Newbie.... with a whole bunch of issues!

Beth H
on 9/25/04 7:39 pm - NY
Hi everyone - this is my first-ever post at ObesityHelp, as I've only been lurking for a couple of weeks now. I'm just beginning to consider WLS and reading everything I can get my hands on. When I found this forum last night, I realized this might be the best place to get a lot of my questions answered. I apologize in advance for the sheer length of this post! I (finally) believe I have sleep apnea, after fighting the idea for quite some time. My husband has been telling me (and family, which is extremely embarrassing...) about my horrible snoring, and how I stop breathing for a bit, and then 'snort' myself awake and gasp in air. I've said no for a long time because I have absolutely no memory of waking this way, ever. Also, having seen my father-in-law's CPAP machine when he was first diagnosed about 8 years ago, I just think there's no way I could ever sleep with that on, since I have such sleep problems to begin with. I suffer from insomnia and have terrible difficulty falling asleep, and staying asleep. Most nights I don't get in to bed until well after 1 AM, and it still can take me an hour or more to fall asleep. I wake up frequently having to go to the bathroom, so I'm out of bed several times per night. (There've been really bad nights where I could swear the bathroom trips are hourly.) I know I should stop drinking anything by about 6 p.m. probably, but I hate being thirsty. I don't drink inordinate amounts, but if I'm watching TV or on the computer, I do have a nice glass of ice water sitting there with me. (Hey, at least I'm not munching junk foods at night....) I know thirst can be a sign of diabetes, but as of my last checkup, I was still OK on that front. I know part of the waking/bathroom breaks are because I'm really nervous about wetting the bed. That's happened a few times over the last 15 years, and it's really upsetting when it does. So, here it is, 5 AM, and I'm having an awful night. I've been laying there contemplating a sleep study, and wondering how I'd get through that. What if I just simply can't fall asleep? Will I be able to get up and use the bathroom as I need to? Will they even be able to tell anything from my limited amount of sleep? I'm pretty much at the end of my rope and can't live this way any longer. I'm a mom of two young kids (one is a toddler), and I need to be more alert during the day. I feel way too drowsy, lack energy and have memory problems. I'll be 45 next month, but feel much older. I get very little accomplished during the day. I sometimes feel like my whole body clock is reversed - I can fall asleep sitting upright during the day, and I'm up at least half the night. I'm too damn tired to even enjoy life anymore, never mind the weight issues. If this sounds like a cry for help - it is!!!!! Beth
James_L.
on 9/26/04 12:26 am - Warner Robins, GA
Hi Beth, my name is James and I have severe obstructive sleep apnea and use a CPAP nightly. I too, snore loudly,and have for years. It hasn't been as bad as I had imagined getting used to the CPAP, the benefits far outweigh the annoyances. I was told by the technician that did my second sleep study(CPAP trial) that a higher index in regards to sleep apnea will actually cause you to have trouble falling asleep as well as prevent you from getting a restful sleep. I use an over the nose mask with my CPAP, but there are other types of masks available. Look for this website: www.cpapman.com on the internet. This site belongs to a CPAP supplier and shows many different types of masks that are available today. There is even a type that resembles an oxygen tube that goes in each nostril, I believe it's called a Nasalaire mask. I've seen posts on this board from others who have tried this mask successfully. In regards to nighttime bathroom calls, if I need to get up,I simply unplug the hose from my mask and go-no need to turn off the CPAP. The hose simply slides over a tube similar to an old vacuum cleaner hook-up and is held in place by friction. I'm not trying to sound like a know-it-all, but from what you've said, I wouldn't be surprised if you do have sleep apnea. The symptoms you describe are almost identical to what I was experiencing before I went for sleep study. The fatigue, drowsiness and memory problems sound so familiar. I strongly suggest considering discussing a sleep study with your Dr., it's a painless ordeal, just numerous test leads attached to your head and body and you sleep. They will even give you something to help you get to sleep, or at least they did for me. Best wishes to you and if there is any othewr questions you have, feel free to ask. James Lamb
E D.
