Whats on your (finally) (photo) Friday plan?

H.A.L.A B.
on 7/15/22 1:24 pm

Because I got into computers due to work (an engineer), I became a Dos then Windows computer person. I got one apple item - my audio- music box, but I hated it. As soon as I could I got MP3 digital player. I still don't like anything Apples -Mac items.

I have a few (a few too many) android tablets, phones, etc., and they are so easy for me to use and so inexpensive that when one breaks down, or I sma**** by an accident - I just get another.

Once you are an android user - it's tough to go back.

My colleague broke his phone, and since we could be "cheap" in a business, he started using his daughter's older (but not old) iPhone. He lasted only 2 months. lol. I wouldn't touch it, so when he was having issue with it, he would have to go to Verizon or come to my house to get it "corrected". After 2 months I got him a new android phone, and he was very happy. He has this phone now for 4-5 years? and still he is happy with it. Recently he replaced a battery in it, and he really doesn't want a new phone. I got him a new 10" tablet (android -galaxy - < $230) plus a new laptop computer with 17" screen (that's what he wanted - $500), and he is set for at least 2 more years (business expenses - he could really get what he wanted). We are practical.

At the same time - we have an IT person at work, plus Keith (my partner) is an IT so I have people who take care of most of my/our stuff. I'm an engineer, and I know a lot about computers and systems, but as I'M getting older - I appreciate the fact that I can "delegate" some stuff.

Keith is an IT person, and he really likes Macs, but he told me that he can't justify spending that type of money on those products. He likes his toys. and tools and cars, and .... and he told me he has to prioritize.

Switching from Apple to androids can be panful initially, but once you do it - many people don't want to switch back.

I read books on my tablets, plus listen to music and audiobooks. I have audiobooks in MP3, and many eBooks in kindle or google play books format. They are so easy to share between friends. Like real books. Apples are more restricted in that area.

PS: a few years ago my sister told me one of her friend got an iPad. It wasn't a direct question - or request for me to get her one, but I told her I could get her an android tablet or nothing. She is smart and told me that android would be perfect. That's what she got, plus a simple laptop (16 years ago). This year I got her 2 new android tablets (one 10.5 and another 8.7") She loves them. Her old one was REALLY old.

We started using android tablets at work. They are easier to carry around, and can be used to update inventory, scan shipments, take pictures and even text or call. They're dropping down in prices so fast that it would be shame not to use that.

I just got 2 new for work on prime day - my 8.7" was $125 including taxes, and the new 10.5" was $170. I added the screen protectors, plus a sturdy cases (20-25 total each) and even if they are dropped on a concrete - they are fine.

Consider changing. Sometimes change is good.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

lmfontana4
on 7/15/22 2:41 pm
RNY on 03/24/21

I may consider going with android (Samsung) phone when my current iPhone no longer works. We bought my kids the Samsun phones because they were on special as a buy one get one free for the newest model. DH is always having issues with his iPhone, and I think they dont last as long as the android. So thinking about it when the time comes.

HW 296 SW 267.8 GW 130 LW 128.2 CW 131.6

Age 55 5 ft 4 inches

Roux-en-Y 3/24/21

Internal Hernia 1/14/22

Gallbladder 3/22

Volvulus 10/7/23-Reversal of RNY 11/19/23

The last of the human freedoms, to choose one's attitude in any given set of circumstances. (Frankl, 1946)

H.A.L.A B.
on 7/15/22 3:08 pm

I've got now Google Pixel with 128 Gb memory.

I have it for at least 3 years. I love audiobooks and I have A LOT of them. I keep app 100 audiobooks on my phone at all time. Plus I have most of my books for google play book (epub type) to read on my phone. I love how google account keeps rack of off my stuff. Its almost as easy as with apple to configure new device.

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Melody P.
on 7/16/22 5:34 am - Amarillo, TX

I did love apple for a long time but I'm over the costs.

May I ask what brand of pc do you recommend? I was thinking Lenovo because I've had HP and they always load their stuff with so much junk...my last laptop died and it never was great...an HP. I wish I could afford to do my own build but I need the versatility of a lap top. We have no room for a desk and I need about a 14 to 15.6 inch size. I want at least 8gb ram and SSD. The Lenovo I'm looking at has 12gb ram and I think 512mb SSD memory.

I'm not really the biggest windows fan either. But I think it's whatever you're used to is what you "like".

my phone is a cheapie android phone..one of the lesser samsung models. Hoping to get a better one sometime before I die...LOL

Melody P.
on 7/16/22 5:38 am - Amarillo, TX

I am obviously lacking sleep. LOL. That was an ASUS I was looking at. Not 512mb but GB. I need some rest.

here is the Lenovo I'm considering. I may be able to borrow the money from my mom come Christmas time(our car insurance, house insurance bills due this month and next month).

H.A.L.A B.
on 7/16/22 8:27 am

With laptops - it's often a question what you want: monitor size, things like touch screen or not, if you want a lighted keyboards, etc, ect. if you want to use it when travel (or moving it around) - the weight may be important.

Most laptops no longer have build in CD-DVD drives, so if you want to be able to burn music Cd's or audiobooks - consider buying a separate DVD drive.

