onetyger’s Posts

onetyger
on 11/21/20 7:55 am
Topic: RE: Gastroparesis years after RNY

Thank you for sharing your story! My GP is pretty much still the same as it had been. I'm still only on Phenergan and Prilosec, but that doesn't help. I try to eat a small soft meal a few times a day. I have had a few random good days lately, so maybe it's starting to ease up a bit. At least I hope so!

onetyger
on 8/2/20 10:37 am

I only wish I had flares, but mine has literally been every day for the last couple of years. It started out as just after eating, but now it's sometimes even a few hours after a meal. I sometimes even wake up from strong bouts of nausea. I had lost 50 pounds in about 4 months awhile back because I had no appetite and was only eating about once a day. But right now I also have chronic insomnia so I tend to eat several times during the day and night even though I get sick. I think I finally decided to start back eating since I was getting sick whether I ate or not. Hopefully you'll find something that works for you as well. I have my GI appointment on the 12th and will try to update then.

onetyger
on 7/27/20 9:11 pm

I had RNY about 11 years ago and lost 160 pounds with no complications. After a couple of years, I went through 5 pregnancies. Two full-term and three missed miscarriages that resulted in D&C's. Eventually, even with watching my diet and portions, I gained pretty much all of my weight back, mostly due to depression and an alcohol addiction that lasted a couple of years.

For the last two years, I've had chronic nausea and vomiting almost every time I eat, no matter how much or what it is. After losing 50 pounds in 3-4 months, I finally told my doctor shortly after recovering from pneumonia. I was given an abdominal CT scan that showed some liver damage and portal hypertension. I was also referred to a gastroenterologist.

The gastroenterologist tried many tests including a colonoscopy and endoscopy, and a gallbladder function test. A cardiologist even suspected pulmonary hypertension and I had an echocardiogram and nuclear stress test (both were normal). As a last resort, the GI doctor did a gastric emptying test but he was sure that wouldn't be the problem since I'd had gastric bypass. I got my results today, and low and behold it was abnormal and showed a significant delay. So, I don't see the doctor again for a couple of weeks but I know the diagnosis is gastroparesis.

Has anyone ever developed this after RNY and how was yours treated? I'm already on an acid reducer and phenergan three times a day but neither helps at all and so far, they wouldn't give me anything stronger. I know one treatment is a gastric pacemaker but I'm not sure how well that works after RNY. I've also read that Raglan can sometimes help but I tend to not respond well to many medications.

Just curious as to what types of treatment other RNY patients have had and whether it resolved the symptoms or not.

onetyger
on 3/19/10 5:35 am
Topic: RE: How much should I be eating at 2 yrs out?
I'm averaging around 80-90g Protein and I drink 8-9 cups of water. I do exercise 2-4 times a week but not as regular as I should be. I could have increased my daily calorie intake by as much as 100 calories a day over the past two months, but not enough for a 20 pound gain. I know it may be a medical problem and it's wrong to hope for that, but having been morbidly obese all my life I guess it's natural to assume the dr wouldn't find anything and would say that it's just my eating habits. I've worked too hard to gain this much this fast.
onetyger
on 3/19/10 5:24 am
Topic: RE: How much should I be eating at 2 yrs out?
I'm curious as to how many calories or what portion size I should be able to eat at 2 years post op. I'll be 2 years on April 15th. I've gained 20 pounds in the last 2 months but never gained at all prior to that. I'm thinking there may be something medical going on since I don't think I overeat. I also don't do sugars, sodas, etc. I just want to compare to what others who are 2 years out are doing. I've been keeping a food diary and my average appears to be about 1600-1800 calories. Is that too much? What are others who are around the time length out doing?
Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 562 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 335 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 453 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 368 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 335 views