on 9/26/04 5:22 am
I know how you feel. I just got diagnosed and am waiting to get my CPAP. I'm really hoping it will help me with my energy. Because I feel like I cant do anything I use to be able to do. I agree with James. Talk to your Dr about a sleep study. It sounds like SA to me as well. When I did my first sleep study it was easy to ask the nurse to let me up to go to the bathroom. They are watching you through a camera and all you have to do is call them and they will unhook you. I did not think I slept enough for the test on the first night; I had a total of three hours. It was enough for a report so you may sleep enough for a study as well. Defiantly ask your Dr. especially if you are thinking about WLS. You can ask any time you have a question . Good Luck Liz
kitty1000
on 9/26/04 5:49 am - BOONVILLE, IN
I'm pre-op but have been using my c-pap for 6 years. I was a snorer, got up every 1-2 hours to pee, and I thought the pee thing was because I'm older 55 soon, but after the c-pap I sleep 6-8 hours per night and don't wake up at all so the pee urge wasn't what was waking me up but the sleep apnea was and when I awoke I naturally thought about the bathroom and went it is kind of strange to use at first but didn't take long to where I automatically reach for it at bedtime I use the nose mask too and humidifer and it's just great no mornings where I feel tired-er than when I went to bed,,,good luck
Beth H
on 9/26/04 8:38 am - NY
Thanks James, Liz and Brenda - I feel a little bit better about the whole issue now. I do have to get to my PCP and get a referral for the sleep study. I'll try this week - now that I've made the decision to do it, I want it done yesterday! I'm tired.... of being tired. Beth
thammmer
on 9/26/04 1:57 pm - La Crosse, WI
Hey Beth... When I had my last sleep study, I went into the hospital after class (10pm). After I got all hooked up, I went to bed... I could not fall asleep!! I was just like you are. I could fall asleep at the drop of a hat during the daytime, but at night, forget it!! After a bit they brought in a pill, I think it was called Ambien or something, anyway, after that I was able to fall asleep. There are a wide variety of mask styles that are available. Good luck to you...
Beth H
on 9/30/04 12:25 pm - NY
Tim, If they give me something to sleep - I'll sign up right now!! I've seen the ads for Ambien, but didn't want to ask my PCP for another prescription. I've been so sure I would "fail" the sleep test that I've been really hesitant to do it - too much pressure! Beth
thammmer
on 9/30/04 1:53 pm - La Crosse, WI
During my last test, I was wound up from school. I got out at 10pm that night and was at the hospital around 10:30. I layed there til I bet 2am. Just as I was telling myself how ridiculous this was, the nurse came in and said they were going to get something to help me sleep.They must have been watching my Alpha waves doing their best impression of Mt. Everest. They gave me an ambien, I don't remember the dose, and I fell asleep probably within 15 minutes or so. Maybe when you go for your test, you can tell them how anxious you are. Maybe they will have the Dr. order something for you. Good luck!!!
sspev
on 10/14/04 11:22 am - Seattle area (Everett), WA
Hi, Beth, Although I've been reading and posting on obesity help for a few months, I haven't been on the sleep apnea forum before today. Perhaps by now you've had your sleep study, and all is well. I've been on c-pap for over 5 years. I used to fall asleep driving, in meetings at work, in church, etc. Since my diagnosis, and the c-pap, no more! One issue I wanted to comment on is the frequent nighttime urination. When you have sleep apnea, your heart is working harder, to overcome the breathing disruption. The extra heart work produces more toxins for the kidneys to remove, hence the necessity for more frequent urination at night. It used to puzzle me that I could go for 3 -4 hours during the day without bathroom trips, but had to go so much more frequently at night. When my sleep doctor explained this physiology to me, it made perfect sense! If you haven't already, go to your sleep doctor, and good luck! Also, if you have other questions, please feel free to email me. I'll help if I can. Susan
jh
on 10/20/04 9:35 am - jamestown, MO
Beth, Hope you've had your test by now. I know exactly what you're going through and it sure does sound like SA. The thing that got me on the road for the tests was when my doctor said, hey, you could fall asleep at the wheel with your kids in the car, so do it for them! I had been falling asleep at work, but did not even realize it until it was brought up on my performance review. I was shocked and got an appointment right away. I've been on CPAP for 2 years now, and my energy level is 100% better. The test wasn't that bad and it was well worth it. It does take a little to get used to it but give it time. Good luck!
Most Active