increased seizures with weight reduction surgery

mjracette
on 3/14/10 12:44 pm - Winnipeg, Canada
Hello,
I am considering weight loss surgery but have read up on seizure issues.  I have seizures and have come to the conclusion that I will not be able to have the gastric bypassdue to malabsourption but was wondering if anyone out there has had the sleeve done and also have seizures, did you have increased frequency of seizures?  Or is everything still the same?
tabbad
on 3/14/10 1:00 pm - Fort Worth, TX
I have epilepsy, however, I only had the surgery last Monday. I do not anticipate any issues. I haven't had any issues. I cannot see how the surgery would change my seizure activity, unless it was in the very beginning due to fatique. Good luck with your decision making!
mjracette
on 3/15/10 12:32 am - Winnipeg, Canada
Hello again,

Did you have the gastric sleeve?  please keep me posted on how you do... I hope you don't mind if I ask this of you?  I truly do not want you to have a seizure.
Thanks
OldMedic
on 3/15/10 1:38 am - Alvaton, KY
mjracette:

If you read the persons avatar (The part that gives their screen name, doctor, where they are from, etc.), it will usually tell what surgery they had.  The VSG is the Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy, sometimes called the gastric sleeve.

As to seizures with the sleeve.  I called the university medical center where I had my surgery done. I was informed that there is no higher incidence of seizures post op with the sleeve.  They do say that you medication will have to be closely monitoried as you lose weight, because as your body mass drops, you will likely need less medication.

They have performed this surgery on over a dozen people with grand mal seizures, and none of them had any change in their seizure pattern.

A former Army Medic (1959-1969), Registered Nurse (1969-2000), College Instructor (1984-1989) and a retired Rehabilitation Counselor.  I am also a dual citizen of the USA and Canada.

High Weight 412 lbs.                    Date of Surgery 360.5                                 Present  170 lbs   

Mimo12
on 7/9/20 6:56 am

Have u done it and how are u now?

mjracette
on 3/16/10 10:50 pm - Winnipeg, Canada
Thank you so much for looking into that for me.  I have been seizure free for 8 years and want to stay that way.  I have been reading and the Gastric Bypass is not the way to go for a person with my condition but the sleeve seems better from what I was reading and you have just confirmed it and glad to hear that people who have seizures have actually been ok'd to have surgery.  My concern was that having seizures may be a factor in deciding if I would be accepted or not.  I am healthy other than my condition and now I am feeling more optimistic.

Thanks so much again.

Monique
Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 58 views