AnneGG’s Posts

AnneGG
on 3/4/12 6:32 am
Topic: RE: Survey question for psychology paper
I've been OK since surgery, but have had struggles with binge eating in the past. I still have lots of cravings in the evening and night.

"What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the master calls the butterfly." Richard Bach

"Support fosters your growth. If you are getting enough of the right support, you will experience a major transformation in yourself. You will discover a sense of empowerment and peace you have never before experienced. You will come to believe you can overcome your challenges and find some joy in this world." Katie Jay

AnneGG
on 3/4/12 2:05 am
Topic: RE: For those that have attended the OH Conference, was it worth it?
I have the same questions about value for the conference.

I'm going on the upcoming OH cruise, so I'll let people know how that goes. I figure it might be a good way to get to know some people in RL, plus I will be going zip-lining in Jamaica!

"What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the master calls the butterfly." Richard Bach

"Support fosters your growth. If you are getting enough of the right support, you will experience a major transformation in yourself. You will discover a sense of empowerment and peace you have never before experienced. You will come to believe you can overcome your challenges and find some joy in this world." Katie Jay

AnneGG
on 3/4/12 1:59 am
Topic: RE: traumatic medical stuff
Finding the right person to work with is magical, isn't it? It makes the pain and fear and sadness and shame and guilt bearable. They gave me the sense of being able to actually manage myself.

I will be forever grateful to those people in my life. They have been true healers, and have made all the difference for me.

Of course I could have paid for my getting a PhD with what I have spent on my healing, but one has to make choices.

AnneGG
on 3/4/12 1:22 am
Topic: RE: OK, time for some good doctor stories
I am so lucky to have a great medical team and great insurance. I am blessed.

But I had to work at the team part- I have stopped seing more than one doctor when he or she didn't meet my needs.

I like and trust my bariatric surgeon- he scares many people because of his abrupt approach, but he is a crack surgeon, and I like to take him on when I need to.

My favorite doc is my oncologist- she knows her stuff and has a heart of gold and goes the extra mile. I have to wait the longest to see her, but it is sure worthwhile.

AnneGG
on 3/4/12 1:10 am
Topic: RE: traumatic medical stuff
The only way I know how to deal with my PTSD is talking about it, sometimes over and over, and feeling the feelings associated with it with someone who understands and is supportive. I have gone through cases of kleenex, pounded pillows, and experienced through the profound fear. On the other side is release and relief.

I need the experiential types of therapy in addition to the dialectical behavioral- just talking helps but hasn't been sufficient for me.

Massage and other forms of body work have been so helpful with teaching me healthy, healing touch.

Meditation has been essential in teaching me to calm and center myself.

Exercise gets my endorphins going, and I feel better.

Time doesn't always heal- I think the emotions just go underground.

AnneGG
on 3/3/12 12:05 am
Topic: RE: I screwed up.
You've gotten some great advice here.

You haven't damaged yourself for life. You just have to get back up on the horse again, and slow it from a full out deprivation gallop to a healthy trot. 500-600 calories a day is not healthy, and just sets you up for messing up.

This journey takes forgiving ourselves again and again and again and getting back at it again and again and again.

AnneGG
on 3/2/12 11:53 pm
Topic: RE: OMG!! Was this dumping? Need some advice
Sounds like dumping, but I've never gotten it from Nyquil. Nyquil does have high fructose corn syrup in it, so maybe in combination with the Nutella you have the culprit.

Dumping is no fun, is it?

AnneGG
on 3/1/12 6:56 am
Topic: RE: darn it, my stomach hurts
Kelly, I'm sorry you're hurting!

Is there ever a bad time to look after one's health? Please get it checked out!

AnneGG
on 3/1/12 6:36 am
Topic: RE: Just back from hospital for impacted bowel - Gross
I had the same thing happen to me about 4 weeks post op. It was truly miserable- ER, enemas, the whole bit.

I have had IBS my whole life.

My daily regimen now:
   Miralax in my AM protein shake
   4 Colace
   2 Magnesium Oxide
   1 Udo's probiotic
   1 mug hot coffee after my protein shake.

Works very predictably.

Good luck- my heart goes out to you!

AnneGG
on 2/29/12 11:25 pm
Topic: RE: Fresh Post-ops - Chapped lips and irritated skin?
I think general anesthesia wreaks havoc on our systems also with regard to the dryness. My hair and skin were awful for a couple of months post-op.

