pic line

sarasar7
on 3/23/11 5:38 pm
Hi,
     My surgery  is April 18.  I am having a pic line put in because I have no veins for IV. They say they cannot do it the day of the surgery, so I must have it put in on April 14. Yuck I have to walk around and go to work for 2 days with this pic line in. does anyone else have a similar story with advice for me. Last time I had to have one they put it in my neck and they still had trouble getting blood, but it was great for meds and other things. I just can't imagine going into work with this line showing. I am not telling my coworkers about my surgery because I don't want to hear (how much have you lost).  There are many things that I am concerned about, but I want to know can I shower with this thing on?  I do think I am the first surgery of the day so thats good. I want them to be refreshed.  I am still looking for low priced high protein fruit flavor drinks I found the nutrition bullet but it is 40.00 dollars for 12 2.8 oz bottles. They do have 40 grms of protein in one. If anyone has suggestions please let me know.      Thanks
mamalegba
on 3/23/11 9:35 pm - Bonne Terre, MO
 Usually the PIC is put in your upper are ,ac area like right above the bent of the arm.  you could probably hide it by securing the tubing and wearing a little longer sleeved shirt.  Also on those protein bullets you mentioned--really watch stocking up on them because they are very sweet and after I had wls I could not stand anything sweet.  Your taste changes a lot.  I know I stocked uo on isopure which I loved brfore surgery and after surgery could not stand the taste,  Good luck with wls
Barbara        
baxteroni
on 3/23/11 9:57 pm - Indianapolis, IN
 My son had a PICC line placed when he was 4 (he had a severe infection and was able to go home with it for antibiotics).  The port was on the inside of his upper arm.  I remember wrapping his arm with a plastic bag for his showers, and it went fine.  He had it for 2 weeks.
 ~ Jen    
beth6226
on 3/23/11 11:56 pm - McAllen, TX
Hi there...

I had a PICC line put in as well (due to complications) and walked around with one for weeks.  It was placed on the inner portion of my upper arm.  I would cover it in plastic and tape it really well and was able to shower just fine. 

Good luck to you!!!

Liz
All I really gotta do is live, laugh, love, and die....  

HW: 257    SW:  257   CW:  155

Mary R.
on 3/24/11 2:22 am - OH
I had one in when I was19 for something different but the home nurses told me to get an old stretchy sock and cut the foot part off and use the other part to put around my arm to hide it and keep  the little port tucked in =)
"Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time" 
"Get busy living, or get busy dying" 

emonteaux
on 3/24/11 3:43 am - TX
I had a pic line for four weeks.  It was in the inside of my upper arm.  I went to work for two weeks with it.  The two connections were even with my elbow and easily hidden with a 3/4 sleeve shirt.  I covered it with plastic and tape to take a shower.  There is a great product called Expandage that you can cover it with.  It's a tubular expanding 'sock like thing' that you can slide up your arm.  It's very soft and easy to use.   I hope this information is helpful and that your surgery goes great. ~ Ellie 
Most Active