Did You Tell Your Family/Friends How You Feel In Case Something Goes Wrong With The...

Freewheeler
on 5/3/23 12:35 pm

Greetings,

Not be be morbid, but I was just curios for those that had the surgery - did you feel compelled to tell your family/friends how you feel about them in case something went wrong with the surgery?

I have my sleeve surgery in a couple of weeks and I am sure I am needlessly worrying about it, but I have been thinking about the things I want to say to the people that I love as a just in case. I realize this could apply to any surgery, but I have never really felt this way before with past surgeries I have had.

I was just curious if anyone else here had the same mindset and expressed how they felt about their loved ones prior to bariatric surgery - just in case.

Thanks,

FW

Partlypollyanna
on 5/3/23 1:52 pm
RNY on 02/14/18

Regardless of having surgery or not having surgery/type of surgery, why wouldn't you make sure your family and friends know how you feel, any day/any time?

Tell them!

You could get hit by a rogue asteroid at any time! I truly try to live and love people so that is not one of the things they ever need to wonder about.

good luck with your upcoming surgery!

HW: 306 SW: 282 GW: 145 (reached 2/6/19) CW:150

Jen

Freewheeler
on 5/3/23 3:50 pm
On May 3, 2023 at 8:52 PM Pacific Time, Partlypollyanna wrote:

Regardless of having surgery or not having surgery/type of surgery, why wouldn't you make sure your family and friends know how you feel, any day/any time?

Tell them!

You could get hit by a rogue asteroid at any time! I truly try to live and love people so that is not one of the things they ever need to wonder about.

good luck with your upcoming surgery!

Sorry I may not have been clear.

I didn't mean a situation where you never told someone you loved them or you haven't expressed how you feel about your family or friends - although that may be the case for someone.

I meant more like a final goodbye - if something happens, I just want you to know....

Even if they know this already.

Thanks!

Partlypollyanna
on 5/3/23 4:41 pm
RNY on 02/14/18

Nope. Never a concern. And really when you've lost people have you thoughts been "did they really love me" or "did they know I loved them@? Mine have always been the latter.

Jen

Grim_Traveller
on 5/3/23 4:20 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

I was really not at all worried about not surviving the surgery. Really not worried. I was a lot more worried about dying of complications from obesity.

If you're that concerned, by all means talk to them. But you'll be fine.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Partlypollyanna
on 5/3/23 4:43 pm
RNY on 02/14/18

Same! A motivating factor was to still be around to meet my nieces and nephews kids, if they have them. Without it, I knew I wouldn't.

Jen

catwoman7
on 5/3/23 5:18 pm
RNY on 06/03/15

weight loss surgeries years ago used to be pretty risky, but they're just not anymore. Techniques have vastly improved - and the surgeries done back in the 50s and 60s (when they WERE pretty risky) aren't even done anymore. Morbidity rate on gastric bypass is 0.3%. Sleeve is even lower (I can't remember the percentage on sleeve since I had the bypass, but I do remember it was lower). So this means you have at least a 99.7% chance of not dying, and you won't. Those are excellent odds - better than the odds for hip and knee replacement surgeries, which as you know, they do all the time.

you have a much greater chance of dying from complications from obesity than you do from having weight loss surgery.

to answer your question, yes, at first I did have that fear - but I'm in my 60s and remember those old surgeries. Once I did my research on the ones they're doing now, I was fine with them.

RNY 06/03/15 by Michael Garren (Madison, WI)

HW: 373 SW: 316 GW: 150 LW: 138 CW: 163

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 366 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 301 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 389 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 400 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Wednesday Menu?