Is test worth it?

E D.
on 8/16/04 12:40 pm
I have already been approved for my surgery without a sleep test. However, I have some nights that are very bad. I wake up in a sweat, chocking, than have a head ach all day long. I only have those really bad days once or twice a month. I don't know if I should insist on a sleep test to get a CPAP. My surgery is in December '04. Anyone have feed back? Is it worth it? Should I just wait? Liz
cierad11
on 8/18/04 1:14 pm - cleveland, OH
LIZ I FEEL THAT IT IS VERY IMPORTANT TO GET A SLEEP STUDY AND SEE IF YOU MAY NEED TO GO ON C-PAP YOU NEED TO KNOW THIS BEFORE YOU GO TO SURGERY,MY DOC REQUIRES THAT YOU ATLEAST BE ON C-PAP 2 WEEKS BEFORE SUGERY IF YOU HAVE SLEEP APNEA,PEOPLE HAVE BEEN KNOWN TO DIE AFTER SURGERY BECAUSE OF UNTREATED SLEEP APNEA,AND IT COULD HAVE BEEN AVOIDED IF THEY WOULD HAVE BEEN TREATED,BUT SOME PEOPLE ARE DIFFERENT AND SOME PEOPLE WHO GO UNTREATED HAVE SURGERY AND COME OUT JUST FINE,BUT IT'S BETTER SAFE THAN SORRY GOD BLESS EBONY
E D.
on 8/18/04 2:10 pm
Thank you for your help. I was wondering if you could die from it. I'm going to call my Dr. and do the test. I want to be sure nothing happens after the surgery when I'm in recovery. I was afraid I would be too drugged to wake myself. And, I don't think the nurses keep that close an eye on us. Thank you. I'll try to remember to follow up on this post after I do the test.
red
on 8/21/04 11:14 am - shepherdsville, KY
YES sweetie,Please have the test,It's very important.You won't be sorry ya did. c u Brittany.
justaboutkrazy
on 8/23/04 5:55 pm - Pensacola, FL
Hi Liz....Yes, please get tested. I was diagnosed with sleep apnea in 1998. I tried to get used to the cpap but couldnt so I just gave up and started sleeping in a recliner(sitting up) because it is easier to breath that way. In the past 6 years since I was diagnosed I have put on about 75lbs and have developed lymphedema in my legs and belly. The pulmonologist that I have now says that its from my oxygen dropping so low when i sleep. Because I havent worn the cpap my heart is now enlarged from having to work so hard. I didnt realize it was so important until I started swelling so bad and got a new doctor. I still cant tolerate the cpap but Im trying. Some people have no problem with it tho. Maybe you'll be one of those. I hope so. But do get it checked. Love and Peace, Mary Brake ps...my pulmonologist says he doesnt think its safe for me to have wls until I have used the cpap sucessfully for a YEAR!!
E D.
on 8/24/04 2:15 am
I am scheduled for a Sleep Study on 8/25. Thank you all for your responses. I'll let you know how it turns out. Liz
Most Active