cabin111’s Posts

cabin111
on 6/26/09 2:05 pm
Topic: RE: RNY patient on "Doctors"
General rule of thumb I have seen over the years...Men and younger women tend to lose the fastest.  Men have a larger muscle structure so they can move better, thus the faster weightloss.  Take the same woman at age 30 vs 50 at the same weight.  At thirty she can move better, has a stronger heart, has more muscles and hasn't been weighed down from years of obesity.  Just my thoughts.
cabin111
on 6/26/09 12:32 pm
Topic: RE: My stomach doesn't growl when hungry does yours?
Never had hunger pains post WLS.  What I do get is that "not full feeling".  We would (and still do) use that for a comfort blanket.  I struggle with that one a lot.  Glad there isn't the hunger pains...I try a lot of vegetables and water to keep the pouch full for that comfort level.  Brian
cabin111
on 6/26/09 9:20 am
Topic: RE: What are the Foamies...and how do I get relief??
Here is a cut and paste from the same question awhile back.

I have read here online about the "foamies".  I have had them a time or two after eating and wanted to know what exactly are the foamies.  Thanks!

RNY on March 19, 2008

290.8 / 243.8 / 204.8 / 150
consult / surgery / current / goal

Check out my vlog:
http://www.youtube.com/maddsmarie

Reply to This Post Quote Post Report Post Contact Friend Block

onemeanmom
Modesto, CA
Patrick Coates, M.D. RNY (04/01/08) Member Since: 03/16/08
[Latest Posts]

Whew! Sweetie, I had it once and I pray to never have it again! I know I ate too fast and too much. I was just hoping that the food would come up but it didn't just that foamie crap. EEEWWW!! Hated it. I am curious too about what it is and why and how to keep it away!!  Thanks for asking! I'll be checking here for answers.  Take care and good luck on your journey.

Back to the top Reply to This Post Quote Post Report Post Contact Friend Block

helpmelord
Douglas Olsen, M.D. RNY (05/28/08) Member Since: 04/01/08
[Latest Posts]

In response to the foamies... I'm having my rny on the 28th of may. I read in my pre&post op booklet that it us muccus that the stomach puts out and one way to decrease that was to drink ho****er 30 min before eating. Said that would make those secretions much less. Have not been there yet but that's something to the effect of what I remember reading.

quiltz
Phoenix, AZ
Robin P. Blackstone, MD FACS RNY (07/19/07) Member Since: 12/06/06
[Latest Posts]

Our pouches no longer are capable of producing hydrochloric acid.  The body is a fantastic self-preserver giving half a chance.  When we get into problems overfilling our pouches by eating too fast or taking bites that are too small, the body begins to produce large quantities of mucus to help things along.  You will probably read on OH about people getting runny noses when they are getting full.  I believe this is that moment before going into full blown foamies.  The best treatment is prevention, but I have also found taking papaya enzyme (over the counter, cheap, chewable) keeps the foamies away by causing the food in the pouch to begin breaking down.  Personally, I carry it with me all the time.

sueannel123
Van Wagner, M.D. Member Since: 02/20/08
[Latest Posts]

When do you take this?

missy-h
IN
RNY (08/29/07) Member Since: 08/03/07
[Latest Posts]

THEY ARE EVIL!!!!  Just plain evil.....for me, they are brought on by particular foods, regardless of how well I chew them.  The primary food that brings the foamies on for me is pork.....I avoid it like the plague. They can be brought on by eating too fast, not chewing food well enough and probably many other ways I have luckily not experienced.  It hits quickly, at least for me it does, it is an overwhelming nausea, stomach churning feeling.....it feels like I am going to throw up, but I don't.  The most that comes up is mucous foam with bits of food mixed in.  Not what I consider really throwing up.....you have the feeling that if you could really could get sick, you would feel better. I had a mild case of the foamies this past week....I wasn't eating a thing...drinking a protein shake......but obviously I was sipping to much, too fast. They are not pleasant, but they tend to help you follow rules and point out foods that are just not tolerable in different stages.  Remember that just because something brought on the foamies in month 3, may not do it in month 6....so don't completely count the food culprit out.......I know your probably saying,,,,,,but she wrote that she avoids pork like the plague.....I did write it and I do.....I have tried in every allowable stage, and it just simply does not get along with my stomach, so I have wrote it off. Sorry so long....but I hope this helps. Missy

