any other parents out there?

juliannesmom
on 7/26/10 11:59 am
I am an RNY pt and am torn all to peices about my daughter.  No matter what I do she keeps gaining weight and the only person who seems concerned, besides her pediatrician is me.  When I say no to french fries or ice creams her father says i'm mean, my mom keeps feeding her junkfood no matter what I do.  And tonight we had a huge blow up where she thought I was just trying to be mean and pick on her.  I love her and I don't want her to have to go thru what I have.  Are there any other parents out there who no how devastated I am for her.  I sure could use someone to talk to if anyone out there who feel like listening  and giving some words of wisdom
Becca   
Timothy S.
on 8/1/10 8:14 am - Grand Rapids, MI
I do understand what your going through.  We have five children, two of wich we have split custody with thier father.

We have tried for many years to watch our childrens weight (my wife and I both have major weight issues) There are countless stories and issues and it is hard to deal with.

only advice I can give is:  Don't buy ANY junk food... none...  Nothing... have apples carrots and yougart always available for the kids for a snack, so they feel like they can have whatever, whenever. (Regulate a littel if it is too much for your budget).  Let your child pick out snacks (one hundred cal snack etc)

It is all a head game, for you your children and those adults that are working against your best efforts.

You need to fool each one into thing he or she is in charge.  They have the choice...  They are the ones deciding what they want.  Taking control and making people think they have the illusion of control is the best way to handle any situation you want to go your way!  Be it adult or children....

Good luck, I hope I helped a little...

T.
"Check out my High School Diaries 1
                         High School Diaries 2
                         High School Diaries 3
"The road to hell is paved with adverbs." - Stephen King

(deactivated member)
on 9/15/10 12:55 am - Lafayette, IN
i definately understand how you feel. my 18 year old daughter is morbidly obese and  my 14 year old son is obese. until  my daughter was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes on monday, no one but me was concerned about her weight. i am totally frustrated and wish i knew how to help them beside saying " you cant have this and you cant have that".
Mary_1980
on 7/10/12 8:05 pm - Saudi Arabia
 Hi, I'm new to this forum. your first post struck me cause it sounded just like I was the one who posted it! everyone around me looks at me like I'm a mean heartless mom (including my daughter). it's not as simple as (don't bring any junk food home), we are literally surrounded by junk food, we go swimming and our company bring sugary drinks, cruissants, chips, I register her in a summer camp and most of their food is what I'd consider junk, even if other people disagree. at school too, they sell candy and chips, and how am I supposed to forbid her from being like her friends? if I want to forbid her from junk food, I'd literally have to lock her home. None of her friends suffer from obesity so they are careless about the type of food they eat in gatherings. and she is a very social person.
I'm really at loss, and she is gainning weight. she doesn't listen, and tries to get away with eating junk. I think I'm losing my mind :(
just to let you know that you're not alone out there
Maryam
juliannesmom
on 9/15/10 2:23 am
I hate always having to be the one who tells her no or who has to be the voice of reason about junk food.  But I'm kinda just at that point that if I don't do it, it has become very clear that NO ONE else will.  Hate this!!!!!
Becca  
Most Active