amyamybobamy’s Posts

amyamybobamy
on 12/26/18 7:38 am
Topic: RE: Starting All Over Again: RNY + TORE-G Revision

How are they treating the ulcer, and the esophagus problem (other than stretching, and OMG how did they do that?)

amyamybobamy
on 12/25/18 3:22 pm

Essentially yes, TORE+G's objective is to reduce the stoma and, by extension, the pouch, when RNYers have lost some restriction.

HOWEVER: The fundamental procedure is an extensive endocopy to visualize the esophagus, pouch, stoma, jejeunum, blind pouch, etc. Entirely trans-oral and performed under either mild sedation or plain old anesthesia, and literally bloodless.

I went to the doctor to see what could be done about sudden, significant weight gain, but there were (of course) other issues: night reflux, and waxy stool. I was already in need of an age-appropriate colonoscopy, so the doctor suggested that he perform an upper endoscopy to check for esophagal erosion, pouch issues, etc etc. while I was already prepped and "under."

When the doc was checking, he found that the anatomy was all healthy, but the pouch had enlarged somewhat, and the stoma increased to 2cm+, which correlates with weight gain, so he performed the agreed-upon stoma reduction.

I was ALSO told that excess-weight-loss with this revision is NOT very much -- in my case probably 15-20 pounds loss in the end.

amyamybobamy
on 12/24/18 3:15 pm

Hi Folks!

Eleven years ago I underwent RNY surgery, which brought me from 315 to 175, followed by lower-body lift surgery. These experiences altered the course of my whole life - for the better!

About two years, I began to gain weight, about two pounds a month, and was ravenously hungry. I had some restriction, but not nearly as much a previously, and had lost the mixed blessing of "dumping" which I really needed to help me restrict sugar and carbs. I wound up at 225 lbs!

My husband nagged and nagged me to get a follow-up endoscopy and colonoscopy. The physicians at UCLA suggested that if cir****tances were appropriate, they could do a TORE-G revision -- and I went for it. During endoscopy they found that the surgery had "held" and the pouch was only slightly enlarged, but the stoma had increased significantly. *sigh*

THAT was one week ago -- and I am down eight pounds and EXHAUSTED. I can tell you all that buyer's remorse is a THING LOL. I had it eleven years ago, an I had it last week, too. But I am already feeling better, though not fully recovered. I'll post my questions here, or answer yours if you like.

amyamybobamy
on 12/24/18 2:59 pm
Topic: RE: If you can spare the judgemeno then please help me out

Ruth, first of all -- congratulations on having gone through this decision to make your life better!

Second, as someone else has already mentioned, this kind of day-after regret is not only NORMAL, for weight loss surgery, it is actually TYPICAL. The term is "buyer's remorse," because no matter how prepared we think we are, no one ever anticipates correctly exactly what will happen.

Take one breath at a time. Have a drink of water, and ask as many questions as you need to.

EVERY PERSON WHO HAS THIS SURGERY HAS A MILLION NORMAL QUesTIONS LIKE YOURS!

amyamybobamy
on 7/27/15 10:00 pm
Topic: RE: Followup Regarding Pale Fatty Runny Poop Post

Keeping it real here, folks. 

I last posted that post-RNY eight years ago, I have been fine until suffering with pale, greasy, runny poop for going on two weeks.

Internist says it is probably foul bacterial overgrowth, probably "housed" in the remnant blind stomach left behind. Or possibly bacillus cereus, from eating leftover rice (by the way, don't do that, apparently most food poisoning around the world comes from leftover or reheated grains and beans). Or giardia from camping, though the doctor assures me I cannot get it from kissing my husband, as he knows quite well i would never, ever go camping. So probably not giardia.

Anyway, his first treatment for me is both Cipro and Flagyl. If I'm not better in two weeks, I go to see a gastroenterologist. 

So Note: Yes, the blind pouch can house demons. Or you could eat warm rice and be sick for weeks. Hard to tell. But in the end, there are always antibiotics. 

amyamybobamy
on 7/27/15 8:17 am
Topic: RE: 8 Years Out, Whitish Grey Pasty Diarrhea

No gall bladder for more than twenty years. I'll call the doctor add son add the office opens. Thank you for responding! 

amyamybobamy
on 7/27/15 8:14 am

Thank you for responding. Nope, no gall bladder for nearly twenty years. 

amyamybobamy
on 7/27/15 8:13 am

Misty, thank you for the feedback. BRAT diet has soothed things somewhat, and I'm calling the doctors' office the moment they open. 

amyamybobamy
on 7/26/15 11:26 pm

I'm calling the doctor tomorrow. Please no flaming as I am already humiliated and miserable. 

RNY in 2007, got to goal, slow moderate regain, Labs always been pretty good or easily remedied.

Two weeks ago, sudden bout of watery diarrhea, and I keep thinking it has gone away, but now have pale, pasty to watery diarrhea.  No nausea, otherwise feel okay. 

Obviously not a common post RNY thing, but anyone have a clue?  Helpful responses will help me sleep until I can call doc in the morning. 

Most Active
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 50 replies · 514 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 472 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 49 replies · 424 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 46 replies · 427 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 40 replies · 247 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?