Going to try Exercising

BasketballMom23
on 2/15/23 7:39 pm

Tomorrow I think I'm gonna trying exercise For the 1st time in years do you have any advice on what I can do at over 500 lbs , i can only walk for little bit before I started getting out of breath

(deactivated member)
on 2/15/23 11:44 pm
RNY on 01/24/23

Perhaps something in water? Water aerobics or gentle swimming? Your doctor should be able to provide advice is safe to do. Just moving as much as practical is good though.

Partlypollyanna
on 2/16/23 1:37 am
RNY on 02/14/18

You should definitely talk to your medical professional for guidance first.

Can you see if you can find any chair exercises on YouTube that you can do? Start slow, maybe do an exercise or a couple exercises at a time for a little bit, several times a day? If you can do that consistently for a few days, I bet it would also get you to a great start.

You could also start just tracking what you eat, don't make any changes, just write it down and once you have a few days of information AND you've had a few days of consistent exercising at the level you can do, maybe pick one thing to change in what you eat.

My program recommended making a small change for a week or two, and then adding another small change to that, so you see little successes and small changes lead to big changes overall. It also helps with the all or nothing mindset.

HW: 306 SW: 282 GW: 145 (reached 2/6/19) CW:150

Jen

califsleevin
on 2/16/23 10:22 am - CA

I agree, to start small and work up, even for a person of normal weight who hasn't exercised in years. Your WLS is doing the biggest part of the job for you on the weight loss front (estimates seem to typically be around 80/20 on the diet/exercise value provided.) Beyond walking, some water exercise is great if you have that available - our local YMCA has several levels of water exercise classes depending on how vigorous one wants to get. My wife is taking an online chair exercise class from our local adult school, as that is about her level in her dotage. Ditto on checking with your doctors on what is appropriate - some bariatric programs are better than others on providing specific exercise guidance along with nutritional guidance.

1st support group/seminar - 8/03 (has it been that long?)  

Wife's DS - 5/05 w Dr. Robert Rabkin   VSG on 5/9/11 by Dr. John Rabkin

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 539 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 525 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 412 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 277 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 127 views