New Here, Surgery Tomorrow

Freyrography
on 7/18/22 8:05 am
RNY on 07/19/22

Hello. I just found this site and am having RNY tomorrow and I'm worried about how I'm going to handle certain cravings. You see, I'm allergic to aspartame. SF jello and Popsicles are made with-- you guessed it-- aspartame. From what I've heard from others, sugar will make me sick. Is this true? Will I really have to depend solely on protein shakes and water/G2 my first week post-op? Thanks in advance for any answers/support.

catwoman7
on 7/18/22 10:41 am
RNY on 06/03/15

sugar doesn't make everyone sick. About 30% of bypass patients experience "dumping", which is what you're referring to. It's caused by too much sugar entering the small intestine at one time. The small intestine goes into overdrive trying to deal with it. But again, it only happens to about 30% of us, and it can be prevented by avoiding or limiting the amount of sugar you eat in one sitting. Most dumpers can eat at least "some" sugar without setting it off (I've never dumped - and most of us haven't)

as far as protein shakes only the first week, that varies widely by clinic. It seems like most people are on a liquid diet the first couple of weeks post-op, but not all of us. They had me eating purees as soon as I got home from the hospital. Your clinic should give you a diet plan before you leave the hospital (if not before).

RNY 06/03/15 by Michael Garren (Madison, WI)

HW: 373 SW: 316 GW: 150 LW: 138 CW: 163

catwoman7
on 7/18/22 10:43 am
RNY on 06/03/15

P.S. most of us lose our sense of hunger for the first few months after surgery, so you're probably going to be fine just drinking protein shakes. I lost my hunger and my interest in food for the first five months or so post-surgery. Even the protein shakes seemed like a bit much to me - but I drank them anyway since my body needed the calories and nutrition to heal.

RNY 06/03/15 by Michael Garren (Madison, WI)

HW: 373 SW: 316 GW: 150 LW: 138 CW: 163

Partlypollyanna
on 7/18/22 11:40 am
RNY on 02/14/18

I think it's really important to follow your clinic's plan the first couple of weeks while you are healing. Eventually, you will be able to make your own choices based on what works for you but initially, sticking to their plan will be good if you have to follow up with any issues/complications.

I have never tried G2 or SF popsicles. I do dump so I read labels to determine what I can/can't have; also, I never try something for the first time away from home, that way if I do have an issue, at least I'm at home.

Dessert flavored hot tea is a good go to for me when I have sweet cravings, just read the box to make sure they are not adding anything to the teabags you don't want!

HW: 306 SW: 282 GW: 145 (reached 2/6/19) CW:150

Jen

White Dove
on 7/19/22 5:56 am - Warren, OH

I tell myself and others that I am allergic to sugar. It makes me break out in fat. Fortunately I do fine with Splenda. Nany things that say aspartame on the label actually also have sugar alcohols that cause problems. Read everything on the label. Find a way to stop using sugar and flour. It takes time and effort but will make this surgery work long term.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 540 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 525 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 413 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 288 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 127 views