Height:  5'2"  Pre-op weight:  297.4

onemeanmom
Modesto, CA
Patrick Coates, M.D. RNY (04/01/08) Member Since: 03/16/08
[Latest Posts]

thanks Missie, your info did help. I want to avoid this thing at all cost after having had it only once. Once is enough!!!

cabin111
on 6/26/09 8:44 am
Topic: RE: What are the Foamies...and how do I get relief??
Thought we could get a thread on this issue for the pre ops and new post ops out there.  I worked graveyard last night, so I'm not too sharp.  Was wondering if some of you could explain the Foamies...when they occur...why they occur and how to prevent them.  It has been years since I had them.  I remember some of it was by eating too fast and eating the wrong food.  I remember standing in front of the bathroom sink and spitting for like an hour...almost trying to throw up, but just foam would come up.  Thoughts?  Lets help those who are about to come down this road.  Brian
cabin111
on 6/24/09 2:13 pm
Topic: RE: My downfall...Tortilla chips...late at night!!
So I don't crave them during the day...Yeah, a few would be nice but I can take them or leave them.  But come late in the evening I really crave things like Tostitos.  Just wondering if it's the fat, or the crunch, or the salt?  Thoughts??  Brian  PS  Yeah yeah I know about the carbs.  And yes, I have tried things like Wheat Thins and Triscuits...Just not the same.
cabin111
on 6/21/09 12:51 pm
Topic: RE: Why I can't keep food...even liquids down...Stricture
Sorry...This is just a guess.  3 weeks to 6 months are the most common times it would pop up.  By 6 months the healing has taken place and the pouch has expanded, so it is usually not an issue.  Again...just guessing.  I would say the most common times when it first would be seen would be 3-6 weeks out. 
cabin111
on 6/21/09 11:27 am
Topic: RE: Why I can't keep food...even liquids down...Stricture

Every few months (or weeks) we get new post op people here who face stricture issues.  This is repeat info.  But, if it can help a few newbes with the issue, then let it be.  Others of you who have had strictures may want to chime in.  Brian

What is a stricture?  This question comes up weekly, if not daily on OH.  Below is a copy and paste from Wikipedia.  If you are a few weeks out post op from RNY and have problems keeping well chewed food (even water) down, you might have a stricture.  Very common and very treatable.  Also do not freak out if you have to go back a second or third time to get treated for one.  The Gastroenterologist will go just below the pouch and air up the "balloon" .  It is an outpatient procedure and you will be sedated.  

As the anastomosis heals, it forms scar tissue, which naturally tends to shrink ("contract") over time, making the opening smaller. This is called a "stricture". Usually, the passage of food through an anastomosis will keep it stretched open, but if the inflammation and healing process outpaces the stretching process, scarring may make the opening so small that even liquids can no longer pass through it. The solution is a procedure called gastroendoscopy, and stretching of the connection by inflating a balloon inside it. Sometimes this manipulation may have to be performed more than once to achieve lasting correction.

cabin111
on 6/21/09 8:34 am
Topic: RE: SUGGESTIONS ON HOW TO UP MY PROTEIN
Didn't know if you wanted ideas on breakfast...Below is a copy and paste from a few weeks ago concerning breakfast...
Breakfast is the one area we need to rethink the most.  You need to get your mindset thinking of protein and basics rather than the traditional breakfast...  Yeh, call me a nut, but here are some of the things I will have for breakfast; Day old Wendy's Chili (with cheese), different nuts (plain) almonds, walnuts, sunflower & pumpkin seeds, roasted soy nuts, dry roasted peanuts or peanut butter, beef jerkey, crock pot stew...beef and vegetables, fish dinner, yogurt, milk (or protein shake), tuna salad, cooked spinach (or spinach leafs...or put spinach leafs in your omelet), lunchen meat wrapped in string cheese and a dark green lettece leaf.  Yeh, boring stuff...but everything is mostly low carb, low fat and high protein. 
Brian  PS  I would put some cottage cheese next to the bed on my nightstand.  When I went to pee in the middle of the night I would get in 2-3oz of the cottage cheese.
cabin111
on 6/20/09 3:28 pm
Topic: RE: Need A High Protein Breakfast Idea? Omg..
Didn't know if you wanted ideas on breakfast...Below is a copy and paste from a few weeks ago concerning breakfast...
Breakfast is the one area we need to rethink the most.  You need to get your mindset thinking of protein and basics rather than the traditional breakfast...  Yeh, call me a nut, but here are some of the things I will have for breakfast; Day old Wendy's Chili (with cheese), different nuts (plain) almonds, walnuts, sunflower & pumpkin seeds, roasted soy nuts, dry roasted peanuts or peanut butter, beef jerkey, crock pot stew...beef and vegetables, fish dinner, yogurt, milk (or protein shake), tuna salad, cooked spinach (or spinach leafs...or put spinach leafs in your omelet), lunchen meat wrapped in string cheese and a dark green lettece leaf.  Yeh, boring stuff...but everything is mostly low carb, low fat and high protein. 
cabin111
on 6/20/09 10:51 am
Topic: RE: Ron Lester is BACK!!!!!

