Hi sleep apneics!

MommaSyn
on 3/31/11 2:12 pm - Cook, MN
Hi! I am an old newbie. Just had a RNY on 3-21-11. Still on my C-PAP. Just wondering how long it was before anyone noted a change or that they were getting too much air at time of sleep after their surgery.
    Cindy Prior AKA Momma Syn                                                 
dwpersel
on 3/31/11 10:20 pm - Fredericksburg, VA
In spite of my WLS, I had my CPAP settings increase! ARGGHH! Diana
MommaSyn
on 4/1/11 2:50 am - Cook, MN
Oh no! So sorry to hear that! However sleep apnea is not caused by obesity alone. I have a sister-in-law who could never be considered overweight, much less obese and she has a CPAP as well. Maybe it truly is the obstructive kind. Hang in there dear. I will wait and see, I guess.
YankeeRose
on 4/7/11 11:41 am - Meadville, PA
Hi! I just got my CPAP 2 months ago. My setting is 12. I have not had my surgery yet. I go to see the Pulmonologist tomorrow and I am hoping he will finally sign off for me to have the surgery. He is the last one I am waiting for to give his okay. I just hope I have worn it enough for him to consider me "compliant with treatment." I still have nights where I wake up and the CPAP is off but I don't remember taking it off. Like you, I am hoping that once I lose weight I will no longer need the CPAP.

Tammy
Luck 'o the Irish
HW399/SW362/CW219/GW130
*37 lbs were lost pre-op

MommaSyn
on 4/11/11 2:54 am - Cook, MN
Hi! I have had mine since 1997. I too am at 12 pounds. Some people are able to get off of this thing if the snoring is caused by obesity. Others have the obstructive sleep apnea and have to have the machine for life. I really would like to ge off of this thing at night. Not real romantic for hubby, but we survive. Hang in there, your doc will come through! I have faith that you will get your surgery right on time!!!
Mishelle R.
on 4/12/11 9:44 am
at about 50 pounds might consider talking to your DME provider about doing a week trial on an auto pap to see if your pressure has changed.

Mine was changed twice in the first year after surgery from 12 down to 7 and still on it. What I noticed most was the dry mouth I was having. seems like when the pressure was too high, my lips opened and dried out my mouth. Normally my mouth never opens while on cpap
babynurse1217
on 5/12/11 3:19 am - NC
Hi.  I noticed problems after even 25 lbs loss (had my surgery on 3-7-11).  I was getting hiccups and felt nauseated at night.  I have lost a lot of fullness in my face and went back to the company that handles my equipment.  We did a 2 week trial with auto-pap to see if I could tolerate lower pressures.  I was also fitted for a smaller mask.  I went back yesterday for a download and was ok'd to go down on the pressure.  I am back to cpap now, but just at a lower maximum pressure.  Between that and the mask change, I am MUCH more comfortable.  So, try contacting your equipment company and see what they can do for you.  Hope it helps and good luck! 

Most Active