New drugs for weight loss - is it too good to be really good?

H.A.L.A B.
on 5/9/23 8:50 pm

Very interesting article about these meds..

https://www.statnews.com/2023/05/08/weight-loss-drugs-wegovy -novo/

"Robbing Peter to pay Paul': Obesity experts debate risks of new weight loss drugs"

Amid rising demand for drugs like Wegovy, Ozempic, and Mounjaro that can lead to significant weight loss, some obesity experts are concerned about the drugs' costs -- both to patients' finances and to their health.

Speaking at a panel on new obesity treatments at the STAT Breakthrough Summit in San Francisco on Thursday, one expert cited a large clinical trial for Wegovy that showed that about 40% of the weight participants lost was lean mass. Side effects like nausea, vomiting, and a possible link to rare cases of pancreatitis also still plague this newest class of drugs, which imitate the effects of a hormone called glucagon-like peptide 1 (GLP) that helps people feel full.

"That's what starvation does. You lose equal amounts of muscle and fat," said Robert Lustig, emeritus professor of pediatrics at the University of California, San Francisco. "If you're a person 60 years old or over and you're losing muscle, your risk of dying just went up exponentially. So we may be ... robbing Peter to pay Paul."

Read more of interested... link provided a5 the top

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 407 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 351 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 414 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 403 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 351 views