/01/12

I lost VERY slowly the first few months then started to drop weight ( and sizes ) rapidly.

I think a very important component of dropping the excess weight quickly was gentle exercise . I followed my docs recommendation to walk every half hour directly after surgery for weeks ( my lovely pet cat patiently accompanied me ) and when I could a little later I made first thing in the morning rollerblading or walking / shopping a priority.

Muscle burns many calories even while at rest - it also helps define your new shape in a very attractive way . It DOES weigh a LOT more ( 3x !! ) than fat of the same volume so if you exercise intensively youll drop sizes way before you see your efforts reflected in the scale .

Being in a wheelchair makes exercise interesting- just think of the many amazing athletes who are competing in the paralympics and past champions- Olympians like Florence Griffith Joiner who suffered all her life from debilitating asthma and repeatedly won gold medals despite her handicap.
((())) hugs and welcome back to the losers bench !!!

agif2u
on 12/20/21 4:14 pm
RNY on 11/10/21

Very interesting, but I'm trying and thank you!

Partlypollyanna
on 12/20/21 4:55 am
RNY on 02/14/18

Three week stall is a thing! You can search this forum and find many examples. Also, revisions don't seem to lose as much/as rapidly as original surgeries, there's quite a bit in here about that too.

hang in there and keep following your program!

HW: 306 SW: 282 GW: 145 (reached 2/6/19) CW:150

Jen

catwoman7
on 12/20/21 8:10 am
RNY on 06/03/15

almost all of us experience our first major stall sometime during the first month or so after surgery. It's so common it even has a name, which Partlypollyanna mentioned - the "three week stall" (because it's usually the third week after surgery - but not always). If you do a search for it on this site, you're likely to find thousands of posts on it. Just stick to your plan and stay off the scale for a few days if you need to. It'll eventually break and you'll be on your way again.

agif2u
on 12/20/21 4:12 pm
RNY on 11/10/21

Thanks!

White Dove
on 12/21/21 2:16 am - Warren, OH

When you have your original surgery, you go from a stomach that is the size o a 2-liter bottle of soda and it gets reduced to the size of a grape. Weight loss is quick and effortless because you can't eat enough to stop it.

But in time we learn how to eat around the surgery and manage to gain weight back, even with a tiny stomach. This is normally by grazing and eating high calorie foods in small amounts through the day. Even if you can never eat a full size meal, you stop losing and start gaining again.

With the revision, you get a slightly smaller stomach, but you have already learned how to gain weight with a tiny stomach. Most people lose 20 pounds with a revision. That happens from the liquid diet before and after the surgery. Once they go back to eating again, the weight loss stops.

If you really want to lose more weight, you need to start counting calories, drinking more water, and weighing yourself daily. Not weighing simply keeps you in denial. I have weighed myself every day since my RNY in 2007. Even with doing that I have had periods of regain. Exercise is a bonus. But you can lose the weight even if you can do no exercise at all.

A woman needs 10 calories per day to maintain one pound. Multiply your goal weight by 10 and that is the approximate number of calories that you can eat. My goal is 136. I can maintain at 1400 per day,. To lose a pound a week, I have to go to about 900 calories a day. It is hard but I force myself to do it.

After the first few honeymoon years of surgery, I went back to Weigh****chers. I track my food and exercise and I always know exactly what the scale says. No matter how you slice it, your weight will reflect the amount of calories that you are consuming and burning.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 531 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 514 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 390 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 220 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 17 replies · 328 views