Hi Ron...Glad you are well.  Weren't you going by a different profile name before?  I wanted to see some of your old posts.  I remember there was big time conflict when you were here before.  Why have you changed profiles?  Could you send a link to your old profile so we can see what some of your old posts were about?  Thanks, Brian

cabin111
on 6/19/09 12:26 pm
Topic: RE: Questions for Seminar for Surgeon
Here are a few...What causes the foamies?  What does it feel like to throw up post RNY?  When should I get a bone density scan?  What are the signs of a stricture?  What are the signs of dehydation?  Which meats are hard to digest?  Do you cut the nerve that can send hunger waves to the brain?  If I don't lose the weight necessary (pre surgery) will you not operate?  Hope these help...Hope I'm not giving you more questions than answers...But I made you think.  Brian
cabin111
on 6/18/09 6:55 am
Topic: RE: Is this ok?
Below is a copy and paste I wrote a few weeks ago...Brian

For those of you new to WLS I thought we could get a thread going what what post op guys are eating for breakfast.  Breakfast is the one area we need to rethink the most.  You need to get your mindset thinking of protein and basics rather than the traditional breakfast...  Yeh, call me a nut, but here are some of the things I will have for breakfast; Day old Wendy's Chili (with cheese), different nuts (plain) almonds, walnuts, sunflower & pumpkin seeds, roasted soy nuts, dry roasted peanuts or peanut butter, beef jerkey, crock pot stew...beef and vegetables, fish dinner, yogurt, milk (or protein shake), tuna salad, cooked spinach (or spinach leafs...or put spinach leafs in your omelet), lunchen meat wrapped in string cheese and a dark green lettece leaf.  Yeh, boring stuff...but everything is mostly low carb, low fat and high protein. 
cabin111
on 6/16/09 10:02 am
Topic: RE: x-Post Ketosis?
Also off the internet...
Question: What is Ketosis? Answer: A lot of people are confused by the term "ketosis." You may read that it is a "dangerous state" for the body, and it does sound abnormal to be "in ketosis." But ketosis merely means that our bodies are using fat for energy. Ketones (also called ketone bodies) are molecules generated during fat metabolism, whether from the fat in the guacamole you just ate or fat you were carrying around your middle. When our bodies are breaking down fat for energy, most of the it gets converted more or less directly to ATP. (Remember high school biology? This is the "energy molecule.") But ketones are also produced as part of the process.

When people eat less carbohydrate, their bodies turn to fat for energy, so it makes sense that more ketones are generated. Some of those ketones (acetoacetate and ß-hydroxybutyrate) are used for energy; the heart muscle and kidneys, for example, prefer ketones to glucose. Most cells, including the brain cells, are able to use ketones for at least part of their energy. But there is one type of ketone molecule, called acetone, that cannot be used and is excreted as waste, mostly in the urine and breath (sometimes causing a distinct breath odor).

If enough acetone is in our urine, it can be detected using a dipstick commonly called by the brand name Ketostix (though there are other brands, as well). Even though everyone is generating ketones continuously, this detection in the urine is what is commonly called "ketosis."

