3LittleMonkeys’s Posts

3LittleMonkeys
on 6/7/18 5:59 am
Topic: RE: Anemic causes?

I am seeing the PCP this morning. I will let you know what the game plan is. I can't stand feeling this way. I work full time, I have three children (14.12 and 10) and my 12 year old has special needs with a major surgery coming up (MRI and Neurosurgeon is this afternoon for her game plan). This is not normal feeling for me.

More than ever, I say trust your instincts. My instincts said something was going wrong back in February when I first started feeling bad. Sigh...

3LittleMonkeys
on 6/6/18 4:24 pm
Topic: RE: Anemic causes?
Well, I haven't been feeling well these last couple of weeks. Yesterday at work, I passed out in one of my patient's rooms and landed in the ED (I work as an inpatient financial counselor at a large hospital). So, they ran labs and I am anemic. However, I was diagnosed as anemic back in March/April and told to take extra iron. Well, even with supplementing iron, my levels have significantly dropped. The ED Doc doesn't know why. So, I was told to follow up with my PCP. I have an appointment for tomorrow morning. The ED Doc says I should have an Endoscopy , most likely Iron Infusion (I am very close to needing a blood transfusion) to rule out an ulcer. They feel I am bleeding somehow and that is why my iron is so low. Anyone have this problem? My Hemoglobin, Red Blood Cells and Hemacrit have dropped since they were checked in March (feeling extremely awful then too, but much worse now). If its not an ulcer, what could it be? PS - RNY 12/18/14.

3LittleMonkeys
on 4/6/18 3:33 am
Topic: RE: Lab Result Questions

I am thirsty all the time. Unless, thirst is related to low iron.

3LittleMonkeys
on 4/5/18 2:27 pm

I faxed my records to the new Bariatric office. However, surgeon is out till next Wednesday, so I can't set up an appointment.

So, I decided to take the bull by the horns and email back the PCP (that said my labs are fine) and lay it out for him. With all my symptoms I am at least anemic, low on Vitamin D and possibly dehydrated. I told its affecting my work and my ability to drive.

I will let you know what he says. I requested at least IV iron and possibly fluids. 50,000 IU of VD would be great too. :-)

3LittleMonkeys
on 4/4/18 2:16 pm

Isn't there different types of iron? I know I was anemic 2/2016 and had Iron Infusion and came home on liquid iron (oh boy, that stuff is nasty! LOL).

3LittleMonkeys
on 4/4/18 2:15 pm

I take Vitron-C. I think its 65 mg.

3LittleMonkeys
on 4/4/18 2:12 pm

My exact thoughts. I am anemic. :(

3LittleMonkeys
on 4/4/18 2:10 pm, edited 4/4/18 7:11 am
3LittleMonkeys
on 4/4/18 1:12 pm, edited 4/4/18 6:15 am

Add shortness of breath, headaches and low pulse. My pulse was 60 at the PCP last Thursday.

3LittleMonkeys
on 4/4/18 1:11 pm

I just got a new PCP (whom I do not like and I am switching). I had RNY in another state in 2014, so currently not followed by a surgeon (I can make an appointment as soon as a new surgeon's office gets and reviews my surgery reports). However, I am feeling pretty bad right now and the PCP is saying my labs are fine. Um, I am not so sure.

Here are a few that stand out to me:

TSH Ultrasensitive - 1.35 mIU/L

Range .045-5.33 mIU/L

Iron Serum/Plasma - 51 ug/dL

Range - 45-160 ug/dL

Iron Saturation % - 12%

Range - 15-56%

Ferritin Serum/Plasma - 12 ng/mL

Range - 11-307 ng/mL

Vitamin D, 25-Hydroxy - 23 ng/mL

Range - 13-62 ng/mL

Copper Serum - 94 ug/dL

Range - 80-155 ug/dL

Zinc Serum - 82 ug/dL

Range - 60-120 ug/dL

Hemoglobin A1C - 5.5 % (I was previously Diabetic and on Metformin but taken off after surgery)

Range - 4 - 6.0%

Parathyroid Hormone - 51 pg/mL

Range - 12-88 pg/mL

I have several symptoms - light headed, weakness, very thirsty, exhausted, no stamina, lack of concentration and memory, canker sores. Off the top of my head. I feel like I am losing my mind.

:(

3LittleMonkeys
on 4/3/18 8:25 pm
Topic: RE: Iron/ Ferritin frustrations

We agree! I'm am miserable right now and my PCP is blowing me off. ?

3LittleMonkeys
on 3/23/16 3:14 am
Topic: RE: Feeding Tube Advice

Anyone have a feeding tube placed due not eating and malnutrition? What was involved and how long did it stay in?

