New to Sleep Apnea

Terri70
on 10/5/16 10:48 am

I completed my 1st sleep study with a mild obstructive sleep apnea diagnosis. I go October 18th to do the sleep study with CPAP. I'm so sleep deprived that at this point, all I want is to sleep for more than 90 minutes at a time. I'm so exhausted all the time and I know it's because of not getting any good sleep.

I am scared of the CPAP though. I'm slightly claustrophobic and a mouth breather so I know it may take a little time to find the correct one. I let them know this when I scheduled the second study.

Wish me luck.

MTS31801
on 10/15/16 9:02 pm

I felt the same way when I had to go be tested for the machine. They tried the nasal mask but I too am a mouth breather. the thought of the full face mask did give me a claustrophobic scare at first but the mask they gave me Res Med face mask. I has a series of breathing holes right about the nose. It's very comfortable and my anxiety left immediately once I had it on.

Glad your apnea is only mild and your taking care of it. I was told that I stopped breathing 70 times an hour in my sleep. I was put on a Bi Pap with 2 liters of oxygen.  I sleep wonderfully now without waking up several times a night.

It will take a few nights to get use to wearing the mask but the results of a great nights sleep is well worth it. When I wake up in the morning I am well rested and wide awake. No turning over to go back to go back to sleep. No more waking up tired and exhausted in the mornings, no more afternoon naps.

Good luck with your adjustment to the C-Pap. I hope I relieved some of your anxieties. 

Terri70
on 10/17/16 5:33 am

Yes. They said they noted my chart about the claustrophobia and being a mouth breather. Hopefully they'll pay attention to it. If not, I will remind them. lol I so can't wait to sleep good. It's been forever it feels like.

MSSHORTYDEE
on 11/3/16 4:54 pm

GOOD LUCK!!! It took a while to get use to sleep with something on my face. I star with the nasal mask. I had to get the face mask because the nasal one irritated my skin. I've been using my CPAP since May. Practice wearing while you watching TV or reading. It really helps A LOT!!

Most Active