aesposito’s Posts

aesposito
on 10/9/17 7:49 am
Topic: RE: Post op diet

Yep I sure am. We routinely hear of surgeons who tell their patients it's OK to eat potatoes, bread, fruit etc in the weeks following rny. Or low-fat sugar-added foods. Or juices. Or oatmeal and cream of wheat and grits.

If it's wrong, and if it flies in the face of science, then yes, ignore that part of the surgeon's plan.

The good news is, she can always ignore me too... as can you... if you wish to.

Audrey

Highest weight: 340
Surgery weight: 313
Surgery date: 10/24/11
Current weight 170... 170 pounds lost!!!!

I am not a doctor, but I play one at work.

aesposito
on 10/8/17 4:55 pm
Topic: RE: Post op diet

No, DON'T follow your plan. Surgeons can be, and often are, wrong. Low-fat foods often have sugar and carbs added to maintain flavor and "mouth feel". Eat full-fat beans, cheese, etc. Unless you have a bad gall bladder, you will not gain weight from these foods. And be careful of yogurt and milk due to its high natural sugar content. Remember that whether it's sugar, natural sugar, fruit sugar, fructose, glucose, whole grain, 100 percent grain, wheat, carbs or lactose, it is still sugar.

And if you don't believe me (and maybe you should, given I have had some degree of success, but anyway...), believe the ASMBS, which your doctor is most certainly a member of, which says stay under 50 g of carbs a day.

https://asmbs.org/patients/life-after-bariatric-surgery

Audrey

aesposito
on 10/3/17 6:43 pm
Topic: RE: Six years out and anemic again... keep up those vitamins people!

thank you Daisydoo! I am also perimenopausel and it's been an adventure, to say the least!

Audrey

aesposito
on 10/3/17 6:42 pm

I have not tried iron patches but I am considering all possibilities. I have ADD and way too many children... and as a result I tend to forget vitamins from time to time... patches may certainly help...

Audrey

aesposito
on 10/3/17 4:29 pm

Come back in 5/6 years and tell us that, if you can. And if you can't, I promise we won't tell you "I told you so". We will just support you, unlike the lack of support you have just displayed.

Audrey

aesposito
on 10/3/17 2:55 pm
Topic: RE: when food gets stuck

I did OK with pork chops and steak.. but six years out I STILL have occasional issues with dry chicken and ground beef (like meatloaf). Everyone is a little different. Add some (full fat) mayo or something and see if that helps.

Audrey

aesposito
on 10/3/17 2:50 pm

At nearly my six year surgiversary, and blood tests (as well as my utter exhaustion and circles under my eyes) show I am anemic. Ugh. I am trying to talk the doc into more iron supplements instead of infusions... it worked last time, and unlike a lot of RNY vets I don't normally have constipation issues that iron will make worse. Plus I already take fists-full of Magnesium which should keep things moving well.

Moral of the story, keep on top of those vitamins. Years later, it can still bite you in the ass.

Audrey

aesposito
on 9/25/17 11:16 am
Topic: RE: Can i drink tomato juice?

Less worried about acid, more worried about sugar. Tomatoes have sugar. All fruits have sugar. Natural sugar is still sugar. Fructose is still sugar.

What you mean to say is no-added sugar. A medium tomato contains nearly 5g carbs... I would be careful how many you put in your juice... you may want to stick to a whole tomato instead, or better yet limit tomato/fruits for several months yet.

Audrey

aesposito
on 9/17/17 5:19 pm
Topic: RE: What CAN'T you eat with RNY? Getting a medically required VSG to RNY revision

Six years out, I can (theoretically) eat anything. However in most cases, I choose not to.

Every so often I ignore Pouchy, and I suffer the consequences physically. But that is my stupid choice.

Audrey

aesposito
on 8/31/17 5:29 pm
Topic: RE: No Advil, no Prednisone...so what now?