cabin111
on 6/16/09 9:50 am
Topic: RE: x-Post Ketosis?
During rapid weightloss and with the dropping of carbs most people will go into ketosis.  The two most common ways to tell if you are in ketosis...really bad breath and strong dark yellow (and smelly) urine.  Your fat cells have to release their fat and hormones stored in them.  There are only a few places they can go...The mouth and the bladder.  It is important to drink a lot of water to help flush out much of these byproducts (also to guard against dehydration).  As you begin to stabilize in weight, these issues should go away.  Brian 
cabin111
on 6/15/09 10:27 am
Topic: RE: Can't Eat
You may have a stricture...get it checked out.  10% of RNY patients get them.  Very treatable...You'll feel better after the "scope" if that is what it is.
cabin111
on 6/4/09 2:09 pm
Topic: RE: No Money For Food!
Peanutbutter is one.  Also you live in almond and walnut country...If you can find someone who has a tree (trees) they may be able to help...gleaning from them.  Also alot of fruit in your area.  Is there a 99 cent store in your city...good buys there too.  Brian
cabin111
on 6/4/09 9:14 am
Topic: RE: Breakfast Ideas
Breakfast is the one area we need to rethink the most.  You need to get your mindset thinking of protein and basics rather than the traditional breakfast...  Yeh, call me a nut, but here are some of the things I will have for breakfast; Day old Wendy's Chili (with cheese), different nuts (plain) almonds, walnuts, sunflower & pumpkin seeds, roasted soy nuts, dry roasted peanuts or peanut butter, beef jerkey, crock pot stew...beef and vegetables, fish dinner, yogurt, milk (or protein shake), tuna salad, cooked spinach (or spinach leafs...or put spinach leafs in your omelet), lunchen meat wrapped in string cheese and a dark green lettece leaf.  Yeh, boring stuff...but everything is mostly low carb, low fat and high protein.  Good luck, Brian 
cabin111
on 5/28/09 2:35 pm
Topic: RE: Who is healthier? DS or RNY?
When I hit my goal weight of 190 (and went below) I looked like I had come from a concentration camp.  I started adding carbs and junk (thinking I would be one of those people that went down to skin and bones)...Big mistake.  I should have just uped the carbs a little and I would have been fine.  If you do even slight amounts of toning to your body you will look fine.  Don't work the muscle groups in anyway, you'll look bad.  Brian
cabin111
on 5/26/09 2:48 pm
Topic: RE: Poll: What food does YOUR pouch not tolerate?
Soft serve ice cream...Creamed soups...Most pork products.  Just a PS for those of you a few months out...What you could not eat now, you may find in a month or two, you may be able to handle.
cabin111
on 5/25/09 8:01 am
Topic: RE: Increase Calories without Carbs Suggestion!
Almonds are a "good" fat...good for the heart.  Check with your nut.
cabin111
on 5/25/09 5:58 am
Topic: RE: Increase Calories without Carbs Suggestion!
Just a thought...Plain almonds, walnuts, sunflower and pumpkin seeds, beef jerkey, dry roasted peanuts, yogurt...vegetables (not a lot of lettece, fruits.  Good luck, Brian
cabin111
on 5/23/09 2:55 pm
Topic: RE: What protine bars do you recommend?
Rockin Roll Bars...I can only eat a small amount at a time (1/5-1/8).  Good stuff...Peanuts, soy protein isolate, whey protein isolate, eggs (albumen), ect...
cabin111
on 5/21/09 4:48 am
Topic: RE: Dizzy ......when I standing up?
Sorry...concerning salt you may want to go the other way.  Don't want to confuse you, but since you are sip sip sipping away you may be peeing out alot of sodium.  I think you might want to add a small amount of salt to your diet.  Don't go hog wild, but a small amount.  Also you might want to add somethings high in potassium...they couldn't hurt.  Things like; oranges, tomatoes, raisins, spinach, lima beans (Wendy's Chili). bananas, yogurt, and broccoli may help...From the old sodium-potassium exchange from college biology class.  Brian
cabin111
on 5/20/09 2:29 pm
Topic: RE: Does it ever get better?
Was cold for about a year post op.  It got better for a year (as I gained some weight), then I lost more weight and got cold again.  I remember working as a security guard on a day when it was 102 in the shade...I was cold!!  Since you are a member of the British Commonwealth you might want to look to warmer areas...Brian  PS  What I asked for now on birthdays, anniversaries, and on Christmas is WARM CLOTHES!!  Things like warm socks (don't go cheap...$12+ a pair...the warmest you can find) and thermal underwear (tops and bottoms).  Forget sexy and fashion for awhile...go with warm... 
cabin111
on 5/10/09 2:02 pm
Topic: RE: The Men's Forum here at OH...
Hey Guys (men)...Just a reminder we have a Men's Forum here at OH.  It is a great group of guys and very supportive.  Check us out and bookmark it if you like what you see.  Brian                   http://obesityhelp.com/forums/men/
Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 366 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 284 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 462 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 378 views
Recent Topics
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 34 replies · 284 views