Newbie w/CPAP question

melissab
on 9/30/04 9:03 am - Hornell Heights, Ontario, Canada
Hi all, I actually don't have sleep apnea, but my partner was just diagnosed with it (finally! I knew he had it, I sleep next to him after all, but he didn't believe me). He had his sleep test last week and we are told his apnea is "severe". He stopped breathing at one point for 99seconds. In total he stopped breathing completely so often in a night that even the doctor was a bit shocked at the severity. So we bought his CPAP machine the same day the doctor diagnosed sleep apnea (Tuesday). So he has only used it twice. The problem is that there is a collection of water that builds in the mask while he sleeps. He will roll over in his sleep and ends up with a face full of water waking him up. Does anyone know how to help this??? Thanx in advance for any and all advice! Melissa
R W.
on 9/30/04 12:06 pm - Memphis, TN
Hi, I have a CPAP Machine, and that has happen to me before. I guess the best thing to do is make sure the hose is higher than the machine and make sure you dont fill the water container pass that fill line.
kitty1000
on 10/1/04 3:35 am - BOONVILLE, IN
two things cause this in my experience, had c-pap 6 years, 1) the table your machine on should be lower than the bed, 2) make sure not to over fill your humidifier
CuteDonna
on 10/6/04 10:51 pm - Effort, PA
Hi Melissa, I have the REMstar Cpap and I have a humidity setting on mine so I can adjust how much humidity I get. Donna
Dawn W.
on 10/9/04 3:46 pm - LaPorte, IN
I have the same problem....and I dont know what to do! It has gotten so bad that I wake up feeling like I am drowning...if you find a solution please let me know! I stopped wearing my mask because of that reason!
Carol P.
on 11/5/04 12:44 am
I'm not sure of the type of mask he has but I just got the nasal cannula type of mask and it's great. The plugs go in your nose and the only thing on your face are the tubes that connect you to the C-Pap. I had trouble using the mask and this has helped. Does he have the humidifier? If so he might want to make sure that the reservoir is not filled too high to make sure that he is not getting too many water particles sent along with his continuous airflow.
Leslie Rodriguez
on 11/19/04 12:28 am - Lorton, VA
He can use it without the humidifier, to see if that helps, if adjusting doesn't solve the problem. I started without one, and then got it since I felt that I needed it. I stopped using it in the summer, and haven't resumed it -- and I'm fine! (I use the Nasal-Aire II.) Also, it might help to have a Autopap, since you just get as much air as you need, when you need it ... especially good if you have 'severe' apnea and the settings are very high. The fact is that you don't need it that high most of the time. I was set at 14, I think, but now I vary from 8 (most of the time) to 18, and it all happens automatically! The less air, the less moisture, etc.
Most Active