I have found it most helpful to tell doctors I am allergic to nsaids (when you mention ulcer risk, their eyes often glaze over). Then there is no question, and they HAVE to find something else to treat me with. Vicodin seems to be the go-to for a lot of them... but I usually refuse it due to having to function and drive on a daily basis. When I blew up my appendix 2 years ago, Dilaudid was my friend, but again I can't raise a family and go to work while on Dilaudid.

So the other go-to? Suffering. I am sorry, but there is very little out there other than opiates, and unless you live the kind of life that doesn't require being awake and aware, you are mostly out of luck. Some have found luck with things like neurontin/gabapentin for nerve-related pain, etc... but only some.

Tylenol is not much of a pain-killer unless mixed with codeine, which creates a similar issue I am afraid.

Just my experience, but as a healthcare provider myself, I think I am on pretty solid ground here unfortunately.

Audrey

aesposito
on 8/27/17 3:54 pm
Topic: RE: Getting dumping syndrome so much

You are not dumping. You are not a sweaty, shaky mess on the floor half-conscious and hating the world, so you are not dumping. Dumping is caused biologically by sugar and carbs.

And fat is fine unless you have gall bladder issues. My guess is the cottage cheese... which is pretty high in lactose and carbs for this early out anyway. But it's only a guess.

Then again, unlike almost everyone on this board, the surgery caused me loose stools instead of constipation, no matter what I ate (ultimately diagnosed with IBS-D and lactose intolerance post-surgery, along with a non-functioning gall bladder). So it may be you are just one of those people... consider yourself lucky, as constipation and subsequent bowl obstructions are rather unpleasant.

Audrey

aesposito
on 8/21/17 9:39 am
Topic: RE: Blood sugar issue?

Just an fyi, usually sweet, fruity (ketone) breath is high sugar, not low... but in any case, your friend did the right thing... when not sure we always err on the side of low and give sugar, as low can kill you more quickly than high.

If you do increase carbs, always mix your carbs with a protein for slower absorption (sugar water by itself will wear off soon)... and keep it evenly spaced throughout the day. Peanut butter on bread for example, or a bologna sandwich with mayo.

Audrey

aesposito
on 8/20/17 8:27 pm
Topic: RE: Having a rough day

I am sure someone will give me some sh*t about this, but...

Two weeks out... eat the damn sausage if that's what you want. Chew the pasty hell out of it, but eat it. Add some mayo if you want to make it even easier to go down. Low carb, low sugar (certainly lower than milk), high protein, why not? Remember dietary fat does not make you fat...

My only reservation is it's a bit high in salt, but if you are eating only one, I doubt you will keel over and die. If it bothers your stomach, stop eating it.

Doctors and nutritionists are not gods. You only have to read a few posts on this board to realize that. Most don't even follow the ASMBS guidelines set as the industry standard. Heck, most can't even spell ASMBS.

Audrey

aesposito
on 8/15/17 4:57 pm
Topic: RE: What's the deal with fruit?

You are still losing weight because mal-absorption lasts a year or more after surgery. You could be eating a bag of skittles a day and still lose weight this early out.

But when that stops, you will gain if you are not careful with fruit. Fruit is sugar. Some can eat more than others (and if you are lucky, you will be one of those people), but always be cognizant of the fact that fruit sugar, fructose, lactose, glucose, grains, starches, etc are still sugar.

Audrey

aesposito
on 8/7/17 10:46 am
Topic: RE: My stomach feeling really bad today ... any advice?

She found an awesome combo recently of steroids and methyltrexate... we took a walk today and she was moving faster than I was! Hoping it lasts for a bit...

Audrey

aesposito
on 8/7/17 7:25 am

My best friend has Sjogrens and a few other auto-immune related issues. I feel for you... whenever they put her back on meds, she gains weight like crazy.... then loses it when she goes off but then of course the symptoms come back :(

Audrey

aesposito
on 8/6/17 7:59 pm

Sounds like food poisoning. Much more common than you might think... in fact 99 percent of what we call "stomach flu" is in fact some kind of food-borne illness.

