? about getting liquids in

Pam9802
on 3/26/11 11:02 am - MD
I am hoping to have my VSG surgery in August.  I have been reading this forum for the past few weeks.  There are so many people that say they have a hard time getting liquids in right after surgery.  Could someone explain this to me.  Is it hard because your throat hurts, it makes you sick to your stomach or you get full so quickly?  Thanks. 

becca11376
on 3/26/11 11:12 am - Ashland, OH
I too, had a hard time wondering about that, but I had surgery Thursday and I think it's just because of the swelling and the smaller stomach...I get  nauseous feeling when I take to big of a "sip" so it's just something to get use to....Hope that helps :)
Becca
I can do all things thru Christ who stregthens me.....Phil 4:13
HW: 268 Pre op 241- CW 198 Slow & Steady!    
_aprilh_
on 3/26/11 11:15 am - OK
It's hard to explain. I had my VSG this past Wednesday. First, I would have to say it is difficult to remember to take very small sips and the bigger sips hurt. There is a lot of pressure and irritation. My Dr said it was because everything, my esophagus and my stomach is angry and should calm down in a few days. So far, it has gotten a little bit better every day. I take my pain meds as well as meds for gas. I have only felt nauseous once after drinking my first protein drink too fast. It's a pain thing in the area of your stomach and your esophagus, along the diaphram. I am still glad I had the surgery and I know this is only the beginning on along road to better health.
"I can do all things through Christ who strenthens me!"
 April ~ 39y/o, 6'0", HW 292, SW 268.4, CW 188, BMI 26.7

SassyItalian
on 3/26/11 11:17 am, edited 3/26/11 11:19 am - Basseterre, St. Kitts and Nevis
You can only take very small amounts of liquid in at a time at first, there is almost a pressure if you take too much. I filled a liquid measurer (like the size of a liquid nyquil measuring cup) with 1 oz of liquid and had to drink that over 15 minutes. You kind of have to feel it to experience it. This is mostly due to the swelling in your stomach. Think of it as a funnel, you dont want to put too much in because it will sit at the top of the funnel.

But after a few weeks you can definitely drink more like normal because you wont get too much restriction with liquids. The restriction comes with solids.

HW: 258lbs  SW: 240   CW: 140  I am 5 foot 7 and 30 years old               
                 VSG 12/21/10  Plastics: Tummy tuck, breast lift, and augmentation 11/3/11
                                             Soon to be veterinarian!! xoxo

Brenda L.
on 3/26/11 11:18 am - Raleigh, NC
Water fills me up and I have to take small sips.
  Brendini                                                              
Pam9802
on 3/26/11 11:21 am - MD
Thanks so much everyone!

Most Active