AnneGG’s Posts

AnneGG
on 7/15/17 6:00 pm
Topic: RE: regretting this RNY so much

This too shall pass. I was nauseated my first four months, all I could get down were my "gag" protein shakes and fillet of sole or similar fish. I've lived to tell the tale 7 years later. Have patience, be gentle with yourself, and take it one day at a time.

"What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the master calls the butterfly." Richard Bach

"Support fosters your growth. If you are getting enough of the right support, you will experience a major transformation in yourself. You will discover a sense of empowerment and peace you have never before experienced. You will come to believe you can overcome your challenges and find some joy in this world." Katie Jay

AnneGG
on 7/15/17 5:47 pm
Topic: RE: 7 years today!!

Trust me, I had serious buyer's remorse. I wailed to my husband "I've broken my perfectly good body!" I bet when you are further along you are going to be so grateful. I truly would not be where I am now without my "broken body", OMG I am so grateful.

"What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the master calls the butterfly." Richard Bach

"Support fosters your growth. If you are getting enough of the right support, you will experience a major transformation in yourself. You will discover a sense of empowerment and peace you have never before experienced. You will come to believe you can overcome your challenges and find some joy in this world." Katie Jay

AnneGG
on 7/15/17 5:02 am, edited 7/17/17 9:58 am
Topic: RE: 7 years today!!

Cross post:

Hi, all,

It's been a long time since I've posted. Thank you OH and you all for providing essential support and for what I've learned here keeping me on track for so long!

7 years post RNY today! I've kept my weight stable at goal or a little under for 5½ years now.

My health has never been better. My premorbid conditions have resolved, the chronic ones have not progressed. Thank heavens I have had no post-op complications.

The cornerstone of what works for me is my at least 2½ mile daily speed walking meditation. I figure I've crossed the country coast to coast 2½ times by now. Plus I do as much as I can of other exercise.

I walk to manage my head as much if not more than for the exercise. At first I had to drag my head kicking and screaming out the door, now my day doesn't work without it and making it happen is just what I do and work the rest of my day around. I miss about 5 days a year when I just can't fit it in. I walk no matter what the weather is unless there is a blizzard or it is pouring, and then I do the dreadmill.

I weigh daily and keep myself within a 4 pound margin. I eat healthy and with a schedule, but I eat pretty much anything, protein first. The right amount is now habit but also dictated by my small tummy- I can't eat a single bite more than my signal or there is a price to pay. Binging is not an option. The exercise manages my cravings. I go by my blood work to determine needed vitamins. I keep myself active doing lots of things.

My self confidence is radically improved. I like having my attention over there outside myself as opposed to within me all tangled up with self consciousness.

Given how I was both head and body before surgery I'm simply amazed I have been able to do this! I couldn't have done it without my surgery. I acknowledge myself for doing what I have needed to do to continue maintaining the results.

Commitment, action, perseverance through time. Keep on keeping on no matter what!

Woot!!!!!

PS See profile for before and after photos!

AnneGG
on 3/30/17 4:32 pm, edited 3/30/17 9:36 am
Topic: RE: Husband doesn't want me to have surgery...

Please thank your husband for sharing, ask him about what he is scared about. It is your body. It's the best thing I ever did, now 6½ years out.

Excellent article to share with your husband: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/13/well/why-weight-loss-surg ery-works-when-diets-dont.html

If you do decide to go for it, make sure you get an excellent surgeon. Do your research.

AnneGG
on 12/12/15 6:34 am
Topic: RE: Maintenance question

13 years!!! Gives me hope at 5 1/2 years! I do the same as you and have stayed a few pounds below goal. My weight loss stopped when I hit rubber hits the road maintenance about 15 months later, and now I sure miss the honeymoon period!

AnneGG
on 12/12/15 6:19 am
Topic: RE: Hunger Returns

Everyone is individual. I had nausea for 4 months which definitely curbed my appetite. Hang in- it will get easier as you follow recommendations and figure out what works for you.

AnneGG
on 12/10/15 6:35 am
Topic: RE: 5 1/2 years out now, so grateful!

