1 yr Surgiversary (x-post)

KMDominguez
on 3/23/11 9:52 am
Hard to believe its been a year! It has flown by. I can tell you I feel better than I ever expected. I look great (if I do so say myself), and get compliments all the time. This is the best thing I have ever done for myself, and I am very glad I did it. 

My labs are good overall, though my ferritin has been trending down. Still normal, but I don't like that its dropping. I have added iron to see if that will help. This most concerns me because donating blood is important to me, and I don't want to lose the ability to do that.

Obviously the easiest thing to measure is weight lost. At my highest: 228. Day of surgery: 208. Today: 121.4 Ihave been hanging out in the low 120s for a few weeks and fluctuating a little. It never even occured to me I would lose that much. I would have been happy to get down to 150. I guess I am pessimistic at heart. But everything else had failed, and studies show 50-80%EWL with the sleeve.  So this is amazing! I am normal. And really, it was easy. No, I can't eat like I did before, but that is a small price to pay for feeling so much better. And being off my BP meds, and rid of my CPAP. I can wear a size 4! I can run, ride my bike, exercise, whatever I want, and it feels good, not like my heart is going to explode. The simplist thing, like climbing on the counter to get something off a high shelf is easy now, and I struggled before. Work is easier because my belly isn't always in the way.

One of these days I will get around to putting an updated pic up. One thing that hasn't changed is my hate of having pictures of me taken. I am still very self conscious in that regard, though I know I look better. 

So... drawbacks. Nothing that would make me not do this, but I lost a lot more hair than I expected, and it is very slow to grow back in. Not a big deal. I never thought I would want plastics, but now I am pondering it. My boobs are gone. I know 70 year old ladies with less floppy breasts than I currently have, so some augmentation is tempting. My arms, which had batwings for a while, have actually tightened up quite a bit, so I am happy there. My biggest problem area is my stomach, which doesn't have a lot of fat, and not really a panni per se, but is just not pretty. A tummy tuck may be in my future, if I can ever afford it and be able to take the time off to do it. The only other problem area is my butt- I have developed bumflaps! But maybe some exercise will help tone that a bit. I'm not so concerned about that.

That's all I can think of to say for the moment.
Katie       Photobucket

jthomp7889
on 3/23/11 10:00 am - Shrewsbury, MA
 Thannks for sharing and congrats. Good to hear some positive feedback for us newbies waiting in line. :)
carabarnes
on 3/23/11 10:30 am
Very inspriational! Great post! Congratulations

Cara 
current weight 123
I'm 28 and 5'5.

atlanta_living
on 3/23/11 10:40 am
Congratulations!!! Great job!
“You can suffer the pain of change or suffer remaining the way you are.?  ~Joyce Meyer~

Ht 5'0" /Consult Wt: 214 /Surg Wt: 205 /Goal Wt: 125 / Current Wt: 119       
MikeyMike
on 3/23/11 11:42 am - New York, NY
Congrats!!!

Highest Weight: 380                      Consult Weight: 357             Surgery Weight: 309 
Goal Weight: 220 (9/29/10)      Revised Goal Range 215-220         Current Weight: 224
Plastics: Circumferential Lower Body Lift - 11/18/2011
              Gynecomastia - 6/14/2012

Most Active