Secrets from a former fat girl!

twobluecats
on 3/29/11 9:06 am
VSG on 12/14/09 with

So, here goes.  I'm a work in progress with about 15 pound before I reach my own goal.  I'm just over 15 months out, and I've lost 120 pounds, including 16 preop. 

Things you should know about me:

1.  I love food.  Always will.  Not ashamed of it, and life wouldn't be as fun without it.

2.  We travel almost every weekend.  That has made my road to success even more interesting because we visit fun places with great food, and we stay gone for a while sometimes.  I just have to get back on the pony and ride a little harder.  Not for everyone, but what I'm willing to do to continue enjoying our great passion of seeing the world!

3.  I'm married without kids. 

4.  Exercise....meh......not my favorite, but I add it when I can.  I should do more.

What I consider my secret weapons:

1.  myfitnesspal.com  I track my food daily.  It's not for everyone either, but I do it because it keeps my head in the game; it ensures that I really am eating as balanced as I should; and it's what made me successful in the zillion attempts in the past to lose.  It was only when I stopped tracking that I put all the darn weight back on....more than once.  It's the outta sight, outta mind syndrome.  I will do this forever just like brushing my teeth or combing my hair.

2.  Weigh daily.  See above.  I don't beat myself up for fluctuations, but hiding in the sand isn't for me.  I need that daily reminder that I'm in this for life. 

3.  I have maintained my doctor's recommendation of protein first, veggies second, and carbs with what room is left from day one. 

4.  My averages are 600-800 calories, 30-40 carbs, and 70 plus protein.

5.  I know that eating crap adds pounds QUICK.  That said, I've never said anything (other than sodas just because) is off limits.  I love food, remember?  Pizza is my all time favorite, and I have it.  I just don't eat crap three times a day (even a week) like I once did.  There is no food that I don't enjoy on occasion such as the delightful sushi made with normal white sushi rice last night.  Or the cupcake that I should not have had but tasted damn good.  I'm more in control of my habits now, and I can have those things from time to time.

6.  LIVE LIFE.  I probably think about my weight way too many times a day to be considered healthy.  But, after being overweight and oversized my entire adult life, I know that I have to keep my eye on the prize.  Being thin is not a natural occurence for me.  I have to work at it.  But, I live like there is no tomorrow when it comes to traveling, learning, laughing, etc.  Great food is and will always be a significant part of my life, but it does not control me anymore. 

Not sure where this rollercoaster of a ride will end, and I'm sure not convinced I will be one to have to work hard to avoid losing (that just seems surreal..still).  But, I LOVE where I've been thus far, and I hope that my journey will inspire at least one other person to use this gift of surgery to change your life.  You are 100 percent responsible for the outcome.

Theresa

txangel22
on 3/29/11 9:24 am
Theresa,
You have done such an amazing job and you have so much to be proud of!!! So a big CONGRATS to YOU!!!! Wohoo!!!  I also wanted to let you know that we all really appreciate reading posts such as yours because it gives each of us hope for success and really helps us in terms of giving us much needed advise and pointers!!! Thank you so much and I really enjoyed reading about your experience!!! Congrats again on your success and goodluck with the last 15!!!
Kala

1st Month - 30 lbs 2nd Month - 8 lbs 3rd Month - 11 lbs
KCChris
on 3/29/11 9:37 am - KS
 Thanks for the tips. As a soon to be former fat boy I shall take them to heart hehe
My heart is all mine and my mind is free. That's all the revolution; revelation that I need.
Joanne0615
on 3/29/11 10:52 am
Thank you for your candiness!!! What a great journey!!!
Joanne                
Sunshine115
on 3/29/11 11:01 am - MI
I love it! Thanks for your honesty.

Jennchap
on 3/29/11 11:22 am - CA
 Love your post and point of view! I like the idea of existing within reality rather than creating a world with mass amounts of off limits food. I too believe self control and good choices most of the time are the key.
HW 275   SW 229   CW 136 

beckyinkc
on 3/29/11 11:22 am
VSG on 07/25/12
Ok, your "things you should know about me" sound like we could be sisters!!! :)  Congrats on losing and living your life!
Could_It_Be
on 3/29/11 11:41 am
 Thanks for sharing this!
Jenn H.
on 3/29/11 4:23 pm - Portland, OR
What a great post!  You're totally someone I'd want to be friends with in real life.

Age: 32 | Ht: 6' | HW: 350 | Pre-op: 330 | SW: 311 | CW: 207 | My Blog: vsgjenn.tumblr.com

Monthly loss: 1,-24lb/2,-13lb/3,-11lb/4,-12lb/5,-11lb/6,-14lb/7,-9lb/8,-8lb/9,-7lb/10,-3lb/11,-5lb/12,-10lb/13,-3lb/14,-1

twobluecats
on 3/29/11 10:45 pm
VSG on 12/14/09 with
Thanks to all, and VERY GOOD LUCK rockin' your sleeve!

Most Active