I'm now 5 1/2 years out a few pounds below goal. I'm astonished I have been able to do this, I'm astonished and grateful how different I am. I'm amazed I've been able to hang in there with the daily grunt work it has taken- most important a 2 1/2 sped walk daily no breaks, dreadmill only in a blizzard or downpour. Sometime, especially in the beginning, I had to and have to drag my head screaming out the door. That sets up my day- I work everything around it. It makes staying on track with my eating easier, which I'm good about for the most part, protein first and avoiding white processed carbs and food. I have nothing tempting in the house and only treat myself when I'm eating out. I'm religious about my vitamins and blood work. I weigh daily and make sure I stay within a 4lb range. I was scared silly before surgery, buyer's remorse after surgery, again scared silly when I hit maintenance. The payoff has been immeasurable. I'm so grateful for my surgery and what I've been able to learn about my ability to follow through. Who woulda thunk?

AnneGG
on 4/27/14 11:54 am
Topic: RE: Would I have been able to do this at 327 lbs? I don't think so...

Oh, I do celebrate you and your success and your talent and your creativity! Plus the puppies are very very cute.

AnneGG
on 4/27/14 11:44 am, edited 4/27/14 11:48 am
Topic: RE: How much does an RNY patient eat per meal at 4+ years out?

I just hear you asking a question, not being a food police. I also don't think there is much difference between a sleeve and an RNY around amounts to eat that work in maintenance. Regain happens easily with all the surgeries, and the managing part is similar for both RNY and sleeve.

I'm almost 4 years out, and I can't allow myself to eat very much in spite of lots of exercise, but maybe that's just me. I eyeball measure how much to eat and choose what makes sense to eat, because I could eat a lot more if I wanted to. The only thing that fills my tummy fast and full are dense proteins.

I think everyone has to figure out what works for them because we are all so different and there is no comparison.

I also don't think it works to predict doom for someone or celebrate failure.

AnneGG
on 4/26/14 10:18 pm, edited 4/26/14 10:21 pm
Topic: RE: Disappointed!

I only dump on ice cream, which is a good thing because that was my go-to substance before surgery. I also do carb coma big time, which isn't a good thing if I am away from home.

I also don't think dumping is a good way to control oneself- it is awfully hard on the body.

So, as poet_kelly says, you're going to have to learn ways to manage yourself rather than your cravings managing you. I do think we all need to experiment, though, to find out what works for us.

I'm a sugar addict, can't do moderation well, so I just try to not go there.

AnneGG
on 4/26/14 10:09 pm
Topic: RE: im almost a year and a half out been stuck for 5 months

So you're coming up against the great wonderland of maintenance that happens after the honeymoon period, the part where it isn't so much fun anymore, where the rubber hits the road and other than our small tummies, we're pretty much on our own again. I didn't have a terrific time with that transition phase at all- scared the bejeebers out of me that I wasn't going to be able to handle it and regain what I had lost. 

I think you are going to need to experiment to find out what works for you, because we are all different. I still go pretty much by the basics, and other than a small treat very occasionally, I avoid white carbs and sugar like the plague. I've learned to eat healthy, dense protein first, and still measure and log if I need to. I weigh daily to keep myself on track. I exercise by speed walking at least 2½ miles pretty much daily. I do my vitamins. I don't allow myself excuses, and I mean none. I'm pretty rigid with myself because I know me, and I don't do moderation well. And I'm far from perfect. I just try to pick myself up ASAP and keep learning.

I wi**** was easier, but it just isn't and won't be. I have gotten into a daily groove, which helps- I just do it now, one day at a time.

I wish for you determination and persistence!

AnneGG
on 4/26/14 6:19 pm
Topic: RE: Surgery rescheduled-not meeting my preop goals :(

So many terrific helpful posts here!

The only thing I would add is that we've all been or are where you are now.

I was scared out of my gourd I wouldn't be able to succeed. I hated exercise and I inhaled sweets and carbs and chips and ice cream. I was deeply addicted, and just the thought of giving up my substances of choice was enough to give me a panic attack.

I don't recognize myself anymore. Actually, now I have to work at it to remember how I was before my surgery.

I'm a vote for chipping away at a goal bit by bit one day at a time. This surgery and aftermath stuff takes a tremendous amount of changing how we do things, and it takes practice and more practice to learn how to do that.

But it is important to start now, because all we have is now.

You can do this!

AnneGG
on 12/25/13 9:06 pm
Topic: RE: Witty Comebacks...

Interesting- I've never had anyone say that to me, that I took the easy way out. I'm pretty open about sharing my WLS, because I think education is useful, and I'm proud of myself for taking control of my health. So I have had people being curious and asking lots of questions which I do my best to answer. I have had people ask me whether I have had any regrets. I just say it's probably added years to my life, to say nothing of quality. And I guess I'm lucky to have the support I have from the people who matter.