First we are going to try meds oi increase my appetite.  If that doesn't work, he is talking about revising my Bypass.  I have no clue what that is involved/

3LittleMonkeys
on 10/10/15 4:08 pm
Topic: RE: Life after RNY - Pain Meds

No way would I want to do both at once. I will need my right knee replaced eventually. As my surgeon said, it feels and sounds crunchy. LOL

3LittleMonkeys
on 9/19/15 1:02 pm

Before I had my knee replacement, I kept asking what it is like and no one would really answer me.  Ha! Now I know why!  I always that a Total Hip Replacement was the worst joint replacement.  Um, no.  That is easy.  It is the knee replacement that hurts and is the hardest to recover from. 

3LittleMonkeys
on 9/19/15 10:27 am
On September 18, 2015 at 9:05 PM Pacific Time, ****rogirl, The PhD Version wrote:

There are a number of us who have found that pain meds don't have quite the same effect AND wear off more quickly than before RNY, but I was not able to find any medical/scientific study on the effect of RNY on opiate absorption.  I have run into several doctors who simply don't believe that it matters that much.

I found that taking Lortab liquid (Vicodin equivalent) worked much better than the Vicodin tablets, but when faced with requirements for something stronger (e.g., the hydrocodone after my TKRs), there either isn't a liquid equivalent OR the doctor isn't willing to prescribe it for some unknown/stupid reason.

When I had my knees replaced, both times the pain med schedule while in the hospital was every 4 hours (and the computer won't let them guge it to you even 15 minutes early!) but by the end of hour three I was in serious pain... and basically I just had to suffer.  When I got home, I would add a small additional amount of Tylenol or -- when it was really bad -- I would give in and take another dose at only 3.5 hours.

The RNY wouldn't affect the effectiveness of pain meds given by injection or IV, though. The only problem introduced by the RNY would be that we are not absorbing the full dose.

Some of us (and I am probably in this group myself) are more sensitive to pain or have a lower tolerance for it than others. Unfortunately, what I have found is that in the hospital post op or when in the ER with kidney stones, they are willing to give an additional amount of IV pain meds to make me reasonably comfortable but are not willing to deviate from the "standard" doses of oral pain meds once you are sent home.

Unfortunately, other than the Lortab and adding Tylenol (make sure you don't take more than 4000mg per day, though, including whatever is in the prescription meds!) I don't have any suggestions, but I do share your frustration. I just had an open surgery and practically has to beg to even GET pain meds beyond the first week, let alone get a dose that really helped.

Lora

I am glad to see, I am not the only one.  There has to be a reason this is not working as well.  If we have problems with absorption from vitamins, then it has to hold true for pain meds.

My Orthopedic Surgeon's office is running a new test on me to see what pain meds work for me and what won't.  There was an issue with the sample I gave them (mouth swab) and it had to be redone yesterday.  We are hoping to have an answer middle of next week.  However, as I was thinking about this later yesterday afternoon and the correlation between the pain meds and Gastric Bypass, it dawned on me that is what the problem is.  I am not immune to the meds, it is just the way my body is absorbing the meds or not absorbing.

3LittleMonkeys
on 9/19/15 10:20 am
On September 19, 2015 at 4:32 AM Pacific Time, selhard wrote:

I have such a high pain tolerance, I have been known to let medical problems go too long.  My recent bowel obstruction/hernia repair surgery had me avoiding pain meds altogether because they all listed constipation as a side effect...give me pain over that.  Here's the weird thing, though--yesterday, an aluminum cover seal on a four-ounce yogurt cut my finger like a knife.  The pain level bothers me as much as a surgery.  Consider yourself warned my Greek (yogurt) friends.  Ouch.

I thought I had high pain tolerance till I had my Total Knee Replacement and hand surgery.  Oh my gosh.  :-(  I was so wrong.  This was the most painful experience of my life.

3LittleMonkeys
on 9/18/15 6:15 pm

I am also a  pain wuss.

3LittleMonkeys
on 9/18/15 5:07 pm

I had Gastric Bypass 12/18/14. I have had several surgeries this summer.  They are Total Knee Replacement in June, Thumb CMC Arthroplasty with Tendon Transfer in July, yesterday Gallbladder surgery and on Wednesday I will be have the same hand surgery but on my right hand.

My question is about pain meds.  I am having a terrible time with pain meds. Most of them are not working for me. Could my Gastric Bypass be the cause? The meds either do not work or wear off very quickly.  I have tried, Norco, Tramadol, Tylenol 3, Percecet.  None of them have worked really well and I am getting worried with my hand surgery this coming week.  I had a nerve block in July for my left hand surgery and it didn't take.  They had to give me a local during the surgery and it wore off by 5pm.  I was in a world of hurt.

Today. I was thinking about pain meds and it dawned on me, my Gastric Bypass!  That is what could be causing all these pain meds not to work.  Am I thinking right? 

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 409 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 351 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 419 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 404 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 351 views