I would not get ASUS. They are not considered "good and lasting". Dell may be a good option - and you often can get them at a great deal on dell site. They often have them on special. Sam's or Costco often have good deals. Plus their warrantee can be better.

Not sure what you are planning to do a with it, but I would consider 12GB ram, so the computer would work good longer - the speed of loading stuff, specially graphics and doing editing i.e. pictures.

I can ask Keith what he would recommend, he is really good at finding good deals. (he is IT person)

But with most laptops these days - specially the "brand names" (dell HP, etc) most of them are OK, but you always can get a "lemon". In teh past - they were build more solid - but the y were heavy. Now - people damage them and change them every 2-4 years.

Getting extra warrantee could be a good idea. Also - getting it from place that can offer extra support can be also considered.

Here is an example of Dell (

https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/dell-laptops/inspiron-15-300 0-laptop/spd/inspiron-15-3525-laptop/nn3525fjqhs?view=config urations

https://deals.dell.com/en-us/productdetail/eqz8

I know you mentioned you don't like HP This is what I got from Costco for my 2 guys.

HP 17.3" Laptop - 11th Intel Core i5 -1155G7 - 1080p - Windows 11

Item 1653451 Model 17-cn1063cl Online Price 699.99$ Less 200.00$-

Your Price: 499.99$

Shipping & Handling: $9.99*

($200 manufacturer's savings is valid 6/22/22 through 7/24/22. While supplies last. Limit 2 per member. Sales may not have occurred at original price previously. Terms & Conditions)

Features:

• Microsoft® Windows 11 Home
  • 11th Gen Intel® Core? i5-1155G7 Processor
  • 17.3" IPS Anti-Glare FHD (1920 x 1080) Display
  • HD Audio with Stereo Speakers
  • Full-size Backlit Natural Silver Keyboard with Numeric Keypad

Processor & Memory:

• 11th Gen Intel® Core? i5-1155G7 Processor
    • 12GB DDR4 3200MHz RAM

Operating System:

• Microsoft® Windows 11 Home

Drives:

• 512GB PCIe® NVMe? M.2 Solid State Drive
    • No Optical Drive

Graphics & Video:

• 17.3" IPS Anti-Glare FHD (1920 x 1080) Display
    • Intel® Iris® Xe Graphics

Communications:

• 802.11 Wireless-AC and Bluetooth®
    • HP True Vision 720p HD Camera with Dual Array Digital Microphone

Audio:

• HD Audio with Stereo Speakers

Keyboard:

• Full-size Backlit Natural Silver Keyboard with Numeric Keypad

Ports:

• 1x USB SuperSpeed Type C
    • 2x USB SuperSpeed Type A
    • 1x HDMI 1.4b
    • 1x Combination Headphone/Microphone Jack

Power Supply:

• 3-Cell 41WHr Lithium-ion Battery

Additional Information:

• Dimensions: 15.78"W x 10.15"D x 0.78"H
  • Weight (approximately): 4.60 lbs

Melody P.
on 7/16/22 8:45 am - Amarillo, TX

Thank you so much! I am wanting to do photo editing of a 24 megapixel camera. I also do a lot of music. I do have an external hard drive already for PCs.

I would want the 12 but it's also a matter of money. I think I'll just save up longer and get what I want. I had wondered about Dell. I'm not dead set against HP but just a little wary.

thanks again for all the info! It is very much appreciated!

H.A.L.A B.
on 7/17/22 1:23 pm

I was wrong about Lenovo laptops. There used to be really bad in the past, but in the last 2-4 years they have been great. Keith used to hate them, now he loves them. Go figure. I'm behind since last 6-7 years I rely completely on Keith on "what I need". Lol.

When I want a new computer, I tell Keith and tell him max I'm willing to pay for the best processor I want. Im often impatient and at work I always work on at least 5 if not more programs. Including 2 very large databases. I don't have time to wait too long for my site to give me what I want.

Dell - you often pay for the brand name. HP - they have been lately Costco preferred brand based on prices I see. My desktop is Dell and it's relatively old. But I bought the top of the line when I got it, and so far it's still working very well. We use server for almost anything.

Emiepie
on 7/15/22 5:17 am
RNY on 08/11/14

Good Morning! FRI-YAY! Jen, love the pics and it looks like a fun experience. I hope you have a great day and weekend. We are celebrating John's birthday this weekend (he's headed to Chicago on Monday for a work conference) and I have a hair appt tomorrow.

QOTD: I feel like I always have a running dialogue in my head.

TSS: 7 years 11 months

B: SF latte, Fiber/protein oatmeal , turkey sausage, and an orange

L: TBD, might be hitting a BBQ place with a group from work.

S: Protein puffs, mixed nuts, a peach and yogurt

D: Leftovers if we get BBQ for lunch

ES: Greek yogurt

E: Elliptical and treadmill

V/W: On track

Totals: TBD

Have a great one!

RNY 8/11/14 with Dr. Kelvin Higa PS Lipectomy 4/12/17 with Dr. John Burnett HW291.4/CW165/GW150

Amy Liz
on 7/15/22 5:50 am
RNY on 11/21/16

Happy Birthday John! Enjoy your hair appt!

RNY 11/21/16 - HW/SW 309 LW 150

REVISION 4/10/23 - HW 240 SW 225 CW 176 GW 175

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 420 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 374 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 423 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 31 replies · 198 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?