AnneGG’s Posts

AnneGG
on 8/13/11 2:01 am
AnneGG
on 8/13/11 1:40 am, edited 8/13/11 1:40 am
Topic: RE: Poll ? are you honest with your doctor?
If I'm not honest with my doctor I'm only hurting myself. So what fear? Isn't it my responsibility to be accountable for my own health and well-being? Why do the surgery in the first place if I'm going to sabotage? Sure it's hard- so what? A doctor can only go by what you tell him or her in addition to labs and scale results- why not ask for and work the coaching and the partnership? I don't have to like it or even agree with it. But self-sabotage- isn't that what I was actively doing before? Why not try a different, perhaps more workable relationship now? Perhaps it's not fear of judgement- it's fear of being held accountable.

"What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the master calls the butterfly." Richard Bach

"Support fosters your growth. If you are getting enough of the right support, you will experience a major transformation in yourself. You will discover a sense of empowerment and peace you have never before experienced. You will come to believe you can overcome your challenges and find some joy in this world." Katie Jay

AnneGG
on 8/11/11 11:13 pm
Topic: RE: I Think I'm In Love...
I went sea kayaking a couple of times in January in Antarctica, of all places! It was super. Climbing in and out of the kayak was so much easier thin!
AnneGG
on 8/11/11 10:41 pm
Topic: RE: running ( wow did I really just say that)
I'm with you! I never thought I would be able to run 1 mile, let alone 5! It does feel so good, even though my head is having a temper tantrum much of the time. I find if I do my exercise, the rest of it, like eating right, is so much easier. Who wudda thunk?
AnneGG
on 8/6/11 11:25 pm
Topic: RE: BA calcium chews or Calcet creamy bites?
See, now, I guess it's all personal preference- I don't like the Calcet because it's too sweet, but I like the BA chocolate chews. Haven't tried the caramel.

The "Buy 2 get one free" doesn't seem to be working online in the checkout, so I'll call tomorrow. Thanks, Kelly, for the heads-up!

"What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the master calls the butterfly." Richard Bach

"Support fosters your growth. If you are getting enough of the right support, you will experience a major transformation in yourself. You will discover a sense of empowerment and peace you have never before experienced. You will come to believe you can overcome your challenges and find some joy in this world." Katie Jay

AnneGG
on 8/6/11 7:29 am
Topic: RE: advice vs. permission
I work with my surgeon and his team as my coaches. Sometimes he says "Do it!" and I just do it because I know it works- he's always getting me to stretch outside of my comfort zone and I need and appreciate that. However, I question or object if something doesn't make sense to me. But he insists I keep my feet moving, and I allow that insistence and am grateful for it. I now run 5 miles a day because of his coaching, and that is in spite of my head having a temper tantrum every single day. Most of the time I can't listen to myself because I argue for my limitations. I have never been more healthy.

AnneGG
on 8/3/11 7:35 am, edited 8/3/11 7:36 am
Topic: RE: I want to buy a scale that is as accurate as the docs office--Any suggestions?
I have a Withings-Wifi Bodyscale, and I love it. I weigh myself and it sends the results to my computer and my iPad and plots the results on an ongoing graph. It's expensive- $159- but keeps me in line weight-wise. I do better with weight, exercise, and intake charted in an ongoing fashion.

AnneGG
on 7/1/10 10:02 pm
Topic: RE: Borderline case...?
I'm also borderline- I started with a BMI of 37 and am now down to 35, along with two comorbidities. My RNY is scheduled for July 15. I was originally scheduled for a lap band but my hiatal hernia is too big.

I have the same issues as someone with a higher BMI such as yo-yo dieting, and as I've gotten older, it is much harder getting the weight to come off. I'm also afraid of continuing to gain. And I will have the issue of keeping the weight off. But losing happens with the RNY, and I need the support. Mostly I'm voting for my long term health.

AnneGG
on 6/30/10 8:56 am
Topic: RE: Thought I was getting VSG....Turns Out I'm Not...RNY it Is
I had the same issue as you- wanted the sleeve but insurance won't cover it. So I have an RNY scheduled for 2 weeks from tomorrow.

