Sleep Study (Do I have to take off work? )

Tomeka J.
on 9/3/04 3:07 am - Detroit, MI
I would like to be tested, but if I have to take off work I might have to pass. I snore loudly (per my Husband) and dream I'm being suffocated. I wake up with a sore throat and sweating! I also have an HMO so I need a referral from my PCP. My comobidities for WLS are: arthritis, severe joint pain in my knees, borderline hypertension and family history of diabetes.
Lisa-G
on 9/3/04 3:47 am - Spartanburg, SC
Tomeka, The testine is usually done at night and here at our sleep they woke me up adound 6:30 for after my first sleep study. Find out ehat the eimeline is. I had my first one on a Friday night and the secons on a Saturday. Take care, Lisa
thammmer
on 9/3/04 9:27 am - La Crosse, WI
Tomeka, First of all welcome!!! I have had 3 sleep studies. Each one was set up around my schedule. I had to be at work @5:30 am... they woke me up at 4:30, per my instructions, so I could get to work on time. I went in each time after 10 pm. I would go to the ER and they would call the sleep tech down to get me. If you have any other questions, please feel free to give a shout !!! :
E D.
on 9/3/04 3:07 pm
Hi Tomeka, Well you sound like you need to be tested for sure. When you wrote "(I)dream I'm being suffocated. I wake up with a sore throat and sweating!" that is classic symptoms. If you want to research more you can look it up on webmd. Now having an HMO might be more difficult to get the refferal. I have a PPO so it was easy for me. Sometimes with an HMO they may want you to start out my taping yourself at night. Then send you to the sleep center for an overnight. Mine "kicked" us out at 5:30am. I had to shower because they put this sticky stuff in your hair. So you should get to work ontime. So your first step is to talk to you PCP. OH And Sleep Apnea will help with getting approval. Liz
Cathy M.
on 9/3/04 4:15 pm - Fieldbrook, CA
Tomeka, I had my sleep study on a work night. As Liz said, they do put sticky stuff in your hair, so I drove home, took a shower and drove back to work. No problem. I had to be there by 8:00 pm, but I was home by 6:30 am the next morning. ~Cathy
Memory B.
on 9/8/04 9:20 am - Munford, TN
You probably have sleep apnea just from what you said in your post. I just had my second study with the CPAP machine last Friday night. I know that with our clinic you don't have to be there until 8:30pm and they woke me around 5:30am. Like one of the other said though, you will denfinitely need a shower. Check with your sleep center and see if they have shower facilities on site (mine does). And lots of the centers do the testing 7 days per week. If I were you I would definitely call and check the hours and the facilities and days that they are available. Do you also have bad headaches in the mornings after you wake up? Just curious because that was one of my symptoms and I have sleep apnea. Good luck and I will be praying for you throughout your ordeal. Just remember, "This too shall pass". Memory Barnhill
Tomeka J.
on 9/9/04 12:01 am - Detroit, MI
YOU GUYS ARE RIGHT! ALL THINGS IN DIVINE ORDER. I SEE MY PCP TODAY AND WILL KEEP YOU POSTED AS TO WHAT HE SAYS. LOVE THIS SUPPORT THING. i DON'T OVER EAT (AS MUCH) BECAUSE i CAN VENT HERE. THIS IS GREAT. LOVE YOU ALL
Tomeka J.
on 9/12/04 10:56 pm - Detroit, MI
Well,I went to see my PCP and we started talking about my letter of referral and the fact that my blood pressure was of very high. I realized this was not the time to mention sleep apnea. He wants to see my psyche eval before he submits his refferal. He's on board though, and believes that I'm doing the right thing. He said that he will take the best care of me after surgery.
Most Active