AnneGG’s Posts

AnneGG
on 8/25/11 12:28 am
Topic: RE: Random Poll o' the Week: The Plague...
Interesting (not to get all existential and broody myself), I find I'm embracing more than avoiding now. I like living so much better, no matter what I'm feeling like. Even when I'm down or frustrated or upset, it's good and interesting to be alive.

So what am I avoiding like the plague- my own negative thinking. Just ain't gonna go there as much as I humanly can. Binging- avoiding that. Avoiding exercise- avoiding that. Avoiding carbs and fats and ice cream. Avoiding slippery slopes. Avoiding self bashing and put-downs. Etc., etc., etc.

"What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the master calls the butterfly." Richard Bach

"Support fosters your growth. If you are getting enough of the right support, you will experience a major transformation in yourself. You will discover a sense of empowerment and peace you have never before experienced. You will come to believe you can overcome your challenges and find some joy in this world." Katie Jay

AnneGG
on 8/24/11 11:53 pm
Topic: RE: Ramblings: The fight
Thank you for this post, Nik. You are so very accurate in describing the fight that will go on the rest of our lives. The initial weight loss is a blessing, but the rest sure ain't easy, and takes getting back up and getting back up and getting back up and getting back up. Thank you for the gift that you are to this board.

"What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the master calls the butterfly." Richard Bach

"Support fosters your growth. If you are getting enough of the right support, you will experience a major transformation in yourself. You will discover a sense of empowerment and peace you have never before experienced. You will come to believe you can overcome your challenges and find some joy in this world." Katie Jay

AnneGG
on 8/24/11 11:41 pm
Topic: RE: I DID decide to go out and face my anxiety.. (pic included)
You look so beautiful!!! Not too skinny at all!

AnneGG
on 8/24/11 4:36 pm
Topic: RE: Ongoing clothes shopping fun
You go, girlfriend! I'm with you! They're putting in a Nordstrom Rack near where I live and i'm so excited cause though I love Nordstrom's, my pocketbook doesn't. Isn't it nice to be in smaller clothes??? Woot!

AnneGG
on 8/24/11 12:48 pm
Topic: RE: Everything has turned--honest opinions
You've got guts, lady- soon to have much less padding around them! I'm glad you're going for it!

AnneGG
on 8/24/11 12:26 pm
Topic: RE: NSV....Smiling like the cat that swallowed the canary..lol
Woo-hoo!!!

AnneGG
on 8/24/11 12:24 pm
Topic: RE: Stricture and ulcers
You stand up to that doctor of yours and let him know how you feel about how he's treating you, OK? Yes, you are in pain, and you have reason to be!

AnneGG
on 8/24/11 12:16 pm
Topic: RE: What a Craptastic Day..long
Hang tough! Of course you were upset! You're human! You already feel bad enough- no beating yourself up on top of it! Back on the horse tomorrow!

AnneGG
on 8/24/11 10:03 am
Topic: RE: What are your guidelines? Refuse to beat myself up
I'm a tracker and a daily weigher- I have to hold myself accountable, which, while it isn't easy to do, keeps my results out of the emotional. I'm either doing it or I'm not- simple as that. Plus I can use beating myself up to justify letting go- I feel so crappy I might as well give myself some comfort!

Keep up the awareness and the good work!

AnneGG
on 8/24/11 9:42 am
Topic: RE: Is their ANYONE here that did NOT lose any hair?
I think it was just luck and maybe genes that my hair didn't fall out. I didn't do anything special. A lot of people say it's an effect of anesthesia.

I shoot for 100 gms of protein and 80 oz of liquid a day.

AnneGG
on 8/24/11 8:49 am, edited 8/23/11 9:19 pm
Topic: RE: What is your relationship with the scale?
Me, I'm a scale person, but I try to keep the results in perspective and use them to keep me on track. I have a Withings wifi scale that communicates with my computer and my iPad and keeps a graph of my weights, my average, and my objective. It's very helpful to have that in front of me- that way I don't get so hung up on the day to day. You should see my weight graph over the months- it looks like a sawtooth with very irregular teeth! It's the average that counts!

AnneGG
on 8/24/11 8:40 am
Topic: RE: Questions to ask
I was in your same boat re: ins denying the sleeve, so I went for the RNY. No regrets on my part so far.

My post-op period was pretty rough- I don't think knowing before hand would have helped. This board and reading everything I could get my hands on helped. Weight Loss Surgery for Dummies is a very good book.

AnneGG
on 8/24/11 8:04 am
Topic: RE: Is their ANYONE here that did NOT lose any hair?
I've been lucky- no hair loss, at least so far.

AnneGG
on 8/24/11 6:50 am
Topic: RE: Why in the hot pajamas didn't I realize what true devil food is
LMAO, too!

