5 +yrs out... having some ah ha's

ejirish
on 2/10/22 5:22 pm

I'm a slow learner. I get it. I'm 5 years out, never lost everything I wanted to (solid 30 to go ..). I've been counting cals, tracking points.. moderate exercise. I'm much happier after losing 65, and no regain by the grace of god. I have a desk job.. but am now remote, so I can definitely get more exercise in. I'm 49/ fem. the scale hasn't moved for me besides the same 5 lbs in 3 1/2 years ..

Ive been reading everyone's posts, and responses to posts and it's very clear to me that my carbs are too high.. (between 80 and 110).. I really need to get them to 50 I'm thinking.
my daily diet includes a built bar (protein bar) everyday and an enlightened pb yogurt Bar every night..bad habits I know. in the scheme of things I didn't think they're bad or unhealthy. But definitely too high in carbs. The rest of my average day: (eggs and veges for breakfast, Greek yogurt and 1/2 portion Catalina crunch plus lean turkey for lunch, protein and veg for din) I know I sound like a whiner but going on another restrictive diet seems so daunting. I'm at 1200 cals and 80/100 carbs and I'm so pissed that can't be good enough. But here we are.. and here I am.

Where do I start now? I don't even remember how I ate after surgery those years ago... what's a realistic diet that's low carb but you don't feel like you're starving or being punished?

any advice appreciated .. I just need a starting point. So sick of always feeling like I failed myself. I really need to see the scale go down again.. before I turn 50 is my goal. Xx

catwoman7
on 2/10/22 8:48 pm
RNY on 06/03/15

not all programs are super low carb. Many are, but some are more balanced. When I was in weight loss mode, I was eating around 80 carbs a day and still lost my excess weight. Also, what are your stats? (height, weight) - a lot of people can lose weight on 1200 calories a day - I would for sure - but I realize some people have to go lower.

are you still tracking your food and weighing/measuring most things? If not, I'd be inclined to start there.

RNY 06/03/15 by Michael Garren (Madison, WI)

HW: 373 SW: 316 GW: 150 LW: 138 CW: 163

ejirish
on 2/11/22 6:30 am

I had sleeve at 289, now I'm 223 ( been here +/- 5 lbs for 3 yrs). I've always had a terrible time losing. I've been on every diet since I was 16. I did medifast for a long time and ruined my gallbladder ( removed at 20), I've done Jeni, nutrisys, WW, then I had surgery and lost the minimum they said I would. I've had thyroid checked multiple times, have seen the NUT. I did have COVID in 2020, lost taste and smell and lost 13 lbs.. so I know weight loss is possible. I just think I'm very sensitive to carbs. I truly don't eat crppy food. Black coffee, no alc or soda ever. No pasta.. I track cals and points (WW).. but it's proving to not be enough. I'm going to stop the built bar and enlighten bar for starters ..

catwoman7
on 2/11/22 8:01 am
RNY on 06/03/15

WhiteDove sometimes posts the following rule of thumb here (and I've seen this in other places as well) - if you multiply your weight in pounds by 10, that's about how many calories it takes to maintain your current weight. Of course, some people vary a bit from that - depending on their metabolic rate and how active they are - but regardless, that's a pretty good ballpark figure - and a good place to start. And unfortunately, I think it's largely true - I've been hovering around 160 for the last year or so, and it does seem that around 1600 calories maintains my current weight (unfortunate in that I'd rather weigh 150 - but obviously not enough to do what it'll take to get there, or else I'd be there...). It's a little easier for me to drop a bit in the summer, but that's because I'm on my bike 1.5-3 hours most days, and I'm just out and about more because it's warm.

anyway, according to this rule of thumb, it'd take about 2200 calories to maintain your current weight (and honestly, there are definitely some normal non-WLS women who can eat that much, esp if they're pretty active - so it's not that that is a particularly outrageous amount (would be for me, but for some women, no)). So if you're only eating 1200 calories and your weight is not budging, there's something going on here. I'm wondering if you should check with your PCP to rule out anything weird? Like maybe a lot of water retention from liver or heart issues - or some metabolic issue? I'm not sure - but something isn't right here.

White Dove
on 2/11/22 4:12 am - Warren, OH

I had RNY in 2017. I am currently working on a nine pound gain. I do not restrict or count carbs, but I do count calories and stick to 1400 calories per day to maintain 136. Yesterday morning I was 147 and slowly working on being back to 136 sometime before June. If I make up my mind to do it quicker, I will go to 900 calories a day and lose a pound a week. I am doing it the slow way and sticking to 1200 which means one or two pounds a month. It is extremely easy for me to end up going over calories by an extra snack or treat.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

ejirish
on 2/11/22 6:35 am

Yes, I weigh everything that goes in my mouth too. I'm tracking in my fitness pal and WW. I just have to suck it up and drop some carbs and 100 cals and keep tracking till I start losing again. I just wish there was a quicker method to know exactly the macros i need to lose .. it's a very daunting process ( for me)

catwoman7
on 2/11/22 8:03 am
RNY on 06/03/15

that's what I would do. Weigh/measure and track everything that goes into your mouth. If after two or three weeks, nothing is happening, then drop by 100 calories. Rinse and repeat til you get to the point where you're losing weight again.

White Dove
on 2/11/22 9:16 am - Warren, OH

What works best is to multiply your goal weight by 10 and eat that number of calories to maintain. To maintain 120 pounds, 1200 calories a day. To lose a pound a week, subtract 500 calories a day. For a man it is 12 calories per pound to maintain. I have found I feel best when I eat very little white foods. No rice, potatoes, rolls, pasta, rolls, cookies, sugar, or cereals. I do eat very high fiber whole wheat bread with lots of seeds. I have found that 500 calories from a brownie counts the same as 500 calories from chicken but I am a lot fuller with chicken.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

sweetpotato1959
on 2/14/22 11:31 am

suggestions...try intermittent fasting for a jump start. try for that 3x a week 14 -16hour fast . cut carbs to 50. increase protein grams to 90-100. NO sweetners. NO SODA OF ANY KIND. Lots of filtered water. do a lver cleans with milk thistle to help your liver clear fat you are trying to loose..

beechie46
on 2/11/22 12:43 pm

Don't get me wrong but I have done WW many many times. The last time I tried it, they had just added "All the fruit you want. I never did over 2 fruits a day. Mind you I can get so obsessed with following it to the T. So I exercised and counted everything that went into my mouth. I didn't cheat but very small amount of weight came off. I was devastated! Another one bites the dust. My WLS has allowed me to lose the weight and maintained my loss for 9 1/2 Years. The only time I EVER got to my goal weight was I didn't eat anything due to being sick at that time. So we all are differ in how we lose and how we maintain our weight. I know we can do THIS due to so many being successful. Hang tight and never give up.

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 541 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 526 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 414 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 293 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 128 views
Recent Topics