As for oatmeal, I don't care how much f*cking protein it has. Stay away from it. Take it from someone who has successfully kept 180 pounds off for 6 years now... I don't care what your doctor or nut says.

Audrey

aesposito
on 7/26/17 5:21 am
Topic: RE: Meds after surgery

You won't necessarily have to get rid of the XL... yes some people don't get the same effect after RNY, but others don't have a major issue depending on what mechanism the manufacturer used to make the medication XL (and other people have success switching from XL to ER, or ER to XR, etc etc).

As for depression, I took standard release Prozac in pill form before and after surgery. No major changes in how it worked for me. But I had to change Focalin dosage (for ADD) as the XR was releasing weirdly.

You don't have to switch to liquid or crushed as long as the pills are small... I had bigger problems swallowing vitamins than I did my medications.

Audrey

aesposito
on 7/23/17 6:21 pm
Topic: RE: Winter is Coming - when did you realize the honeymoon phase was over?

I totally got it. Hodor, Hodor!!!

Audrey

aesposito
on 7/12/17 4:51 pm
Topic: RE: RNY revamp?

Ditto what Laura said. I can eat a ton of certain foods. I choose not to. It's a new mindset for me, and not an easy one, but something that has kept me on the straight and narrow since 2011.

Audrey

aesposito
on 7/5/17 7:28 pm
Topic: RE: Question for the vets re: carbs

Screw fruit and go really easy on veg. High fat, high protein, low carb is how I have kept 180 pounds off for nearly six years. And heavy on the vitamins... D3, Magnesium (Citrate, not oxide), Iron, B12.

Audrey

aesposito
on 6/29/17 11:59 am
Topic: RE: Vyvanse....give me the deets!

My son was prescribed it for ADHD for a time. It worked but made him a grumpy pain in the butt. He (and I) are both very successful on Focalin XR... him for ADHD and me for ADD.

And BTW if by the "skinny" you mean you are wondering if it helps with weight loss, only when you first start taking it (or almost any ADHD stim). The appetite effect doesn't last... but that's not why I take it anyway.

Audrey

aesposito
on 6/20/17 8:38 pm
Topic: RE: Is SF Sprite or SF Ginger Ale ever okay?

Lots of people drink caffeinated, carbonated sugar-free beverages post-surgery. It may be uncomfortable early out, but there is no actual medical reason not to do so other than discomfort...

I would not recommend that the poster drink it this early after surgery as the bubbles can hurt (trust me, they do... ), but months or years post-RNY there is no reputable research showing it should be avoided.

Audrey

aesposito
on 6/20/17 8:34 pm
Topic: RE: Is SF Sprite or SF Ginger Ale ever okay?

I exist on Diet Mountain Dew. Without it, I would kill people and pets. But that is six years out. This early, the fizz will probably be more uncomfortable than you would prefer... take a bottle, shake to let out the fizz, and sip a bit if you think it will help, but don't be surprised if it doesn't... most "ginger" ale on the market these days has almost no real ginger in it.

Audrey

aesposito
on 5/3/17 12:53 pm
Topic: RE: Coffee post-op? Also, leg cramps.

I have to take daily Magnesium Citrate supplements (500 mg a day) to avoid debilitating, tear-inducing leg cramps while sleeping, and have had to for more than 5 years now. If I miss more than a week, they come back.

FYI Magnesium Oxide is the most common form in stores, but the least bio-available. So other than giving you the poopy-poos (which is great if you need them), it's useless for supplementing magnesium as a nutrient. Citrate or other forms work better.

Audrey

Most Active
What's on your Tuesday Menu?
Queen JB · 44 replies · 417 views
What's on your Wednesday Menu?
Queen JB · 43 replies · 364 views
What's on your Monday Menu?
Queen JB · 36 replies · 421 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 26 replies · 408 views
What's on your Thursday Menu?
Queen JB · 8 replies · 59 views
Recent Topics