Pain in Left Side ? Anyone ?

alicia601
on 3/29/11 4:37 am - NY
I been having this pain right under the left side of my rib cage for the past 2 weeks. It then radiates around to left side of my back a little. I dont know what the hell it could be. I dont know if it's gas pain, but I am on pepcid 2 times daily for gas. Has anyone ever experienced this kind of pain before? It's sometimes sharp like a knife point is poking at my left ribs. I dont feel it so much when I stand but when I sit, I feel it constantly. I am 8 weeks out of surgery and overall feeling good exept for this. Anyone ?

Linda M.
on 3/29/11 5:00 am - TX
I am only two weeks out, but, as a nurse I would guess that you need to get back to using your incentive spirometer, to increase your lung strength. It couldn't hurt, Good luck!
(deactivated member)
on 3/29/11 5:04 am
i dont know but want to say i hope it gets better soon
MrsClaus09
on 3/29/11 7:58 am
I have a similar pain in the same location but mine doesn't radiate to my back.  It's basically below my left breast and, like you said, feels like it has something to do with my ribs.  I'm only two weeks out today but called my surgeon's office last week to ask about it.  My nurse told me it is likely a muscle and that it could take awhile to feel better.  And, again...like you, other than this pain, I feel great!  But, the pain comes and goes and sometimes it's so bad, I'll still take my Roxicet.  Also, my pain is made worse by wearing a bra - not sure if you've noticed anything like that.

I see my surgeon for a follow up next week and will be asking about it again.  It's a real pain!
My journey:   http://abowlfullofjelly.blogspot.com/ w/ March 2011 Sleevers List
"Sleeve Santa Sleeve!"

HW: 309 ~ PreOpW: 306 ~ SW: 293 ~ CW: 184  
Carmelita
on 3/29/11 10:30 am, edited 3/29/11 10:34 am - Four Corners, NM
Ac****ep messin up

As long as yer not havin any other symptoms at all....sounds to me to be just the "normal"
L side pain we get....perhaps from a trocar or the stapler hittin & bruisin tissue/ a muscle inside ya when they're movin things around, maybe that's the port they removed yer excess tummy and bumped sumthin on its way out..can make it super sore...especially if ya wind up bending twistin in such a way as to "reinjure" it, or delay healin...post op.... like a sore bruise..hurts when ya mess with it, only inside. If ya ever look at surgery videos of VSG...ya see them really get that stapler up on that fundus...to get a clean incision seal. Ya can see the tip of that stapler hittin tissue like yer spleen and inside rib cage all over the place....this is a common juncture them havin to gettin in there...where leaks are most often caused. That's why I asked...if ya had any other symptoms.

...it should subside with time (think about how an outside bruise needs time to heal)...try to 'baby' it for awhile...easy on bendin, twistin for right now, maybe a heat pad every now again to yer tummy......I don't think its bowel gas.

Since its affecting yer back too...Im wonderin if ya could also have some trapped gas (carbon dioxide) heatin pad might help too. Some massages ...get yer SO in on that action!!

Be well...and rock that sleeve ;-)
alicia601
on 3/29/11 10:45 am - NY
I called my surgeon and he said more then likely it is trapped gas. I dont see how I should have that if I am taking pepcid 2x's a day. My tummy is always making noises and I am constantly burping. I never burped so much in my life ( before, after and during meals ) .. maybe it is trapped gas pain. I been on a full diet for the past 2 weeks or so when this started so it could be trapped gas. Hopefully it will go away. I dont think it's a leak or anything of the sort. I have no other problems and I am holding down food and liquids as well. Thanks everyone for your input. I guess I am just extra gassy :( 

Carmelita
on 3/29/11 11:32 am - Four Corners, NM
extra gassy? lolol

glad ya called n feel better already!! see how that works...lol

that gas in our shoulders (carbon dioxide) is from surgery..not bowel kinda gas.
yer gonna have ta work it out...
some shoulder type...like arm over head swings/rotations e-z does, it a few times a day.. heat pad, massages.  this'll pass!

Hang in there!
Christyr2943
on 3/29/11 10:47 am - MD
 Yelp! I had the same pain under the left rib.  Mine started at about 7 days out & lasted about 4 weeks.  It went away on it's own.  My doc allowed low dose Ibuprofen & ice.
  before pre-op diet =  327lbs. SW= 312 lbs. CW=214.6 lbs.                      

Jeep1974
on 3/29/11 10:53 am - MI
This is exactly what I came to ask about last night, except mine is on the right side.... My stomach was pulled out of the right side. I think I must have reinjured it lifting or swimming. My surgeons office was sort of annoyed that I was concerned about it. I tried advil with no luck..... They said to try a heating pad.

I am concerned that it has gotten worse in the last few days but i guess I started feeling the pain around week6. I am in week 9 now.

tracy327
on 3/29/11 11:06 am
I had the exact same thing. I am almost 8b months out and dont remember how far out I was or how long it lasted but remember coming on here to ask. I was worried it was gallbladder or somethoing else. it went away though & bi rememebr reading that it was very common! Good luck. I hope you're feeling better soon!

Most Active