Anyone have to go between a nose and face mask?

rce884
on 10/25/16 6:41 am
RNY on 09/05/17

i got my cpap about 6 months ago and got a nose mask. but i have as of yet been unable to sleep with it on. i get to the point where i am gasping for air. i think i have post nasal drip. and it is interfering with my sleeping with the nose piece. i was wondering if anyone else went from nose piece to face mask and if it helped them sleep with it on any better?

I may not be there yet, but I'm closer than I was yesterday!

Highest weight 311/ Weight day of surgery 271/One Month 257/ Two Months 247.5 / Three Months 241/ Four months 234/ Five months 228

Terri70
on 10/25/16 12:59 pm

I was just diagnosed and told that the dr wants me on an Auto-pap. BUT during my sleep study I had a full mask because I am a mouth breather. The only problem I had was it hurt my face after awhile and woke me up to get the guy to readjust and loosen it. I hope others come on and answer your question better.

rce884
on 10/25/16 1:37 pm
RNY on 09/05/17

Thanks Terri70. Any feedback is good feedback. I don't have pain in my face with the nose mask. Perhaps I will ask about that with my next appointment see if that is typical with a face mask 

unagordita
on 4/14/17 8:30 pm

During the sleep study I got the nose mask, I was glad to have finished the course since the sides of the mask by the nose were giving me an allergic reaction, I got tiny pimples. Now I have one that goes into my nostrils no mask, this one is horrible I feel like I can't breathe and during the early morning I wake up and take it off. I also feel rather sluggish during the day. I haven't used it for 6 days now. I need to go in and try a different type.

MSSHORTYDEE
on 11/3/16 4:48 pm
On October 25, 2016 at 1:41 PM Pacific Time, rce884 wrote:

i got my cpap about 6 months ago and got a nose mask. but i have as of yet been unable to sleep with it on. i get to the point where i am gasping for air. i think i have post nasal drip. and it is interfering with my sleeping with the nose piece. i was wondering if anyone else went from nose piece to face mask and if it helped them sleep with it on any better?

I started out with the nasal one. I had to change to face mask because the nasal one was irritating my skin around my nose

rce884
on 11/4/16 4:08 pm
RNY on 09/05/17

Thanks. I will keep that in mind I won't be making an unreasonable demand asking for a face mask. 

?

MSSHORTYDEE
on 11/4/16 6:06 pm

You're not being unreasonable. You have to find the right

Mask ? that works for you. The company will easily comply. 

MTS31801
on 11/29/16 6:12 pm

I am on a Bi-Pap machine with full face mask! It's very comfortable (ResMed Quatro). I just had my yearly pulmonary visit today and my doctor gave me an A++. Said that I was exceeding his expectations! He was also very happy to hear that I am going up for Bariatric surgery in the spring! My advise is to talk to your Pulmonary doctor, tell him the problems your having and ask to try different masks. Eventually you will find one that is suitable for you. I love my Bi-Pap machine, I can't sleep without it. I no longer wake up four times a night because my body is craving oxygen. Talk to your doctor! These machines DO MAKE A BIG DIFFERENCE.

CalliopeAnn
on 1/17/17 1:28 pm
VSG on 12/21/16

I had the same issue with the nasal pillow mask, and I ended up just needing the pressure turned up a little. Straightened things out right away and its been great since!

cabin111
on 2/22/17 6:30 pm

Mild sleep apnea here.  Did the sleep study.  Tried the mask (new from a friend...Never used) and the nose mask.  I hated both and couldn't sleep with them.  I then went with the mouthpiece.  It took awhile but I have gotten use to that.  If I can remember to put it in before I go to sleep.  It's in about 1/2 to 1/4 of the time...Depending on the night.  I don't want to wear it till I'm about to go to sleep.  Many times I fall asleep before I remember to put it in.  I've tried timers...And when I'm half asleep it will go off.  I'll put it in.  But here is the other problem, I fall asleep...The mouthpiece next to me...The timer goes off.  I wake up, put the mouthpiece in, then can't get back to sleep.

Again, just saying I couldn't handle (sleep) with the CPAP.  Had to go with the mouthpiece.  Brian

Most Active