I still think I would have done just fine with the sleeve, but not to be. I will make the RNY work.

AnneGG
on 6/30/10 12:45 am, edited 6/30/10 12:46 am
Topic: RE: TOMORROW - WALKING CHALLENGE BEGINS
I was about ready to say "No problem!" because I already power walk 2-3 miles a day, but then- oops! I have my RNY surgery July 15. That may knock me off course, but I'll do my best!

AnneGG
on 6/28/10 9:22 am
Topic: RE: NEWBIE ROLL CALL!
Anne
7/15/10
WLS support search

AnneGG
on 6/28/10 12:22 am
Topic: RE: GO-LYTLY
Yup, I've got to do it! Looking forward to it- not!!!

AnneGG
on 6/28/10 12:15 am
Topic: RE: Vitamins
Thanks from me, too!

AnneGG
on 6/27/10 7:26 am
Topic: RE: RNY on 7/15
Hi, Tia,
My surgery (RNY) will be the same date as yours! I'm sharing the same feelings, too, but mostly I'm looking forward. I'm doing lots of reading, including this board, and practicing remembering all what I'm going to need to do- vitamins, protein 90-100 mg/day (my surgeon's requirement), exercise, hydration, etc.

Good luck to both of us and any others who share the date!

AnneGG
on 6/18/10 10:00 pm
Topic: RE: Surgeon says symptom unusual - 7 mos out
I had the same sensations, and it turned out to be gallbladder attacks. I had my gallbladder out last fall with relief of the symptoms. Now I have similar sensations, but this time I think it's due to my hiatal hernia, which is scheduled for repair when I get an RNY July 15.

AnneGG
on 6/15/10 10:42 am
Topic: RE: Got My Surgery DATE!! 6/28
Good luck! It won't be long now! I'm jealous- I've got to wait until July 15!

AnneGG
on 6/10/10 9:20 pm
Topic: RE: Why did u decide RNY over lap band??
Originally I was going to have a band, but got into surgery two weeks ago to have my doctor discover my hiatal hernia was huge and had misshapen my stomach, making the band impossible. So he closed me up again- no band.

The sleeve was my next option, but though I was told it was covered by my insurance, I got denied.

RNY is my remaining option, and it scares me because the surgery is so major. I did a lot of research, and talked to my new surgeon for an hour yesterday. My new surgeon's RNY outcomes are among the top four bariatric centers in the country, so that reassured me. He doesn't like the band or the sleeve much in terms of long term results.

I know I need surgery to help me get this weight off. I've been working at it on my own for the last three months, and it has been excrutiatingly hard. I really want the support of surgery.

I think at this point I'm grateful the other two didn't work out because of what my doctor said about long term results. And I know I'm safe in his hands.

Also, I figure that my excess weight is riskier than complications from surgery.

AnneGG
on 6/10/10 7:55 am
Topic: RE: Feedback sought...
I'm having the RNY done July 15th!

Initially I was going to have a lap-band, but when I went into surgery for it two weeks ago they found a huge hiatal hernia that ruled out a lap-band because it has misshapen my stomach so much.

Insurance then turned down the request for approval for a sleeve, which left one option- the RNY. At first my reaction was one of big disappointment, and then, of course, I started researching. Then today I saw the doctor for an hour, and I feel like I have just emerged from a cram session on the pros and cons of the different types of weight loss surgery. By the end of it I was reassured about the RNY. I need to do something, and this is it, the option available to me. I was also reassured when he said his outcomes are in the top four of the nation! Not bad! He publishes them on the center's website.

I've already been almost a year at this process, and I guess I just want to get on with it. I'm compliant, I'll have no problems doing the supplements and other requirements. I figure that my weight is more of a risk and liability than the surgery at this point.

Am I doing the right thing? Feedback and advice will be much appreciated!

Most Active
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 41 replies · 533 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 38 replies · 516 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 28 replies · 397 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 252 views
What?s on your Sunday menu?
Melody P. · 2 replies · 126 views
Recent Topics