AnneGG
on 2/29/12 11:22 pm
Topic: RE: Need Help with Fage all natural Greek Yogurt
I'm lucky because I love the stuff- O% with SF jam. It's one of my treats for the day.

AnneGG
on 2/29/12 11:16 pm
Topic: RE: need feedback!
Keep focused on your health first and weight second. You're doing great!

AnneGG
on 2/29/12 11:15 pm
Topic: RE: need feedback!
Great work, Sin Kim! Thanks for being a great inspiration around doing what works. Simple but not easy!

AnneGG
on 2/14/12 11:50 pm
Topic: RE: Me an athlete? NSV
Yup yup yup what a ride!!!

And what a ride adjusting to the difference in perceptions!

AnneGG
on 2/14/12 11:48 pm
Topic: RE: What is your ultimate NSV? Mine is...
I have too many to count!

Probably the best one is being able to run 5 miles a day at age 61, and this is involving a person who hates exercise.

I just signed up for the zipline in Jamaica on the OH cruise- that will be a good one!

I love my closet of new pretty clothes and shoes.

I love feeling self confident and not afraid of social situations.

I love waking up in the morning after all these years!

ME WOMAN, ME ROAR!!!

AnneGG
on 2/14/12 11:28 pm
Topic: RE: Psych eval question
The psych eval is simply to assess your readiness and appropriateness for surgery, and the depth of it does vary from surgeon to surgeon. It is not pass/fail; it is evaluative.

I think it only makes sense to check out previous mental health history to see how you handled it, whether you have a history of suicide attempts or other acting out behavior, and whether it will impact your ability to care for yourself post WLS.

WLS is such a major undertaking, and requires major lifestyle and ha*****anges over the long term. A person needs to be capable of making the adjustments.

AnneGG
on 2/14/12 5:18 pm, edited 2/14/12 5:20 pm
Topic: RE: Random Poll: Where/when is your "danger zone?"
Man, is this me! Thanks for your post!

The way I deal with it is to keep a box of Triscuits on the other side of the house, and I can only take 3 at a time. Then I nibble them very slowly. And I drink lots of Sobe Water. And I post here on OH using my iPad to keep me busy.

Works for me for the last 11 months since I got to goal weight.

AnneGG
on 2/14/12 12:47 pm
Topic: RE: OT - there's always someone that has it worse
I know this won't necessarily help the depression part, but just know the difference you make for so many of us, Kelly. Your perspective on things is balanced and to the point, and helps make tough journeys easier. You are so generous and patient and kind.

I know there are many of us rooting for you!!!

AnneGG
on 2/7/12 9:36 pm
Topic: RE: So incredibly, painfully constipated
I have to use 4 colace and Miralax daily; I have for years. Since surgery I added magnesium oxide and fibre pills. Plus a hot cup of coffee in the morning, and I'm all set.

AnneGG
on 2/7/12 9:24 pm
Topic: RE: Really, OH? Advertising for McDonalds?
I use Firefox and the Adblock Plus add on, so I get very few ads at all. Love it!

AnneGG
on 2/7/12 9:13 pm
Topic: RE: Irregularity
I have been using Miralax and 4 Colace together daily for years, and magnesium oxide and fiber pills in addition since surgery on my doctor's recommendation.

None of the above is habit forming, and they have made a regular difference for me!

AnneGG
on 2/7/12 9:09 pm
Topic: RE: Flavored vs. Plain Greek Yogurt
I eat the Fage 0% flavored yogurts because they are not that high in calories, and they taste so good.

But I like your system- I do that sometimes.

AnneGG
on 10/29/11 4:52 am
Topic: RE: Is it possible to lose TOO much weight?
I had a BMI of 35 with comorbidities at the time of my surgery. I hit 3 lbs above my goal of 120 lbs 6 months ago, and it seems to be where my body is happy, plus or minus 2 pounds. My comorbidities are all better.

AnneGG
on 10/29/11 3:03 am
Topic: RE: Contempt for Weight Loss
People have been wonderful with me, thank heavens, though a couple of people have been concerned I'm losing too much. I just tell them I've been done for 6 months. My neighbors cheer me on when they see me running.

AnneGG
on 10/28/11 7:31 pm
Topic: RE: Candy and protein together? Can this be?
 What brand are these? Are you sure they are isolate protein?

Most Active
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
JuniperBerry · 60 replies · 733 views
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
JuniperBerry · 51 replies · 467 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
JuniperBerry · 50 replies · 518 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
JuniperBerry · 38 replies · 499 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
JuniperBerry · 36 replies · 175 views
What's on your Saturday menu?