What's that saying- opinions are like that certain part of the anatomy- everyone's got one?

AnneGG
on 12/25/13 11:33 am
Topic: RE: Defined by WLS?

I hear that she was acknowledging you accurately, and no, WLS doesn't define the totality of who you are. It certainly doesn't define who I am though I will be forever grateful for the worlds my weight loss has opened for me. I just live my life now, and that is cool beans.

AnneGG
on 12/25/13 4:35 am
Topic: RE: Lonely

We're on the journey with you. You go have a good time at dinner, and know we've got your back!

AnneGG
on 12/25/13 2:26 am
Topic: RE: Very distraught... sad.

I just want to acknowledge your courage and strength in taking a stand with your son. I want to acknowledge everyone on here who is dealing with something similar for loving and honoring yourselves enough to do what you need to do no matter how difficult, no matter the time of year. You all are pretty damn special, and you should be very very proud of yourselves. I've had to draw my line a lot, so I know whereof I speak.

AnneGG
on 12/25/13 12:59 am
Topic: RE: Lonely

I haven't posted on this forum for a long time, but have read this thread. I love the support and sharing- for me that is what today is about wherever it comes from.

It's just my husband and me this year because we decided not to get involved with extended family- mine is bonkers and I'm just not going to go there. I have two family members I love dearly, but they are involved with their immediate families. I've also decided I'm not going the lonely route, though I have in the past. So it will be a peaceful day with us and our animals, and I'm going to fix the cellar door- hubby is hopeless with that kind of thing.

Thanks, all, for being out there- family of choice.

AnneGG
on 5/4/12 1:18 am
Topic: RE: I took 400 mg ibuprofen
Oh my goodness, I do support you in getting to a pain management clinic and trying some of the other options other than NSAIDS. Why add pain to what you already have?

My stepdaughter had surgery a couple of months ago putting wires in her spine that she controls with a little unit, and it has been very successful for her.

AnneGG
on 3/4/12 9:47 pm
Topic: RE: Another whiny rant... am I the only person to fail RNY... ever?????
I think you need to up your exercise intensity and duration- that will help a lot.

AnneGG
on 3/4/12 9:43 pm
Topic: RE: Prilosec Post Op Cause Hypomagnesemia?
For me it's a tradeoff. I had severe GERD pre-surgery and have Barrett's Esophagus, so I have to take Prilosec. But I also take both magnesium oxide and magnesium citrate as daily supplements, so I hope I will be OK. So far my labs are great.

AnneGG
on 3/4/12 9:38 pm
Topic: RE: "you've really kept the weight off"
Definitely sounds like a compliment to me- at least that's how I would take it.

You deserve it! Kudos!

AnneGG
on 3/4/12 1:06 pm
Topic: RE: Why did you choose RNY over any other WLS surgery option?
Just wanted to respond to you about saying you are weak as a reason for choosing the RNY. 

No WLS is going to do the work for you. It is good for getting the weight off in the first place, but even that part will take hard work. Most people do not dump. And once you are past the honeymoon period, other than only being able to eat small amounts at a time, you are on your own with diet and exercise being required.

My suggestion is to start working on new behaviors now- you are going to need them.

AnneGG
on 3/4/12 12:53 pm
Topic: RE: Why did you choose RNY over any other WLS surgery option?
I originally wanted the lapband but had a huge hiatal hernia and severe GERD as well as Barrett's Esophogas. Then I wanted the sleeve, but insurance wouldn't pay for it. I knew I didn't want a DS because I was a lightweight.

So I ended up with my RNY, which I am very grateful for. No more GERD, and my Barrett's is not progressing.

The downside for me is no NSAIDS for my arthritis.

AnneGG
on 3/4/12 12:37 pm
Topic: RE: I want junk food!
Another thing you can do is thank your head for sharing, and go get yourself busy doing something else.

AnneGG
on 3/4/12 12:34 pm
Topic: RE: Rum and other liquors...
Alcohol is absorbed differently post-RNY. It hits me faster and stops having an effect faster.

My suggestion would be to be cautious about alcohol use, especially early out from surgery. And don't use diet soda as a mixer- we aren't supposed to be drinking soda.

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
JuniperBerry · 60 replies · 732 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
JuniperBerry · 50 replies · 455 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
JuniperBerry · 50 replies · 518 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
JuniperBerry · 38 replies · 495 views
What's on your Saturday menu?
catwoman7 · 22 replies · 316 views
Tracking daily intake