I sure get the carb comas and I dump on ice cream. Several times. I'm one of those that have got to be hit upside the head several times before I learn, and even then I will sometimes play with the devil...

AnneGG
on 8/24/11 6:42 am
Topic: RE: SO DISSAPOINTED
What a disappointment for you! I empathize- on my way to surgery I had to have my gall bladder out, found out I had breast cancer and had to take the time for surgery and that treatment, and went into surgery for a lap-band, only to find out the dr. couldn't do it because I had such a huge hiatal hernia. Then I had to switch doctors, which I was very glad about because I liked my new dr. as a surgeon much better, but that took more time. All during that time- over a year- I worked at exercise and eating right so I had 30 pounds off by the time of my RNY.

So hang in, and keep your eyes on your goal! You'll get there no matter the disappointments along the way!

AnneGG
on 8/24/11 2:54 am
Topic: RE: Its my Surgiversary
Happy new you! Congratulations!

AnneGG
on 8/24/11 2:32 am, edited 8/24/11 2:37 am
Topic: RE: Having a hard time tolerating foods
Nothing's wrong- it's just the name of the game early out, figuring out what works and what doesn't. The only meal I could tolerate for 4 months was filet of sole and 3 shrimp. Very limited, but what worked. Now I miss those days- my hunger has returned.

So enjoy- the weight is coming off so easily!

AnneGG
on 8/24/11 2:29 am
Topic: RE: Goal reached
Way to go!!!! Enjoy the compliments!

AnneGG
on 8/24/11 2:27 am
Topic: RE: UNCLE !!! Dumping question
Dumping for me lasts 45 minutes to an hour. Maybe you have something else going on?

AnneGG
on 8/24/11 2:19 am
Topic: RE: Frustrated and afraid of the future
I sure wish my head would just shut up, too. I want an off switch!

I hit a wall at 6 months, too. Just keep doing what you've been doing, and you will break through. You're doing great!!!

AnneGG
on 8/24/11 2:13 am
Topic: RE: Everything has turned--honest opinions
I'm with what everyone else says- the high probability is that your surgery will go fine and that your recovery will be uneventful- it's not easy but your husband will surely be able to help more than adequately.

Your journey will be tough emotionally because of your own needs, now complicated by your husband's illness- I know you know that, and I feel so for you. So set up all the emotional support you can, physical support as needed. And you will be so much better off in the long term smaller and healthier.

Please keep us all posted, and I wish you courage and fortitude.

AnneGG
on 8/24/11 1:12 am, edited 8/24/11 2:50 am
Topic: RE: need massive encouragement, very nervous about after rny
I was scared silly and I shut my eyes and jumped. I spent the first 4 months afterwards so emotional and nauseated and determined. I said that it was a good thing I had the surgery because it gave me no choice about what I could do- I couldn't back out no matter what I felt like. So I used the time to just keep putting one foot in front of the other, stay outside my comfort zone and exercise and eat properly, and work at it as hard as I could.

Now- 1+ years out, I would do surgery again in a heartbeat- I couldn't have gotten where I am- 123 lbs, size 2-4 (I am one of the lucky ones) and healthier than I've ever been without it. Now I just have to maintain one day at a time...

Re: your fear- just walk through it. One step at a time!

AnneGG
on 8/23/11 10:15 pm
Topic: RE: Foods You Can Never Have Again Post Surg??
I was in a mood yesterday of "It"s not fair to have to eat like this! How can I do this the rest of my life?" So I had some ice cream, and it didn't taste very good. I'm grateful I didn't dump **** cream is the only thing that makes me dump)- I only ate a little, though.

Just because I can eat something doesn't mean I will. I get triggered so easily,
maybe it's because I haven't yet figured out what works for me to eat long term.

But I don't eat at all like I did pre-surgery. Sometimes that's hard. But I have to remember the cost-benefit ratio- I don't want to be what I was like pre-surgery.

AnneGG
on 8/23/11 9:47 pm, edited 8/23/11 9:47 pm
Topic: RE: Thoughts from my 4-year follow-up appt today
Lora, thanks for your honesty and sharing so honestly the reality that it ain't all ribbons and roses post-op. I'm more of a lurker than a poster, but I've been following the boards, and for me you have been such a help.

Good luck with the belly pain- hope it is solved and fixed soon.

AnneGG
on 8/22/11 8:33 am
Topic: RE: Binge Eating Disorder
Yup, count me in! I find 12-Step thinking the most helpful- one day, one moment at a time. And keep nothing I like to binge on in the house. I wish the urges would go away, and that they were easier to deal with. I feel your pain!

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
JuniperBerry · 60 replies · 733 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
JuniperBerry · 51 replies · 467 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
JuniperBerry · 50 replies · 518 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
JuniperBerry · 38 replies · 498 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
JuniperBerry · 32 replies · 153 views
What's on your Saturday menu?