What's on your Jr Friday Menu?

White Dove
on 5/4/23 8:30 am - Warren, OH

I super absorbed iron after RNY and did not take iron supplements for many years. Then at about ten years out, my iron levels went way down and I had to get infusions. Now I maintain normal or slightly high iron with Proferrin.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

catwoman7
on 5/4/23 9:35 am
RNY on 06/03/15

I'm the same with calcium. I was excreting gobs of it in my urine, and my endocrinologist (who I see for osteoporosis) kept having me decrease my intake until she finally had me get off of it completely (she was afraid I'd destroy my kidneys if I kept that up...). We'll see if that holds - but I'm guessing at some point I'll have to start taking it again (I have it tested at least a couple of times a year)

RNY 06/03/15 by Michael Garren (Madison, WI)

HW: 373 SW: 316 GW: 150 LW: 138 CW: 163

White Dove
on 5/4/23 10:36 am - Warren, OH

They took me off calcium the first year and I have never needed supplements. It stays normal levels without any supplements.

catwoman7
on 5/4/23 3:12 pm
RNY on 06/03/15

good to know - maybe it'll be the same for me...

catwoman7
on 5/4/23 4:25 am
RNY on 06/03/15

Mornin' All!

I have to take my mother to see the orthopedics PA at 1:00 and then I have a board meeting at 6:00 over Zoom. With the latter, we're going to discuss whether to disband (a 100+ year organization!) or trudge on. Most of our members are elderly, attendance at events has been gradually declining over the years (we met over Zoom for two years - now back to in person but we're not getting the numbers we used to - far from it), and half the board is burnt out because some of us have been on it for YEARS, since people aren't exactly burning down the doors to get on it. I'd feel bad pulling the plug on it, but on the other hand, I've been on the board for 10 years and have been burnt out for at least the last two. It's really not healthy for an organization to not regularly get some new, motivated blood - but that hasn't happened with us for a long time. Sigh. Anyway, I'll probably get out on my bike this morning since it'll be warm enough, and the wind is going to pick up this afternoon. Should be fine this morning, though.

QOTD: I was one of those people standing in one of those enormous lines to get into the theater back when the original Star Wars came out in 1977. My friend ran over to the mall across the parking lot to get us a couple of cans of "Slime" to play with while we waited (this was long before smart phones!). I think I may have seen the "Empire Strikes Back" (was that the second one? If so, yep - saw that), but that was it. Not really my genre.

B: protein shake, coffee with half & half

MS/L: oatmeal topped with L&F creme brulee and a spoonful of tahini

AS: mixed fruit, more yogurt

D: ?? maybe a veggie burger? Not sure

have a great day, everyone!!

Teenie
on 5/4/23 7:39 am - Pittsburgh , PA
RNY on 12/19/17

Have you had recruitment events for your organization? May give that a try before you disband. Sounds a little harsh to give up on an institution that has been around for so long without giving it one good try.

HW 299 SW 290 CW 139 GW 140 2/08/2019 OPERATION: Surgical Hernia with excision of total surface area of 55 x 29 cm of abdominal skin.

catwoman7
on 5/4/23 9:42 am, edited 5/4/23 2:43 am
RNY on 06/03/15

we've been trying for a long time. If we decide to disband, we're going to get a letter out to the membership and keep all of our stuff active (bank account, Web site, membership database, etc) open for awhile on the chance some members will panic about us wanting to disband and then step up to take over some of these board positions. I think part of the issue is most of our members are in their 70s and 80s and just don't have the energy for that anymore - they just want to come to the events we organize. But we'll see...maybe the thought of us closing down will shake people up enough to step up.

we're not the only civic/social organization that's having issues (at least not in this area)...a lot of younger people don't seem to have a big interest in these kinds of things anymore, so memberships are aging (and dying!!!). Even our county's League of Women Voters group was struggling - that is, until Trump was elected. Suddenly their membership soared..

H.A.L.A B.
on 5/4/23 11:21 am

My In-laws ran for many years a Widowed Person Organization (app 15-20+ years?)/ They actually met there. Last year they decided to stop down. Before that - people would love to come to events they organized and.. but here were no takers to acutely do it. 6 moths after they step down and no activities, while they ignored members push for them to continue, 2 people step in and are running this now. They "gave" over 6 months notice to let other know they are stepping down. Only when they really stopped, someone decided to take over the responsibilities. .

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

catwoman7
on 5/4/23 3:14 pm
RNY on 06/03/15

that's what I"m hoping will happen with us. I'd love to see the organization continue, but with almost the whole board burnt out and wanting off, that's what it's going to take (other people stepping up and taking over...)

White Dove
on 5/4/23 8:34 am - Warren, OH

In 1977 my husband and I went to see a movie and the theater had sold out. They put us in another theater and showed us a movie that was about to be released later that week. It was Star Wars. I was fascinated and hooked and read all the books and followed the movies for years.

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 531 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 504 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 390 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 24 replies · 208 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 17 replies · 328 views