13 yrs out VSG (staples, not sleeve) WITH Gastric Bypass

who knows
on 8/17/14 4:30 am, edited 8/17/14 5:35 am

read my surg report and it says VSG   with the S being staples not sleeve.  I am not having much luck googling tht, it comes up with sleeve! Did anyone else have staples instead of sleeve ? is that just how they did it 13 yrs ago?  Any known complications from using staples instead of sleeve?   

Harleygirl2
on 8/24/14 10:23 pm - Redlynch, Australia

Your surgery is Vertical banded Gastroplasty VBG. I HAD IT 13 yrs ago to and got bypassed a year ago. Sleeves are stapled, we are just stapled in a pouch shape not a sleeve shape. 

Let me know if I can be of anymore help. :)

Awillis
on 9/15/14 5:51 am - Richardson, TX
RNY on 08/28/14

Right Harleygirl.  I had VBG (not sleeve) in 2003 and two weeks ago revision to RNY.  Didn't even know they were still doing VBG anymore.  My staple line disrupted and I gained back about half of the weight I had lost plus it was so easy to do slider foods and eat sugar.  With RNY my sugar eating comes with a kick in the butt if I eat it which is just what I needed.   So far I am good.

Harleygirl2
on 9/23/14 6:56 am - Redlynch, Australia

Hi Awillis, sorry for the late reply. yep I did the same, it's called a Fistula in the staple line, I revised to RNY last year, mine has been disappointing big time. I had 4 strictures from 2 weeks out. It closed completely so I had 4 dilations and the last one overstretched me and I lost all restriction. 

I was to get a Fobi ring in last Thursday but the hospital cancelled it. I find out today whether I'll be able to still get it or not. Good luck, dumping helps a bit. But depends how bad your dumping is and how strong your addiction is to food. 

Let me know how you go. :)

Harleygirl2
on 9/24/14 1:24 am - Redlynch, Australia

Hi Awillis, sorry for the late reply. yep I did the same, it's called a Fistula in the staple line, I revised to RNY last year, mine has been disappointing big time. I had 4 strictures from 2 weeks out. It closed completely so I had 4 dilations and the last one overstretched me and I lost all restriction. 

I was to get a Fobi ring in last Thursday but the hospital cancelled it. I find out today whether I'll be able to still get it or not. Good luck, dumping helps a bit. But depends how bad your dumping is and how strong your addiction is to food. 

Let me know how you go. :)

teddybear28_1998
on 11/10/14 5:02 am - Tulsa, OK

I had it in 2002. I'm waiting to have my reversed. My band has slipped and I can't keep solid food down. I've been throwing up on a daily bases for years. To the point it ruined my teeth. Had to have them all pulled.  I see the surgeon monday. Ugh not looking forward to it .. I'm having it all put back as before.. 

Most Active
Recent Topics
Gastro-Gastric Fistula after VBG
csingram · 0 replies · 4274 views
VBG revision
okgal50 · 9 replies · 8524 views
sleeve or the switch
Kerri_L_Denter · 1 replies · 8058 views