Daily intake of carbohydrates

FindingCharlie
on 8/30/22 1:19 am - Saint Regis Falls, NY
RNY on 05/03/16

I am trying to get back to my basics and am wondering how many grams of carbohydrates I should limit my intake to daily? I know it is a complicated question because there are many types of carbs but in general how many does everyone keep daily intake amounts at? Thank in advance for the input.

BW: 259 SW: 241 CW: 155.4GW: 125

Nothing Tastes as Good as Healthy Feels!

Partlypollyanna
on 8/30/22 5:44 am
RNY on 02/14/18

What works for you and what works for someone else may be different; also the different post op plans were wildly divergent, it seems. Mine didn't set a limit on carbs only to eat them last after everything else (I think they say that because a number is too controlling and given the smaller portions, last would be "less).

Personally, I try to be 50 or less (25 or less if I'm trying to lose a few pounds at that moment) but there are several people who are very successful at higher carbs. Good luck!

HW: 306 SW: 282 GW: 145 (reached 2/6/19) CW:150

Jen

FindingCharlie
on 8/30/22 6:26 am, edited 8/29/22 11:27 pm - Saint Regis Falls, NY
RNY on 05/03/16

Thank you for your response and it is very helpful. I know the plan my doctor had given me just said, of course protein always first, amounts of vegetables, high fiber carbs such as brown rice etc, but wasn't specific about grams. I personally stay away from rice, pasta (brown or otherwise) because it makes me nauseous.The gram amounts you gave are very helpful ?I know I always do better with lower carbs. Once again thank you.

White Dove
on 8/30/22 12:31 pm - Warren, OH

Low carb of less than 20 per day gives 10% advantage. Eleven instead of 10 pound loss for same calories. That is what Dr Atkins found. I count calories only.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

FindingCharlie
on 8/30/22 3:20 pm - Saint Regis Falls, NY
RNY on 05/03/16

Than you for your help.

califsleevin
on 9/3/22 7:44 am - CA

I never controlled for them, but just aimed to get the best nutrition for the caloric buck that I could, once the basic protein needs were met. Retrospectively, that turned out to be a rough caloric balance between fats and carbs. In numbers that averaged around 80g for carbs in the early weeks and rose some over time to 100 or so when I found that I needed to specifically add more carbohydrate ahead of some workouts to extend my energy levels - basic nutrition science.

The "extra" loss that has been noted in some quarters is primarily a water weight effect that you gain back once you go back to a normal diet, so there's no real long term advantage there. It's mostly a "throw the baby out with the bathwater" type of diet that eliminates the good along with the bad, much like low fat diets did when they were the fad of the day.

1st support group/seminar - 8/03 (has it been that long?)  

Wife's DS - 5/05 w Dr. Robert Rabkin   VSG on 5/9/11 by Dr. John Rabkin

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 407 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 351 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 414 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 403 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Wednesday Menu?