Can't wait for my CPAP!

slickgt
on 12/23/04 2:20 pm - Bolingbrook, IL
I am so sleep deprived I'm falling asleep when driving. No accidents yet that goodness. The other day I dozed off at a red light and was woken up by the car behind me honking. My CPAP machine arrives Wed 12/29. The sleep study tech said my setting is 17 (whatever that means). I simply can't wait to get a good nights sleep. How long does it take using the machine before you start feeling more rested? Thanks Ed
Shelly LaChance
on 12/24/04 9:58 am - Chester, IL
Oh my that is bad I hope you feel better with it soon ...Mine is set at 13 you will feel so much better ... I never did fall asleep when driving but got tired .. you will feel so much better ..DON'T DRIVE LOL if you don't have to till you get your cpap .... Good luck post back and tell us how you like it ...Shelly
Shelly LaChance
on 12/30/04 12:07 am - Chester, IL
Ed how was your first night with your cpap? Hope it went well I feel so great now it's been about 3 weeks for me .. You will tell in the first week.and it gets better good luck..Shelly
slickgt
on 1/1/05 1:57 pm - Bolingbrook, IL
Shelly, I don't have my machine yet because the day before it was supposed to be delivered the medical eq. store called and said they had to reschedule. So, it is supposed to arrive this coming Tuesday 1/4/05. I'm still excited but a little nervous at the same time. Everyone on the boards seems to have a lower setting than me and I'm a little nervous to use it without a sleep tech around. How are you doing? What is your setting? Ed
Shelly LaChance
on 1/1/05 10:56 pm - Chester, IL
mine is set at 13 ..what is yours going to be set at? I always start mine out on ramp and go to sleep.they also told me to set and watch tv with it on to get use to it..good luck I know you will do just fine..shelly
slickgt
on 1/2/05 1:19 am - Bolingbrook, IL
Mine will be set at 17. I assume ramp means it starts out slow and gradually works up to the setting? Do you use a mask that just goes over the nose or one that goes over your mouth and nose? Ed
Shelly LaChance
on 1/2/05 6:56 am - Chester, IL
Yes your right ramp starts out slow and goes up.I have the smaller one thats just on nose they let me try on diff ones when that came here to show me how to use the cpap I tryed the one over mouth and nose but just could not use it right...shelly
Gregory T.
on 1/2/05 12:54 pm - Harper Woods, MI
Ed. Yes your setting is very high. I believe 18 is the highest they can set it at. Mine was at 15 when I weighted 330#. Now I'm down to 255 and I was retested and the setting has been reduced to 6. Hopefully I will soon be off the c-pap altogether. I like you got my c-pap after falling asleep everywhere. Dr told me my sleep study showed I was vertually not sleeping at all and was very close to just dying in my sleep. I found releif on the very first nite I used my c-pap and it became my best friend. I got so much releif from mine that in the beginning I didn't even ramp it. Just put it on and fall asleep. I don't know if anyone has told you or not but using a humidifier with yours is a good idea when its set so high. Keeps your throat from drying out during the nite. There are two kinds. One is heated and the other is not. Due to the cost I went with the unheated one and regretted that but survived. I no longer have to use the humidifier at my current setting. Good luck when you get yours. You'll feel better soon.
Most Active