Terrible dry mouth

arlene S.
on 11/13/04 1:55 pm - berwyn, IL
I recently got a smaller mask due to a big weight loss. But Ithink I might be snoring again, cause my mouth is like the sahara desert in the morning. I live alone so theres nobody to tell me otherwise. Also it doesnt happen all the time. Can anybody help me out with this? Thank you, Arlene P.S. My mask is over nose kind.
Leslie Rodriguez
on 11/19/04 12:17 am - Lorton, VA
Do you have an autopap machine? Mine has a disk that can be read by a computer, and that tells you if you have a lot of leaks. It sure sounds like you do. Also, I find my mouth gets drier in the winter, anyway. Do you have the humidifier for your machine? I like to use mine in the winter, only. Some people also experiment with chin straps, or using a headband around the chin to keep the mouth closed. (I even used bandage tape a few times!) If it does turn out that you can't keep your mouth closed, I know that some people do use a full-face mask that covers the mouth and the nose, too. Seems pretty uncomfortable to me! (The Nasal Aire is plenty to have on my face!)
Sharyn
on 11/26/04 12:57 pm - Columbus, OH
I couldn't keep my mouth shut, so I had to switch to the nose and mouth mask. It didn't take any longer to get used to it than the nose mask. Don't worry if you need to switch.
Alice D.
on 11/27/04 5:29 am - Medina, OH
Hi! I tried a chin strap with my nose mask, but it didn't work. I got a full face mask and it doesn't keep my mouth closed or prevent it from getting dry (in fact it is worse!) but it does make the air go to my lungs instead of blowing out my mouth into the room. I tried the full face mask with the chin strap and that is a little better. I think I may have to really tighten up my face mask or continue to use the chin strap with it. I found my full face mask makes a louder noise of air escaping out the exhaust valve, but I guess hubby and I will get used to it....Good Luck! Alice
jennie145
on 11/29/04 9:47 pm - Monroeville, PA
I was getting really dry mouth and it was due to the pressure being to high. After weight loss the collapse isn't as bad. You may want to call your sleep doctor for a follow-up study. Jennie7/28/04 89#
philomena
on 12/7/04 6:24 am - Anonymous, MN
I keep a bottle of spring water by my bed, in one of those coolie things that go in the freezer. I get a new bottle and new coolie every four hours when I get up to nurse my baby. Tastes better and I think it moistens my mouth better when cold. I also use carmex and reapply when needed to keep my lips from cracking. I'm too lazy to refill my passive humidifier, that's probably one of my problems. Plus this climate where I live is dry. At one point, I needed to clean the humidifier (and was again, too lazy) so I just detached it. Don't do that if you started out with one, because when you disconnect it, and connect straight to the machine, the pressure feels stronger. I had a harder time breathing and had drier nose and mouth. Took me a while to catch on, too. Duh! LOL
Most Active