Upcoming Roux-en-Y

Livinit
on 5/11/23 4:59 pm
RNY on 05/17/23

Hello all,

i am just under a week out from my surgery, been on the liquid diet for roughly 10 days so far, and can't wait to get it over with so I can start the healing process. Not sure if this is the right place or not but I was looking for tips and advice about what I should expect afterwards. I have been through many training classes and they are all fine, just looking for info from those that have been there and how it worked out for them, thanks!

Partlypollyanna
on 5/11/23 5:46 pm
RNY on 02/14/18

It's probably easier to get good responses if you ask specific questions because not sure what you're looking for -- what to expect after surgery? What to expect 6 months later?

For me the surgery was pretty easy, outside of the anesthesia (I never do well with anesthesia). I went home the next day, my sister stayed with me one day and went home. I was driving by the time she went home because all painkillers were out of my system. I was on a gatorade only diet plan for the first week so my first cup of coffee was heaven. It's important to move around and stay hydrated - you'll hear a lot of people say walk, walk, walk, sip, sip, sip and that's a good plan for your recovery. You'll find that everyone's program has a different pre and post op requirement (for example, I never had a liquid pre-op diet).

If your program didn't have a good amount of therapy and behavioral change management, definitely look into that now -- you'll need it eventually!

Good luck with your upcoming procedure and congratulations on taking the first step!

HW: 306 SW: 282 GW: 145 (reached 2/6/19) CW:150

Jen

Livinit
on 5/11/23 8:50 pm
RNY on 05/17/23

Good to hear the surgery wasn't bad, I've had issues with anesthesia before also. I think the drinking a lot of small sips won't be much of an issue at first, but I'm not sure how long I'll be able to stay consistent since my work tends to get crazy and I sometimes go 5-6 hrs without drinking. I was told I can keep the same liquid diet on currently on, not sure how I would do on Gatorade only, so hopefully that's not the case. How much can you drink at once now that you're all healed up? Thanks for the info!

Partlypollyanna
on 5/12/23 4:09 am
RNY on 02/14/18

At a week out, I'm sure you already have your phases outlined, so if it doesn't say Gatorade only, you're good. Every program is different, I haven't heard of anyone outside of my program having that particular initial diet. I can drink normal amounts, once the swelling from the surgery goes down, water/tea/coffee have not been an issue for me. I would be very dehydrated if I went 5-6 hours without drinking, I usually get about 100 oz of liquid a day.

HW: 306 SW: 282 GW: 145 (reached 2/6/19) CW:150

Jen

Livinit
on 5/12/23 5:55 am
RNY on 05/17/23

Good to know, thank you for the info!

Grim_Traveller
on 5/12/23 5:36 am
RNY on 08/21/12

I'm agreed with everything PP wrote above.

I was never worried about the surgery. Mine was very early in the morning, and I felt like crap the rest of that day. But it wasn't that bad. I went home the following day. I think I gained 9, maybe 11 pounds, in surgery? They pump you full of fluids, and you retain even more while healing. I think it took a week to shed tha****er.

You likely won't be able to do more than sip fluid at first. It's gradual, until you heal and the inflammation goes down. Just make sure you drink enough. It's important for both healing and weight loss. Most people that have early problems are because they aren't drinking enough. But after a while you can drink normally. I get in 3-4 liters a day.

RNY was the smartest thing I ever did. 11 years later I'm down 260 pounds from my highest weight, and my diabetes has disappeared. My only regret is not doing it sooner.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Livinit
on 5/12/23 5:58 am
RNY on 05/17/23

Thanks for the information, I have tried taking a water bottle around with me everywhere to be on top of the fluids intake, that seemed to help, but if I forget it anywhere it makes for a tough day. I'm thinking about getting the 24 packs of water and keeping them around my work offices so I always have one nearby.

hollykim
on 5/12/23 7:27 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On May 12, 2023 at 12:58 PM Pacific Time, Livinit wrote:

Thanks for the information, I have tried taking a water bottle around with me everywhere to be on top of the fluids intake, that seemed to help, but if I forget it anywhere it makes for a tough day. I'm thinking about getting the 24 packs of water and keeping them around my work offices so I always have one nearby.

you MUST get your fluids in. It is NOT negotiable. Dehydration is the number one problem for new post ops.

dehydration can lead to deSth snd st the very least, end you back up in the hospital getting fluids by IV.
Good luck on your surgery!

Grim_Traveller
on 5/12/23 8:31 am
RNY on 08/21/12

Hey Holly!

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

hollykim
on 5/12/23 4:34 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15

hey grim! I was happy to see you posting again a few weeks ago! How you doing?

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 50 replies · 514 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 473 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 425 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 428 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 344 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?