Help. confused about surgeries

Rayrole
on 2/12/11 5:42 am - OK
I am unsure about which surgery is right for me.. or if it right for me at all. I am 17, 5'8,  280lbs
is anyone my age gotten this surgery and if so how did you do?

kap63
on 2/15/11 6:49 am
My 17 year old daughter had the Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy 10/11/10 and has lost 60 lbs and a total of  78 lbs from her consult weight of 284. The VSG reduces the size of the stomach,but keeps the anatomy of the stomach and intestines intact.

We attended a seminar that our surgeon's office hosted. He explained the 4 main WLS options ( band,RNY,sleeve and DS). At the seminar he was available to answer questions and also spent a great deal of time at our consult making sure we understood our options and the pros and cons of each. Given my daughter's age,weight and family history of obesity we chose the VSG. I am a nurse and having a non-malabsorptive surgery  preserving her normal anatomy  was important to me. My daughter saw me live with the DS ( which is a sleeve stomach with intestines by-passed ) for a year before she had surgery and understood the changes that would need to be made.

My daughter had tried numerous diets and would lose 20 or 30 pounds but could not maintain that loss. She has PCOS and hypothyroidism so those pounds were a struggle. It is very disheartening to work that hard and still have a 100 or more pounds to lose.I don't have to tell you what it is like to be an overweight teenager.She was miserable and it affected every area of her life.

WLS is a drastic choice for anyone, even adults. Many would be critical of a parent or surgeon who does this for a teen. It has not been easy ( none are when you are first post op , plus she had to figure out how to get her fluids and food in at school ). Beth and I both still struggle with food addiction and head hunger. Weight loss does not magically take away our problems, but it has given her the self confidence and improved health to address her problems and make positive choices and changes. In that way it has truly changed her life. As a mother I am so grateful she had this opportunity at a young age.

Research the 4 surgery types and attend a WLS seminar. Go to some of the support groups and get an idea of what post op life will be like. I would also recommend you see a therapist if you have food issues.

I wish you success in your endeavors.

Karen

K

Tom Inge, MD
on 3/15/11 11:04 am - DENVER, CO
Hi Rayrole,
Your BMI is just over 40 so that means that your weight is a health risk for you.
We have had success with both gastric bypass and sleeve gastrectomy in adolescents. If you want more information about these two options, I'd be happy to send you some reference materials.

All the best,
tom inge, md
Cincinnati Children's Hospital

Thomas Inge, MD, PhD, Professor of Surgery and Pediatrics

Director, Adolescent Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery (www.childrenscolorado.org/bariatric)

Principal Investigator, Teen-LABS (www.Teen-LABS.org)

Children's Hospital Colorado and University of Colorado, Denver

[email protected]

Executive Assistant:

Karen Warnock

Phone: (720) 777-3179

[email protected]

Rayrole
on 2/16/11 11:51 am - OK
Thank you for your advice. I am defenately looking into it. i dont have insurence right now.. so i'll probably have to wait till im 18 to apply for anything. my family has a history with hypothyroidism..so it could be the same for me. i havent ever been tested.. but i need to be. thanks again.. and good luck on your daughter's journey.
Most Active